Ask Me Anything: aquafina

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Mar 20, 2022 1:09 pm
Quote:
so when I signed up for the site I just looked around the room
Sounds familiar 😆
Mar 20, 2022 1:21 pm
Quote:
-What's your occupation? If it's college/uni, what are you studying?
I am a current uni student studying computer science! I have an internship as a Software Validation Engineer (Quality Assurance) that I've been working sometimes full-time sometimes part-time for almost a year now, but I don't really enjoy the internship anymore (pretty boring, days are long, my only coworker isn't interested in talking much) and am looking for a new one for the fall semester of this year for sure.
Quote:
- Rules-light or crunch for your RPGs?
I like a mix of both. I really only enjoy the crunch when it feels rewarding. I like to be able to search through my character's abilities and find a cool combo or something, but I don't like when the complicated mechanics bog down the flow of a game. D&D5e skirts the line for that pretty well for me tbh. It's certainly not the crunchiest system, but it's got just enough that if you really pay attention, you an do some cool stuff.

I feel like I might be sinking into adam's D&D5e exclusivity mindset lol. I know the system inside and out so it's just easier. I am playing in some games on here within different systems, but I feel like PbP isn't a great way to learn new systems (because I don't have a lot of time to study game mechanics all that often, and because of the irl time spent between learning rules and applying them), so it ends up being more work to remember the system than it would be playing it live, and it kinda loses something for me.
Quote:
Which is the B-movie that you just have a thing for and keep rewatching?
Hmm, I'm not really sure what constitutes a B-movie (am i too young?) but me and my dad's side of the family LOVE the first and second Sharknado movies (haven't seen the rest). We just can't help but suspend our disbelief and go along with all the ridiculousness and stupidity of those movies.
Last edited March 20, 2022 1:28 pm
Mar 20, 2022 1:42 pm
Quote:
1) What's a RPG based on a video game that you thought poorly of?
In terms of RPGs based on video games, I really only have experience with the Fallout and Dishonored 2d20 systems. I think the 2d20 system has some quirks to it that take some getting used to or working around, but they're good enough and fit the settings and mechanics of Fallout and Dishonored pretty well.
Quote:
2) What's a RPG based on a video game that doesn't exist that you wish would happen?
It could probably be achieved with an existing system, but a full-fledged system with adventure modules and stuff within the Bioshock universe would be rad as heck. I would love to fight my way through Rapture
Mar 20, 2022 1:55 pm
SeaJay says:
Are you actually the nerdy alter ego of Awkwafina and how was being a recent Marvel movie sidekick? :)
Haha, wouldn't you like to know ;)
Mar 20, 2022 2:02 pm
Thank you @Len, @Jabes.plays.RPG, and @C1INDER! :) I don't like to show my maps off too much, because I always feel like I am overestimating their coolness lol, and my parents and siblings thought it was weird when I first started drawing them in high school haha
Mar 20, 2022 2:03 pm
aquafina says:
I am a current uni student studying computer science! I have an internship as a Software Validation Engineer (Quality Assurance)
https://i.imgur.com/ZZNjF2L.png
Mar 20, 2022 2:20 pm
Quote:
My question: do you prefer published adventures or homebrew campaigns in you D&D / Pathfinder games? Why?
Hm, as a PLAYER, I don't mind either way, and sometimes don't really notice except in terms of maps and whatnot. As long as the DM is having fun and enjoying the story they're telling, then I usually am. But I do love to play in official modules just so that I can relate to other people and gossip about the story and the differences in how our campaigns played out.

But as the DM, I have found that I vastly enjoy pre-written adventures more than homebrew ones. I haven't quite figured out how to write and plan good homebrew adventures yet, because too often it devolves into me telling a story and the players just reacting to it (probably overstating, but that's at least how it feels for me). It's often hard to squeeze a character's backstory into a pre-written module, but I have found that a game runs much more smoothly the less I have to improvise the main story lol
Mar 20, 2022 2:21 pm
@adam, I am getting there! I have been learning the basics of CSS, HTML, JavaScript, and now PHP this semester in order to hopefully be able to contribute sometime soon! But right now, the GP code still looks like garbled bits of Middle English to me.
Last edited March 20, 2022 2:22 pm
Mar 20, 2022 8:27 pm
Quote:
1. Favorite author?
I have always loved Stephen King and his work, but as I've recently really gotten into reading comics books, Brian K Vaughn is very quickly catching up to dethrone the King.
Quote:
2. Best single player video game? Best multi-player?
Fallout 4 is my favorite video game of all time. The world, the story, the atmosphere, the settlement building, and the mod support on consoles. I love pretty much everything about it. Near perfection in my eyes.

None of my friends play video games all that much, so I've never really gotten into multi-player games. But I have spent truly countless nights staying up way too late with my brother playing Minecraft and Super Smash Bros Ultimate for the Nintendo Siwtch.
Quote:
3. If you could be any rpg class in real life, which would you pick?
Cleric, without question. At least in D&D5e, they can be a healer, but they can also be a viable bruiser or ranged fighter depending on the subclass. Wizards are always championed as the kings of versatility, but clerics provide a good challenge. It would be great to be able to heal people as easily as you can in RPGs, while also being the Muscle, and also the Herald of Nature, and also...

(I really like clerics, okay?)
Mar 21, 2022 4:03 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Favourite non-superhero comic book? I love comics as well and am always on the lookout for good recs. Feel free to name a few if you're having trouble selecting just one.
I have only really gotten into reading comic books in the last couple months, so I don't have a huge amount of reading under my belt yet, but I can list you the ones I have absolutely loved so far:

-Saga (don't really need to explain this one too much, it's a must-read as long as you're okay with very real and graphic depictions of pretty much every hot-button topic in existence)

-Starstruck (the comic book origins of the ongoing Dimension20 season. The comics are fun, crazy, full of interesting concepts and writing styles, terribly disorientating, but so so so rewarding, and well worth the number of times I furrowed my brow, looked at the previous page, then returned to the current page, still slightly confused lmao)

-Daytripper (a very deep graphic novel that I finished last month, but still think about every other day, and will probably continue to ponder and reread for a while)

-Critical Role: Mighty Nein Origins (most of Critical Role's comics are just okay and nothing too special, but these ones have been consistently amazing. I would recommend not reading these without already having watched Campaign 2 of Critical Role, as they contain literally the MOST MASSIVE SPOILERS POSSIBLE, but they are well worth the wait. The art and page layouts are some of the most beautiful I've seen so far in comic books, and do a great job of setting the characters up for C2)

What I'm currently reading:
-Low by Image Comics (currently making my way through the trade paperback of volume 1, and while the writing is sometimes way too in-your-face obvious, the art is gorgeous, the worldbuilding is interesting, and the story is gripping)

Please, send me your non-superhero comic book/graphic novels recommendations if anyone has any! Next on my list are (in no particular order) Paper Girls, Through the Woods, Something Is Killing The Children, and the official D&D comic books.
Last edited March 21, 2022 5:59 pm
Mar 23, 2022 5:00 pm
What the most disappointing place you've traveled to? Can be as small as a landmark or as large as a city
Favorite green lantern?
Favorite jellybean flavor?
'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct: What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
Mar 23, 2022 6:45 pm
Oh boy, those are some good questions!
Mar 25, 2022 3:42 pm
Ezz. says:
What is some of your favorite foods
My parents may have raised me and my siblings to be adventurous and anti-picky-eaters, but good ol pizza will forever be my go-to. My favorite toppings are Pepperoni, Mushroom, and Sausage. When I was living at home, me and my family would always make a point to visit all the popular pizza places in the area at least once a year, just cause. And I have, many times over the past couple years of university life, eaten pizza for many meals in a row and been completely happy with that.

But besides that, I'm also a sucker for some good sushi, have a terrible sweet tooth for chocolate and cookies, and can never turn down a good fry, whether french, sweet potato, curly, or waffle (I often order a side of fries, even if I get something that does not match it at all).
Quote:
, AND if every fast-food restaurant was being wiped from the face of the earth, what are three that you would save?
Well, the first one's easy. I worked as a Sandwich Artist at Subway for a couple years in high school, and I had such a great time working there. I knew half of the staff that worked there from middle school and was still great friends with them (small town things), so it was always cool to hang out at work. And I just love the subs there too, which helps.

Chipotle and Qdoba would be my other two saves. Chipotle for their bowls and burritos, and Qdoba for their quesadillas.
Mar 25, 2022 3:55 pm
What is a favorite family tradition that might or might not be holiday based?
Mar 25, 2022 4:05 pm
crazybirdman says:
What the most disappointing place you've traveled to? Can be as small as a landmark or as large as a city
Hm, I haven't traveled a TON, and have almost always had a great time wherever I've gone, but I think the closest I've ever been to being disappointed, was my family's trip to Chicago a few years back. The Windy City really lived up to its name, because it was so miserably rainy and windy for most of our trip that it really put a damper on some of the things we had planned.
Quote:
Favorite green lantern?
Might be a controversial take, but I guess Jonah Hill's from The Lego Movie (?). I have given up on most DC movie properties. I have seen a lot, but the only DC movies I can remember actually enjoying are the first Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, and the 2021 Suicide Squad remake. I think Ryan Reynolds is good in anything, but I just didn't like any of the movies he's in.
Quote:
Favorite jellybean flavor?
Most of my experience eating jelly beans comes from those Bean Boozles jelly bean packs. So anything that isn't Old Bandage, Rotten Egg, or Barf is good in my book lol.
Quote:
'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct: What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
Hm, I think most media represents redneck backwater small Ohio towns pretty well to be honest. People are friendly but intimidating, can either be the nicest people you've ever met or the most racist and homophobic people ever (and you often can't tell til they open their mouth, or you see the signs (or lack thereof) posted in their front lawn), everyone's up in everyone else's business (for the good and the bad), high school sports are taken very seriously by a majority of the population, gossip spreads like wildfire in a wheat field, the weather makes no sense, Walmart and Meijer were indeed favorite hangout spots for us during middle and high school, and everyone who lives here loves to hate Ohio but get EXTREMELY DEFENSIVE when people call us Michigan, Indiana, or Iowa, which happens way more than you'd think for some reason.

The only thing is, and it's very minor, but NO ONES GOES AROUND TIPPING COWS FOR FUN. NO ONE.
Last edited March 25, 2022 4:07 pm
Mar 25, 2022 6:49 pm
Quote:
The only thing is, and it's very minor, but NO ONES GOES AROUND TIPPING COWS FOR FUN. NO ONE.
Seems like it would be pointless anyway. What would they spend their tips on?
Mar 25, 2022 7:06 pm
Cow tipping? What utter nonsense!
Mar 26, 2022 2:58 am
aquafina says:

Hm, I haven't traveled a TON, and have almost always had a great time wherever I've gone, but I think the closest I've ever been to being disappointed, was my family's trip to Chicago a few years back. The Windy City really lived up to its name, because it was so miserably rainy and windy for most of our trip that it really put a damper on some of the things we had planned.
Fun fact: The Windy City doesn't refer to actual wind, but an insult to Chigaoans who were viewed as "full of hot air" and "windbags" lol. I learned this like a year ago and it is so amusing I have to share it whenever the topic comes up.
Mar 26, 2022 3:38 am
CherokeeWind says:
Cow tipping? What utter nonsense!
Since Bowl hasn't done it yet...

Did you mean "Udder" nonsense? 🤣
Mar 26, 2022 4:40 am
aquafina says:
NO ONES GOES AROUND TIPPING COWS FOR FUN. NO ONE.
Not for fun? So is it for money or religious reasons?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.