3. Termalaine

load previous
Mar 1, 2022 8:41 pm
Zin moves quiet as a shadow through the restaurant, his cold eyes sweeping over the occupants and lavish accompaniments. When they reach the booth with the speaker, his furrowed brow and masked face take in the Speaker himself. Sweeping up and down the half-orc's frame, obvious disdain in the excess of wealth and privilege the public figure seems to be flaunting even if innocently. Zin pointedly doesn't sit, but crosses his arms across his chest and turns to lean his back against the wall of the booth, scanning the other inhabitants like they were riled mountain cats.

Edmund_Balworth sent a note to Adam
Mar 2, 2022 7:07 am
Rayne follows the group along after a night's rest on the half-orc's floor. After picking up Anders and and arriving in Termalaine, he already feels more comfortable with the bustle of humanity around him that isn't as broken as the denizens in Targos. He better understands now the conflict with the fishermen the previous evening, but also wonders who could defend Targos.

As they arrive at the Blue Clam, Okto's rumbling belly reminds him that he also hasn't eaten in the better part of a day. He remains silent as the host ushers them in and tries to strip them of more coin before they are even seated, though her descriptions of the food make his mouth water.

Once seated, he greets the speaker with a hard stare, "Adventurers indeed we are, and successful ones at that. Why don't you start from the top and tell us about your mining problem, and keep in mind that adventurers are more amiable to solving other's problems on a full stomach."
OOC:
Lets just say I'm saving the rolls for when they really count, I think :)
Last edited March 2, 2022 7:09 am

Rolls

Intimidation (aka free lunch check) - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Call me Oarus

Adam

Mar 2, 2022 9:07 am
Oarus shakes Okto's hand warmly.

"The pleasure's mine, Okto. Do I detect a Targos accent there? A local hero! Does Ma still serve the best blubberdumps in Ten Towns? Wonderful woman, once you get past her unfortunate curse she's one of the kindest souls in the Frozenfar. Give her my regards, won't you?"

The Speaker rises,

"Hungry? That sounds like an opportunity to show you what this is all about.

Termalaine's sacrifice to Auril is warmth. On the new moon, we forgo all forms of heat for a day and a night. But some of Termalaine's citizens are so sick and malnourished that the cold might as well be a human sacrifice. Sister Mistletoe runs a kitchen and clinic to help those who might not survive the brutal cold."

He waves Cynthia over to bring his coats.

"Mining licenses are a significant source of revenue for Termalaine, and help fund Sister Mistletoe's work.

The mine is arranged around a central shaft that goes deep, deep into the underdark. A miner went missing a week ago. The other miners feared that something crawled up from the underdark, but if she fell down the shaft we'd never find the body. But the real problem is the kobolds - they crept in from the surface about five days ago and drove the miners out.

The town has scraped together some gold as a reward for anyone who can clear out the mine. The job is to clear out the mine and ensure it's safe for the miners to return to work."

The speaker indicates the door, and that you should follow him across town.

"My guess is you thought you'd see whether wealthy Termalaine could afford more than the fifty gold, eh? Truthfully, we can't. The town is running on the philanthropy of its wealthier residents but in these dark times, generosity is strained.

But I believe there's a deal to be done here. How are you transporting your equipment? Perhaps a dog sled would be of use to you, especially when you need to transport all the treasure you'll find on your adventures. You'll regret not having one when you find a hefty dragon's haul.

By the way, does your party have a name yet? I'm sure the bards will want to sing of your heroic deeds once you've cleared the mine."

The speaker gestures to the exit.

"Sister Mistletoe's kitchen is on the way to the mine. We'll grab a blubberdump broth there, not as good as Ma's but it will show you the good works you'll be supporting by clearing the mine, whilst putting some gold in your purse."

Adam sent a note to Edmund_Balworth
Call me Oarus

Rolls

Secret Roll

Mar 2, 2022 11:21 am
Greetings, Speaker Masthew. Local heroes? You, indeed have two before you who have already been immortalized into an epic song ripe with battle wagons, polar bears, and goblins and that's only the first chorus. Obviously, you have not heard the tune as you would not soon forget a tale of such bravery and skill. Perhaps, I might give you a taste while we travel over to Sister Mistletoe's kitchen as we look forward to a portion of blubberdrop broth.

Bells once again dresses for the weather outside except the donning of her gloves.

A fine notion to have a name to hang the multitude of successes this group of adventurers has had on. The bard unwrapping her stringed instrument plucks a few notes before launching into song as they traveled.

Bells let's their exploits sink in, It's true that times are hard with generosity scarce but not everything is counted in coin. The fact the mine supports the soup kitchen we are approaching is noted but it would be far more detrimental to those who own the mine. Every day the mine would be shut down would be another day of no profits. With our help, we could get the operations up and running as soon as possible. What about we take the gold offered, the dog sled, and a soak in the famous waters after the mission is accomplished?
Last edited March 2, 2022 11:28 am

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Mar 2, 2022 11:27 am
As the group walks, Zin puts a hand on Bells shoulder and leans to whisper in her ear We should take just the offered reward. I believe this man to be providing the reward personally and from his dress, I don’t believe he has much. Zin’s eyes seem to be filled with sorrow and worry as he observes Oarus.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Mar 2, 2022 11:54 am
Bells gives a nod of understanding as new eyes wash over Oarus. Could it be true that in a sea of opulence this man sacrificed what others would not so the least among them would not suffer? A true servant to the people?

Or perhaps at least the name to the finest bath house so we can have a well deserved soak after we rid the mine of its menace. Your orginal offer is fair and we will accept.

Oarus

Adam

Mar 2, 2022 12:22 pm
"Excellent!" exclaims Oarus

"This is why people love adventurers; you're decisive and direct.

They say that politics is the art of the possible. Fie! I say. With good hearts and strong spirits, anything is possible. Why, if this were a negotiation with the council, we would still be discussing who would feed the dogs and what constitutes dog food! But with honest heroes and..."

He trails off chuckling to himself, somewhat embarrassed.

"My apologies. Recently, there have been so many stump speeches that I sometimes fall back into them.

I shall speak with Marta at The Eastside. She's a true friend of Termalaine, and I'm confident that she will allow you the use of a fine suite at her Spa. It's not like Termalaine attracts that many tourists now.

No. No. You'll be helping by looking after the pups. I'm a politician! Did you think I would give something that didn't also benefit me? No. It's always been bad optics, feeding the dogs whilst children starve. It's taken a lot of political clout to keep the kennel off the dining table. But they're such lovely pups, and I'd like something to remain of my soul when the Rime ends.

The gold, the dog sled, and a suite at the spa during your stay. It's a fair trade, and I believe in fairness."

You arrive at a ramshackle outbuilding and its queue of Termalaine's poor. A pair of bored town guards lean on spears watching over the scene. The contrast between The Blue Clam and this destitute bunch is as stark as cosiness and frostbite.

"Here we are! Termalaine's crest is a gem and a fish. You've seen the gem; now meet its honest fishers."

The people look at you with a sort of resigned fear. You are new faces, and these people have learnt that all change brings new woe.

Standing with the many children are fishermen and women bearing terrible wounds. Okto knows these injuries. Targos's and Termaine's fishers often war on the maer, fighting with billhook and scimitar over the best fishing spots.

Oarus gladhands the crowd who seem anxious to speak to him. He offers reassuring words to the people and returns with some wooden bowls.

"The queue for the meal moves quickly; it's the food parcels that take the time. But Sister Mistletoe won't give a parcel unless they've also had a hot meal. It gives her time to look at the bairns and pregnant women.

Marvellous woman. If you ever return this way and need healing poultices and tinctures, then you should visit her. They sting like nine hells but are quite effective."

Oarus
Mar 2, 2022 1:16 pm
Edmund_Balworth sent a note to Adam
Mar 2, 2022 3:41 pm
Bells gratefully accepted the wooden bowl full of warming nourishment. Maybe one day, she would be forced to survive on the bland dry rations of her pack but not today. Between sips she meets the eyes of curious children peeking from behind their mother's skirts. A slight wave sending a dark haired child even deeper into the folds of the homespun fabric.

Ah. So a more indirect approach. With her instrument by her side Bells unclassified the scarf at her waist. Careful tying of a knot here and there created a crude replica of a doll with a long trail of hair. Then with a scratchy old voice she called, Rapunzel, Rapunzel. Where are thou? Let down your hair! Bells then waved the doll letting the length of the fabric flutter in the breeze catching the attention of all before telling the fairy tale of the trapped princess who was rescued by her true love.

A tough audience to be sure. Children are never THAT polite to try and salvage your ego when you don't connect. Bells graciously accepted the most she was going to receive was a few smiles. It was enough.
Last edited March 2, 2022 3:46 pm

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Mar 2, 2022 8:16 pm
Anders moves along with the group, following and keeping silent. Bells seemed to be in her element, and he didn't particularly want to be the target of her ire once again. He was especially grateful to have someone handle the negotiations. As they discuss sled dogs, he begins formulating plans in his head to add a large kennel to his shack, and weighing options on how to feed them. After all, where else would they stay? In Okto's humble apartment?

The soup was delicious, the wooden bowl warming his hands. But as he eats, the chunks in the broth bring his mind to the fishermen outside, the wounded warriors. The price of food in the north was not always paid with coin, as was evident with the conditions. He had been lucky enough to have very few conflicts on the water, as he only needed a small number of fish and therefore was willing to take the less ideal spots on the lake. Many a time had he looked up from his meditation in his nearly seaworthy vessel to see ships colliding, and he was always brought back to his days as a corsair. But those days were long behind him. And so he consumes the soup.
Mar 3, 2022 8:18 pm
Zin watches Bells with a puzzled look on his face. Why would she interact so with a child? What benefit does she see? Is it possible this one is different... Zin is interrupted from his observations as a bowl of soup is shoved into his hands. At first, he looks to return the bowl but his stomach growls reflexively. He looks about for a secluded place to sit on his own and eat his meal.
Mar 4, 2022 4:16 am
Rayne takes his place in line, his stomach grumbling the whole while. When the bowl is placed in his hands, it takes all of his willpower to not devour it on the spot. He nods his thanks and walks off, seeing Zinvaris moving away from the group. He follows, and takes a seat next to him. While eating his soup, he says to Zinvaris, "Our earlier conversation was interrupted, but I am still curious how you knew about the mines. You don't exactly look like a native."
Last edited March 4, 2022 5:59 am

Oarus

Adam

Mar 4, 2022 9:06 am
OOC:
It's Friday, so I'm posting.
The kitchen offers simple fare, but the people and their reasons for being here are varied. Their dialects are a stew of dwarvish, Calishite, moon elf and salt-dog. They form into tribal knots at the tables, as is people's wont; they break bread together yet are somehow still separate. The children of hunters play hide-and-seek. The fishers mend nets as they natter. Scrimshanders sit alone and pick at knucklehead ivory with pins and scalpels between slurps of soup.

Targos and Termalaine - the two warring siblings on the Maer.

It was hard to say Targos without prefixing it with Mighty. It's the largest lake town and only eclipsed by Bryn Shander, and it carries itself with a belligerent swagger as if the whole place says, "We're Targos. Who the hells are you?!". Its iced-in fishing fleet looks like a war machine, and the people are as hard and straightforward as boat nails. When the Priestess of Auril told the people of Targos to 'endure', it was well pitched; it's a word those salts know well.

Termalaine feels... complicated, political, and delicate. Its people are fishers, foresters, miners, hunters, jewellers, scrimshanders, and wealthy nobles hiding away until the revolutions of their homelands had turned full circle. Their lives and roles in Termalaine society are a web of interdependencies - and webs are fragile.

Targos felt like solid ice eroding under the blasting hardship of the Rime, whereas Termalaine is blessed with resources but seems fractured and ready to shatter.

Oarus finishes his rounds and returns to you looking tired and drained. Nevertheless, he draws on his deep well of orcish resilience for a drop of bonhomie. He rubs his hands together enthusiastically.

"Are you fit and ready to tackle the mine?

I'll make sure Marta's spa is ready for you upon your triumphant return."
OOC:
Lol! Ignore the roll. I was just playing with Fate dice.
Oarus

Rolls

1 Positive, 0 Blank, 3 Negative - Total: -2

Mar 4, 2022 11:20 am
Zinvaris sat with his head buried in his bowl. As Rayne came to sit down and started talking to him, he starts in surprise and quickly pulls his scarf up. Before he gets it in place, Rayne sees what Zin has been hiding.

Zinvaris’s face is a picture of Elven beauty. Bronze colored delicate skin with features in perfect harmony with the size and shape of his face, complimenting his jet black hair and his piercing blue eyes. He would be beautiful, if it weren’t for a large garish scar on his left cheek. It starts close to his ear in between cheekbone and jaw and makes a path down along his jaw before turning up to meet the corner of his mouth. It spans an inch and a half wide by five inches long and showcases the underlying muscle of Zin’s cheek. Where it connects to his mouth, it pulls his mouth down slightly making it seem as if he has a permanent frown from the left.

Once Zin’s face covering is back in place he looks at Rayne, his wild eyes intent on witnessing the telltale reaction, a flinch, a gasp, a look of horror. With disdain and animosity laced heavy in his voice Zinvaris responds I listen…
Mar 4, 2022 5:03 pm
Anders eyes had been wandering throughout the conversation, before finally settling on the two mysterious members of his crew. Both Rayne and Zinvaris had seemed odd to him, but at least they were finding companionship with each other. Meanwhile, he hears Okto and Bells chatting with the Speaker beside him. He sighs.

It is through his recent observations of both Targos and Termelaine that he begins considering why he finds himself torn between the two, separate from both. Targos is his past. It reminds him so much of Luskan, though focused more on survival than on the commerce. He related to their strength and endurance. But he also feared what they were capable of in that pursuit. The ships, intended for fishing, could easily be used the way his ships had in the past. Termelaine, however, represented his future. It is people connected, people actually living their lives. That they had found a community and managed to stave off the cold inspired him, but the fragility of the city worried him. He, himself, had struggled internally with his own fragility, and it was troublesome to see it in brick and mortar.

And just like that, he heard the Speaker ask the question he had been waiting for. Were they ready to take on the job? Were they up to the task? Anders looks between Bells and the Speaker, nodding. "Aye. We are ready and able." What else needed to be said?
OOC:
Don't forget to regain a Fate Point for failing the roll!
Mar 4, 2022 6:01 pm
OOC:
Sorry Dsquid!

Zinvaris gets up from the table glaring at Rayne, before walking over and handing back his partially eaten soup bowl. He moves up to the Speaker and says in a cold voice. Speaker, point me to the mine. I find myself with a strong desire to hurt something. Zinvaris immediately walks off in whatever direction is indicated, ducking into the nearest shadow to start a stealthy scouting approach.
Mar 4, 2022 6:07 pm
Okto is saddened to see the rough side of Termalaine, not because he felt sympathy for its denizens (it has more or less the same struggles as everyone else in Icewind Dale, Okto felt more sympathy for the region at large), but because Termalaine was easy to be the brunt of jokes and the target of disdain when it's clear that they are the haves while you are the have-nots. Okto willingly bought into that notion, probably knowing somewhere deep down that it wasn't true, that while of course every one of the Ten Towns is different, they're all the same really. It would be harder to listen to his prejudiced sailor mates go on and on about the evil wealthy Termites after being confronted with the true nature of the city.

Okto catches the Speaker's face as he reapproaches the group, and relates to him so deeply, with the constantly having to lean on that natural fire, the inherent resilience in order to put on a happy, friendly, energetic, brave face. Even with this internal conflict raging, Okto continues the pleasant conversation during the meal with the Speaker and Bells, trying to learn more about Termalaine and the Speaker himself. But when everyone has finished their meal and Zin delivers his desire, Okto's doubts and suspicions creep into his eyebrow as it arches dubiously. Okto loves a good fight, don't get him wrong, but something about the newcomer's words strikes him as foreboding.
Mar 4, 2022 6:28 pm
Anders catches Okto's expression, his own face showing something similar. It was one thing to want to help the people, to make some coin... but to simply have a desire to do harm, that was another matter entirely. It is possible that the masked newcomer simply misspoke, or was trying to put on a tough bravado. Anders shrugs and prepares to follow, pending Bells' actions.
Mar 5, 2022 5:27 pm
Every show must end and so it was it was with pleasant interlude. The food had been filling, the playful antics of the children amusing and there had been conversation about puppies. Apparently, some were white fur balls that could disappear in a snow drift if not for their dangling pink tongue hanging from lips that actually smilled. Bells couldn't wait to visit the kennels.

The bard ducked into the food tent, Sister Mistletoe, your hospitality has been appreciated by all in my party. Please don't fret about the mines. We will do our best to make sure they are operational, hopefully, by the end of the day. I wouldn't want funding for your important work to be compromised. Bless you!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.