Ask Me Anything: aquafina

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

aquafina

bowlofspinach

Mar 19, 2022 5:34 pm
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: aquafina
Pronouns: He/him
RPG Interests: D&D5e mostly, but also the Fallout and Dishonored 2d20 systems by Modiphius, and a bit of 13th Age and Path/Starfinder thrown in there every once in a while. Also watch/listen to a lot of actual play productions, such as Critical Role, Dimension20, NADDPOD, Dungeons & Daddies, 3BlackHalflings.
Non-RPG Interests: Comics and Graphic Novels (mostly of non-superhero genres), Books (of all genres, really), Single-Player RPG Video Games like Skyrim, Fallout, Bioshock, and Dishonored, Drawing Maps, and lots and lots of Music.

This AMA will run until 26 March 2022.
aquafina
Mar 19, 2022 5:38 pm
1. How did you discover GP & PbP?
2. New book smell or old book smell?
3. Got a site for your maps?
4. How, if at all, does music figure in your RPGing?
Mar 19, 2022 5:43 pm
You've been here a while now. Do you remember your first experiences on GP, and what you thought and felt about it?

What's been your worst moment on GP (that you're comfortable talking about)?

If you could have any feature on GP, what would it be?
Mar 19, 2022 5:56 pm
Standard question: Why the name?

Less standard question: What's a character archetype that you think is missing from the class selection of D&D and D&D-like games?
Mar 19, 2022 6:05 pm
Standard array question:
-What's your occupation? If it's college/uni, what are you studying?

Point buy question:
- Rules-light or crunch for your RPGs?

Player to your left rolls for your stats question:
Which is the B-movie that you just have a thing for and keep rewatching?
Mar 19, 2022 6:37 pm
You like a few video games that have spawned RPGs.

1) What's a RPG based on a video game that you thought poorly of?
2) What's a RPG based on a video game that doesn't exist that you wish would happen?
Mar 19, 2022 6:50 pm
Quote:
1. How did you discover GP & PbP?
I had only just been introduced to TTRPGs by one of my friends here in college a couple months before joining. We had a great first session, and after it, I really wanted to learn more about D&D and whatnot. But my friend didn't have a lot of free time at the time (and even less nowadays), so we only got to play once a month-ish (now once every 2 or 3 months-ish). I didn't really know anyone else irl who played TTRPGs, so I began looking online. I found out about PbP pretty quickly actually, then signed up for a few different sites, but GP just seemed way more welcoming and I got a game within no time (thanks to @adam, who recommended I join QuantomRiot's Underling Revival (D&D5e), which is still ongoing).
Quote:
2. New book smell or old book smell?
Yes.

But I don't have a lot of experience with old books, my parents weren't big readers, so I've bought a lot of my own books, and have almost always picked them up new from bookstores or Amazon because the few used books I've gotten have had damage.
Quote:
3. Got a site for your maps?
I like to hand-draw my maps! I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to learning new techniques or styles, so they're nothing special, but I do it for the few D&D games I've DMed and the group always gets a kick out of them. It's also just a great way for me to relax, or do while having a podcast or music on in the background and unwind before bed.

Here are some of my favorites I've made:
[ +- ] Maps
Does anyone else here do anything similar?
Quote:
4. How, if at all, does music figure in your RPGing?
I ALWAYS am the one to have background music playing through my laptop when I play in-person around a table (whether DM or player), and I am frequently jumping back and forth between 4-hour long videos and playlists on youtube depending on the atmosphere and energy of the moment. I haven't really used it in my PbP RPG playing experience so far (because I usually end up paying more attention to the music than trying to think of something to write!).
Last edited March 19, 2022 6:54 pm
Mar 19, 2022 8:30 pm
Are you actually the nerdy alter ego of Awkwafina and how was being a recent Marvel movie sidekick? :)
Last edited March 19, 2022 8:32 pm
Mar 19, 2022 8:44 pm
Those are hand-drawn?! Incredible! Impressive work!
Mar 19, 2022 9:16 pm
Those are truly wonderful maps - you have real talent!

My question: do you prefer published adventures or homebrew campaigns in you D&D / Pathfinder games? Why?
Last edited March 19, 2022 9:17 pm

Len

Mar 19, 2022 9:44 pm
aquafina says:
Mad respect for those maps, aquafina! I also love drawing maps by hand :)
Mar 19, 2022 10:09 pm
aquafina says:

I have an ongoing worldbuilding project that I draw a map for by hand, but not for any other games. I do enjoy visually designing other stuff though like imaginary apparatuses for sci-fi games and in my live play group I got to design not one but two flags.
Mar 19, 2022 11:48 pm
1. Favorite author?
2. Best single player video game? Best multi-player?
3. If you could be any rpg class in real life, which would you pick?
Mar 20, 2022 1:47 am
Favourite non-superhero comic book? I love comics as well and am always on the lookout for good recs. Feel free to name a few if you're having trouble selecting just one.
Mar 20, 2022 4:53 am
I'm going to go with my go-to with a twist:

What is some of your favorite foods, AND if every fast-food restaurant was being wiped from the face of the earth, what are three that you would save?
Mar 20, 2022 8:40 am
Favorite Dimension20 season/moment?
Mar 20, 2022 9:04 am
aquafina says:

Not by hand. Did my first local area map with one program
https://i.imgur.com/njJGLae.jpg
Tried again later for a full continent.
https://i.imgur.com/XBfdrg9.jpg
Mar 20, 2022 9:13 am
With no regard to system and other people's interests, what are the top 3 kinds of stories you love to play?
Mar 20, 2022 12:47 pm
Quote:
You've been here a while now. Do you remember your first experiences on GP, and what you thought and felt about it?
I do remember my first experience here on GP, it was with you! Lol. It took me a little bit to get used to how PbP works and feels, but it was very exciting when I first joined, and I still feel the same level of excitement quite frequently on here, especially when a game is just beginning or nearing the end or just a cool moment.
Quote:
What's been your worst moment on GP (that you're comfortable talking about)?
There have been a few individual low moments, but I think the worst time I've had on GP was around August of last year, when the summer semester ended and the fall one began. I wholly underestimated how involved my classes would be last semester and couldn't keep up with most of my games, so I had a bit of a mass purging of my games. I think I had 2 games I was running at the time that I had to end, and then maybe another 2 or 3 that I had to leave. I think the only game I had left at that point was Underling's Revival. I was honestly surprised at how sad I was that I had to leave so many games at once :(
Quote:
If you could have any feature on GP, what would it be?
Why, looking to start another advent calendar? ;P

But honestly you guys have been working so hard and quickly that I haven't really had time to think of something I've wanted before it's already implemented and live! Perhaps some kind of way to PM multiple people at once or start some kind of 'thread' in the PMs, but the times I've wanted to do that, I have moved the convo to discord, so I'm not sure if it's really all that necessary.
Mar 20, 2022 1:05 pm
Quote:
Standard question: Why the name?
Standard answer: I am bad at coming up with usernames and that sort of thing, so when I signed up for the site I just looked around the room, and I had just finished a bottle of aquafina water. So I thought, why not? Has a decent ring to it. I've considered changing it to aguafino or something similar to distance myself from the water company and have that spanish flair, but eh.
Quote:
Less standard question: What's a character archetype that you think is missing from the class selection of D&D and D&D-like games?
Somewhat less standard answer: I honestly think that pretty much anything can be made with the current classes and subclasses, you just have to do some reflavoring (my favorite thing to do lol). A witch can be a reflavored cleric/wizard multiclass, a druid, some kind of warlock, or even an artificer if you want to have that witchy trinkets and baubles feel. A psion can be a reflavored sorcerer or druid probably. Etc. Just gotta commit to the flavor.
Last edited March 20, 2022 1:22 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.