[Recruiting] CBR+PNK Oneshot test (FitD)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCBR+PNK (FitD)Public1 / dayvagueGM

CBR+PNK is a dual-pamphlet RPG for one-shot sessions in the cyberpunk genre. Player characters are a team of RUNNERS — mercs, criminals, activists living on the edge and running in the shadows of a gritty, ultraviolent world. In each game we play an entire new cast of characters during their LAST RUN.

Mar 21, 2022 12:05 pm
tl;dr Cyberpunk oneshot to test the CBR+PNK system. Trying to decide about backing the kickstarter.

I have had this game on the shelf for a while, finally read it after the kickstarter launched. It does look like it has some promise. I am wondering if anyone is interested in playing a oneshot to test out the system.

I would like to get it going (though no need to finish the /run) before the kickstarter ends in two weeks, as a test to see if I want to back the new version'.

• Since this is meant to test the system, I would prefer reliable, go-getter players who can post one or more times a day.
• The game (as with all 'rules-lite', or 'one-page' games) assumes we know how to play Forged in the Dark (like Blades in the Dark, for instance). I can teach the system, but some prior experience (even just reading the books) would be a boon.
• If this works out, we can do more oneshots with more focus on teaching instead of testing.
• We can experiment with the new dice pools feature once it goes live.
Last edited March 25, 2022 4:59 pm
Mar 21, 2022 12:22 pm
I'd love to, but I can't guarantee a constant post rate...

I'm looking forward to GM this myself with my RL group, but I pledged the KS on day one. The design alone was worth it, imho.

Good luck with this, and, if you make it public, I'll lurk.
Mar 21, 2022 12:25 pm
Consider me very interested!
Mar 21, 2022 12:40 pm
the_cava says:
... can't guarantee a constant post rate ...
What do you think you can manage? I generally ask for "most days", but FitD can require a lot of back and forth (even before the dice come out) so faster is better. :)
the_cava says:
... GM this myself with my RL group ...
Forged in the Dark is so much better in RL than on PbP.
the_cava says:
... if you make it public, I'll lurk. ...
Unless the players request otherwise it will probably be public.
Mar 21, 2022 12:40 pm
nezzeraj says:
Consider me very interested!
Consider yourself considered. :)
Mar 21, 2022 1:08 pm
It's a moment where work and other commitments can suddenly mess my schedule up, so I can disappear for a few days without notice, and it's already barely manageable posting once a day atm for me.

That being said, on paper I got the impression that FitD games would lend themselves well to pbp, but I trust the opinion of someone's experience over my impression.

I suggest you consider me a reserve, if necessary, but give precedence to other players for now.
Last edited March 21, 2022 1:15 pm
Mar 21, 2022 1:12 pm
vagueGM says:

• Since this is meant to test the system, I would prefer reliable, go-getter players who can post one or more times a day.
• The game (as with all 'rules-lite', or 'one-page' games) assumes we know how to play Forged in the Dark (like Blades in the Dark, for instance). I can teach the system, but some prior experience (even just reading the books) would be a boon.
• If this works out, we can do more oneshots with more focus on teaching instead of testing.
• We can experiment with the new dice pools feature once it goes live.
This looks cool but I don't match expectations 1 and 2 :(
5 times a week would be probably ok for me and never have I ever Forged in the Dark
Mar 21, 2022 4:41 pm
the_cava says:
... impression that FitD games would lend themselves well to pbp ...
They can... with the right group. Knowing the rules (even if this is only eventually, so willingness is more important than prior-knowledge:) can speed things up a whole lot. There quite a lot of rules and intricate rules-interactions (and they all work together like clockwork, so skipping parts makes things break), so getting past the phase where long discussions are needed for every action makes a big difference.
CBR+PNK is simpler than regular Blades, but there is still a lot of back and forth between the players and the GM.

The players say what they are doing, and propose what Action (what other games might call Stats or Attributes) they are using (in CBR+PNK this is Approach, Skill, Expertise, and Gear, combined into a pool), then we all discuss how that would work, and the player might change their mind and try another approach, and we start again; then (and between) the GM sets the Position and Effect (called Threat and Effect in this game), we discuss that to make sure everyone is on the same page (the GM has proportionally less power in FitD games), possibly starting the whole process over again; then --in CBR+PNK-- the player gets to adjust Threat and Effect in lockstep; only then do they pick up dice and include any Glitches; then we talk about Pushing for extra dice, or getting an Assist from another player... and then the player finally rolls.

That is every time an action requiring dice is done. Skipping any of this breaks the way things work.

After the dice: The GM collaborates with the players to determine the outcome and Consequences; then the affected players have to decide if they are willing to accept the Consequence or if they want to start the process of Resisting each of them them in turn.

So there is a lot of discussion before and after the dice are rolled. This is slow at the table, but can be a problem in PbP if everyone is not responsive, (or if we have to explain every option each time).
As I say: with the right group, FitD can work in PbP. But it is much smoother when people can talk realtime.

Part of the reason I had not read this game earlier is that I was 'saving it' for when I get to a live game again. There are other cyberpunk systems that I can run PbP. Being a oneshot makes me more willing to try make this work, though.
Mar 21, 2022 4:43 pm
CESN says:
... never have I ever Forged in the Dark ...
That is not a deal breaker. We can teach as we go along. If players don't have access to a full set of rules (from another game, since they are not included in CBR+PNK) the SRD looks like a good enough substitute.

Point 1's 'reliable, go-getters' was more important, and should not have been conflated with posting rate point. I may edit that.
Mar 21, 2022 10:27 pm
I would love to play CBR+PNK, and I've been trying for a while to convenience some friends to give it a try. I can post daily, but I don't have experience with FitD, although I've read BitD for fun without actually playing it. If you don't mind having a beginner in the party, I can read through the SRD fairly quickly and join you.
Mar 21, 2022 10:31 pm
I got a couple of emails for this since it's apparently by the same publisher as Wildsea. If WS is any indication, this must be great as well 😄

I'll skip because I don't know FitD and I'm already in too many games for my own good. But I'm sure it'll be great
Mar 22, 2022 6:32 am
nikos says:
... can read through the SRD fairly quickly and join you.
We don't need to read the book/SRD before we start. Being willing to read it is what's important. :)
Mar 22, 2022 1:10 pm
Following because I backed the new Kickstarter!
Mar 23, 2022 4:32 pm
BedzoneII says:
Following because I backed the new Kickstarter!
Just 'following', not joining?
Mar 23, 2022 4:37 pm
I think I will get this started with nezzeraj and nikos, and hopefully one more.

bowlofspinach, you are welcome to join and learn as we go, we will all be leaning a new system.
the_cava, and CESN: Do you two maybe want to join as well, we can run two teams simultaneously and at different speeds. That way you don't slow down the fast group.

We can discover later that the two (or more?) teams are on the same job. Ideally they can end up working together rather than competing, but that will be up the players if it happens.
Mar 23, 2022 4:45 pm
Since the system's meant for oneshots, I imagine this test run isn't going to last that long, so I'll do my best to keep up with the intended posting rate for now.

Count me in!
Mar 23, 2022 6:46 pm
Thanks for the invitation but I'll pass. I might have joined at a different time but right now, I'm already joining too many things for my own good 😅
Mar 23, 2022 7:25 pm
bowlofspinach says:
... different time but right now, I'm already joining too many things for my own good
Understood. If it works I may just keep it open for more oneshots later.
Mar 23, 2022 10:35 pm
I might be interested for later one-shots!

I wish I could join now, but I'm just a bit too busy, especially a game that requires a little extra OOC transactions to keep it running smoothly. But I'd really like to try FitD and I've been craving a cyberpunk setting recently, so this scratches both itches. Maybe I'll check back in a month or so.
Mar 23, 2022 10:38 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
... like to try FitD ... craving a cyberpunk ... Maybe I'll check back in a month or so.
Cool. If this (FitD) does not work out we can always look at other cyberpunk systems.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.