4. A Beautiful Mine

A Beautiful Mine

Adam

Mar 5, 2022 12:13 pm
Termalaine Mine - 19 Uktar 15:00

Let's look at snowflakes forming. The crystals grow based on the warmth of the environment in which they rise and fall. They're unique because each of their histories differs. Most will perish, but others accrete, and time and pressure will form them into mighty glaciers that will shape the world.

Now we look at our protoheroes making their way to the mine. Their histories differ, and some of them have known little warmth. But are they coming together? Will time and pressure shape them into a mighty force that will forever change Icewind Dale?

Mercifully, the trees shelter you from the vicious clawwind that batters Termalaine from the north. The path through the woods swarms with clouds of biting gnats. It's unusual to see insects in these frozen climes, and you fancy that perhaps you even hear a few bees. The woods smell mulchy and resinous. Insects and smell are two novelties in Icewind Dale's outdoors, providing more evidence that whilst Auril controls the winds here, she has not yet dominated this forest.

After thirty minutes walking, you reach the entrance to the gem mine - an open tunnel in a hillside. Empty carts are parked near the opening, next to which leans crude wooden sign on which the words "Kobolds only!" are emblazoned in charcoal calligraphy using the Common language.

The dark tunnel has low ceilings and is wide enough for only a single file. Rough-hewn steps descend into the mine.
OOC:
What are the humans doing about light?
A Beautiful Mine
Mar 5, 2022 2:49 pm
Living in Targos and on the Maer, it has been years since Okto has seen a single insect, and having come of age during the reign of the Frostmaiden, he honestly was beginning to wonder if perhaps they were a childhood dream, something he made up and never actually existed at all, akin to an imaginary friend (which Okto had tons of as a kid). He feels a certain nostalgia as they wander through the forest, enough to bring a sad smile to his face.

Before entering the mine, Okto takes out his torch and tinderbox and lights the torch, then passes it off to whoever needs it, since he does not. "Alright, everybody ready?" He says excitedly. "Let's head on in, and while I'm perfectly fine with clearing the mine out the old fashioned way, remember our fight with the goblins: they can usually be reasoned with, so we can maybe not lead with our weapons." As he speaks, Okto looks deliberately at Zin, not in a threatening way, but more in a way that seeks validation of understanding.
Mar 5, 2022 6:56 pm
Bells frowned as another gnat bit her tender skin. Maybe the bard was a bit vain but worse than any sting was a red welt that might be left behind marring her lovely visage. Who wants to hear love ballads from those who look as if they have the pox?

The petite desert rose had trouble not being left trailing behind. Her gait only being one of the reasons as she stopped to gather clumps of fresh pine needles along their journey. By the time the party arrived at the mine, sap stained her fingers while the bard smelled like an evergreen tree. Oarus, please, give these needles to Sister Mistletoe so she can brew a tea. Many could benefit from the support to their constitution but the woman with child would especially be helped. Now if you could give us rudimentary instructions on how the equipment works, we will take it from here.

As the torch flared briefly illuminating the half-orc's tusk in what would have been an intimidating manner if the bard had not known his nature, Bells reached for the light source keeping other's hands free. Mayhap, I would do best to be the torch bearer. I wish to cause no violence if another way can be found, but if no other choice is offered, we will do as we must. I have hope. We are dealing with intelligent creatures...they did make a sign and even spelled it correctly so perhaps it won't turn deadly.
Mar 5, 2022 8:52 pm
As Zin makes his way through the trees along the path, his mind is back in his youth sprinting over fresh snow in the mountain forests of home. There was such peace then, the muffling snow dampening the usual din of the forest floor. Pine, cedar and fir mixed together in an intoxicating aroma that could calm any restlessness and liberate the soul. He saw Keldaris there, trailing him on the left, how he loved his brother. He never avoided the left…

Zinvaris comes from his reverie having calmed his anger and fear, perching next to a tree watching the group approach. He felt Kel’s appearance… just beyond sight over his left shoulder. They’ve seen Zin said simply. Mother’s love of you? Kel asked. Silence hung heavy in the air, tears streaming down Zin’s cheeks. Give them a chance, Zin. Not every bud flowers, especially in the cold. But you and I both know one bud may be more beautiful than all others. Zin watches the group silently before saying Thank you and turning to look at Kel. He knew the ghost was gone before his eyes confirmed it. Zin wipes tears away and squats as the group approaches.

Hearing Okto’s and Bells reservations, he nods. His eyes calm now. Perhaps a delegation to meet them then? I could provide assistance from the shadows if it goes awry? no animosity or anger is evident in his voice, rather a bland impassiveness.
Mar 6, 2022 3:00 am
In his experience, reasoning with creatures like goblins and kobolds had rarely succeeded. If course, his experience had always been acting before talking until rather recently. Perhaps they had a point. Though his bow was out and an arrow near at hand, he lowered it to simply be ready. He nods to nobody in particular.

He takes a position somewhere behind Okto, looking to Rayne and suggesting the man covered the rear. Even if they came in peace, Kobolds were as clever as they were craven, and were wont to strike from behind. And as they approached the entrance, he takes a big gulp of air. It wasn't that he was afraid of the deep, it was that he recognized and respected the danger it represented. Honestly.

The mine

Adam

Mar 6, 2022 11:30 am
Oarus doesn't go into the mine much, but he believes the only equipment is a bucket lift to move between levels. He thinks it's fairly easy to operate.

Rough-hewn steps descend 60 feet leading to a chamber. Racks holding picks and hammers are nailed to the walls of this small cavern. Rock dust and tracks cover the floor.

The sound of fast, rushing water echoes through the corridors. Despite the rack on the walls here, it appears that the miners have just flung their tools and pegged it.

The east corridor leads to a cave. The east end of that dusty cave is five feet higher than the west end, with a rocky ridge separating the two areas except for slopes on either side.
OOC:
I think this is the marching order Anders suggested.

The mine
Mar 6, 2022 4:51 pm
With dreams of cave-in dancing in his head, Anders collects one of the picks and straps it to his pack. He continues in, but turns to the newcomer. "Perhaps scouting would be useful here. No needless risks."
Mar 6, 2022 5:21 pm
Zinvaris nods at Anders. He tries to back into the shadows of the cavern. His lack of subterranean experience shows itself immediately. As he follows the shadows from one wall to another, he crosses open space plainly visible as he makes his way down the south passage.
OOC:
Zin moves to C11
Last edited March 6, 2022 5:29 pm

Rolls

Stealth +7 - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

The mine

Adam

Mar 6, 2022 8:45 pm
OOC:
I'm not going to punish that roll.
Zin creeps down the corridor. It ends in a 7' high ledge that overlooks a room strewn with pebbles and gravel. Benches and tables are set up as workspaces. Scattered across the floor are a few hammers, picks, and broken lanterns.

The mine
Mar 7, 2022 7:25 am
Rayne never considered himself claustrophobic, but he hopes there aren't any passageways more narrow than the one he is currently in. He looks around in the dim light, not able to see much past Anders into the room beyond. "I'll bring up the rear and keep any nasty surprises from sneaking up on us if that's what you need from me. But if we end up fighting any kobolds lets try to bring the combat into the open. There isn't much room for maneuvering in these halls."
OOC:
Once the others have filtered through to follow Zin, Rayne will take up a position at E9.
Last edited March 7, 2022 7:28 am
Mar 7, 2022 10:34 am
Bells wince a bit as her namesake seemed to reverberate through the cave. Mouthing the word, "sorry", seemed a little bit too little a little bit too late. However, it might be possible for her to mislead the kolbolds if there was a safe place for her to jingle while others scouted or even set an ambush.
Mar 7, 2022 5:18 pm
Zin hugs the walls and continues further down the tunnel. Coming to a corner leading to a ledge, he slowly peeks his head around to survey what looks to be an abandoned workshop.
OOC:
Zin will continue to make his way as stealthily as possible to D14 to get a better view of the room below.

The mine

Adam

Mar 7, 2022 5:26 pm
This area looks like workstations where the miners chip the rocks from their gems and roughly dress them. Zin sees that the north tunnel provides gentle access to the cavern. Flowing water can be heard from the north-east. Zin's dark-adapted eyes scan the area, but see no threats.

The mine

Rolls

Zinvaris Willowmire: Perception - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Mar 7, 2022 10:11 pm
Wanting to be the first target if someone were to jump the group, but also not wanting to give the party away with his heavy armor (which clinks and clangs just about as much as Bells' bells jingle and jangle), Okto moves to the front of the pack, but then stops and waits for updates from Zin.
OOC:
Moves to F9,
Does Bells have the Message cantrip?
Mar 7, 2022 10:56 pm
Anders moves to where Zin stands, and holds his bow at the ready. This was a good overlook in case of trouble in the room below. He ushers the odd man on to continue his search, and crouches down to wait. In his mind, he curses at himself for not ripping the bells off of Bells. In the snow, at least the sound was muffled. In here, however, they would echo through and alert anyone with at least one ear and half a brain. "Go on ahead, I'll be watching from here. And see if that woman will please leave those carillon bells behind for the time being." Hopefully she would listen, and be upset at the newcomer rather than Anders himself. A slight grin grows on his face as he imagines someone else being talked down to.
OOC:
A carillon is a pitched percussion instrument that is played with a keyboard and consists of at least 23 cast bronze bells in fixed suspension and tuned in chromatic order so that they can be sounded harmoniously together.
Mar 8, 2022 12:36 am
Zinvaris silently nods at Anders. He makes his way back up the tunnel to Rayne. His brows furrow slightly at sight of the man. He whispers to the group There is a ledge up ahead that overlooks an abandoned workshop this way. Zin gestures down the middle passage. Anders will cover me while I scout this room… it is a wonder the whole cavern isn’t upon us already Zin quietly exclaims glaring at Bells due to an untimely ringing. Zin puts a finger to the front of his mask pantomiming silence and makes his way down the center passage to the workshop.
OOC:
Zin moves to F11
Last edited March 8, 2022 12:36 am
Mar 8, 2022 3:06 am
Rayne nods to Zinvaris as the elf disappears silently over the edge, then turns his attention back to the area they travelled from, watching for any signs of movement.
OOC:
I just looked up carrilon and found a video of someone playing Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter. Very neat instrument and almost seems meant for that song!
Last edited March 8, 2022 3:15 am
Mar 8, 2022 4:16 am
Bells knew that stealth was just not her thing. Hell! Everyone from Darmo to Oarus knew including everyone of those who traveled with her the length of the forest to reach the mine but not one of them said a word? Maybe if you didn't get yourself into a snit then you might have said something helpful before now. If you want to turn those condemning eyes on someone, let me fetch my mirror. If you think me removing them now isn't going to create a racket then, the bard shrugged her shoulders. I think you delude yourself.
Holding up a finger, Sometimes, the lack of noise can be cover and sometimes the avalanche of sound can hide multiple steps.

The mine

Adam

Mar 8, 2022 6:20 am
OOC:
I know it must be frustrating for the characters to have Bells jingling her way behind the ninja-like PCs, but it's just too funny for the audience.
Like a shadow, if shadows dealt silent death, Zin flits through the tunnels to the sound of echoing tinkled percussion.

To his northeast, the cavern sparkles like pink glitter in Bells reflected torchlight. Every one of those pink pinpricks could hide a fabulous tourmaline in the rock, or it could be a tiny worthless splinter. The miners here are gamblers; they choose a point, pick up their picks, they file with their files, each glittering point another spin of the gaming wheel.

The sound of water comes from a tunnel to Zin's east.

If there was the faintest sound to be heard, Anders would normally detect it in this still air - if it weren't for those carillon bells. Nice tune though.

The mine

Rolls

Anders the Frostburnt: Perception - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Mar 8, 2022 4:48 pm
Zinvaris makes quick movements from side to side of the passage snaking his way to the downward slope into the abandoned work shop. He looks around the corner to make eye contact with Anders. Zin attempts to convey his desire to move to the northeast, pointing and gesturing like a flowing stream indicating the running water. He then follows the eastern wall of the tunnel to peek into another tunnel that heads to the south east.
OOC:
Zin moves to H12 to peek into the tunnel starting at I12.

I imagine as Anders and Zin are newly acquainted there is a good deal of difficulty trying to convey thoughts with hand signs and it would be comical :) Please let me know if I should be making rolls. Not sure when the rolls from earlier wouldn't apply anymore.
Dsquid says:
I just looked up carrilon and found a video of someone playing Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter. Very neat instrument and almost seems meant for that song!
OOC:
I did the same, it's awesome!
Last edited March 8, 2022 4:49 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.