[Recruiting] CBR+PNK Oneshot test (FitD)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Mar 24, 2022 3:12 am
I'm down for almost any cyberpunk system but I hope this one works out.
Mar 25, 2022 7:08 pm
I basically insta-back cyberpunk games. Already playing in a different PbP cyberpunk at the moment, so I don't think I can commit.
Mar 25, 2022 7:33 pm
rossum says:
... Already playing in a different PbP cyberpunk at the moment, so I don't think I can commit.
Maybe next time.
Mar 25, 2022 7:40 pm
Game is live. Head on over.

I have added those definitely interested, and would like one more to round us out to three (a good minimum number). If the rest of you who could not quite commit want to join up and /run an extra-expendable-crew, I can do more than one simultaneous group.

The game is public if y'all want to just lurk. No promises, though.

This is a test, this is a test...
Mar 25, 2022 9:40 pm
vagueGM says:

the_cava, and CESN: Do you two maybe want to join as well, we can run two teams simultaneously and at different speeds. That way you don't slow down the .
Completely forgot to reply! That sounds good. I don’t have a lot of time to read long rules at the moment but this is short right? I’ll do my best :)
Mar 25, 2022 9:55 pm
CESN says:
... I don’t have a lot of time to read long rules at the moment but this is short right? I’ll do my best
The player PDF is 1308 words long! Does that count as 'short'? :)

As with most such short games, it kinda does assume prio-knowledge of all the stuff it leaves out. Blades in the Dark is not a short book, but a large portion of that is setting related, and it contains a lot of GM advice --advice that is worth the read for GMs of any system, even if they don't plan to run BitD. Presumably the free SRD is a lot shorter since it does not include the setting stuff.

I will look through the SRD as we play and may point people to relevant pages there, rather than copying explanatory text for them to read here. But there are changes to the rules, and things are called by different names, so that may be confusing, we shall see.

Reading the rules this is based on is not required, we can teach each element as it comes up in play. FitD gives a basic task resolution and suggests falling back to using just that if the actual rule is not remembered during play.
Mar 26, 2022 3:10 am
Hi there. I'm new to this site (but not to PbP) so hopefully this is the right place the post.

I think this system looks very cool. I am a big fan of cyberpunk. I've played the OG Cyberpunk 2020 and the new Cyberpunk Red.

I could post at least once a day. I'm only in one other PbP currently, on a different site, and really want to get back into it.

Please keep me in mind if you need another player!
Last edited March 26, 2022 3:21 am
Mar 26, 2022 8:37 am
Bananabread says:
Please keep me in mind if you need another player!
Welcome abaord.

Invite sent. You can accept it here, and look at what we currently have (maybe do those in reverse order, but you can always leave after accepting if you don't like it:).

Have you played or read any Forged in the Dark games before? No worries if you haven't, we can teach as we play. You can also answer this in the welcome thread in game, so we have it all in one place.
Mar 28, 2022 7:37 pm
vagueGM says:
The game is public if y'all want to just lurk.
Thanks! I'm lurking XD

If you make one of the threads public, I might pop in to comment/discuss points of interest occasionally. Although, no promises, not sure I'll have time to keep up with the game, but definitely interested.

I think the Lady Blackbird game that CESN mentioned was the one I ran :) We had flashbacks because Refreshment Scenes can take the form of a flashback, but it definitely distracted from the main story thread at a point when people were struggling with post frequency, which probably caused it to die. But it was a fun game before it died.

I had no idea LB is supposed to be the same universe as Blades ... Is Doskvol supposed to be on a world lost in the mists of the Lower Depths of the Wild Blue or something?
Mar 28, 2022 7:59 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
... If you make one of the threads public, I might pop in to comment/discuss points of interest occasionally. ...
I might think about that, after talking to the players.
I don't really see how that is all that much different to people commenting here, in this thread, though.
Chalrytharendir says:
... Lady Blackbird ... Refreshment Scenes can take the form of a flashback ...
Yes, they definitely can.

I preferred to not have them during the action though, since they are a rest/reset/heal mechanism with no built-in limit on number of uses. I usually only allowed (not that I recalled needing to deny them) them during quiet moments, where such interpersonal connection building was apropos, but did allow players to narrate such connections having happened in the past.
Chalrytharendir says:
... no idea LB is supposed to be the same universe as Blades ...
Both are 'victorianish steampunk', with a few other connections (phlogiston/aether comes to mind). The biggest hints are in the names, Lord Scurlock, for instance, is in both... and even has their own game in the Wild Blue Yonder.
Chalrytharendir says:
... Is Doskvol supposed to be on a world lost in the mists of the Lower Depths ...
I think the connection is a lot more tenuous than that. LB does not define when it is happening (or much at all (which adds to the replayability)), so it could be before or after the events of the Cataclysm. I believe John mentioned it was after, but I can not say for sure.
Mar 28, 2022 8:07 pm
Quote:
I don't really see how that is all that much different to people commenting here, in this thread, though.
Well, one difference is that here, everyone gets alerts for it on their forums page. In an in-game thread, only those interested in the game or those watching the public feed will get them
Mar 28, 2022 8:10 pm
bowlofspinach says:
... everyone gets alerts for it on their forums page ...
True.

I am not sure how common it will be, but I suppose avoiding that public notice may make it some feel easier about commenting. I will see if the group wants to add public commentary (and what to call it:).
Mar 28, 2022 8:29 pm
Either way works for me. I'm not sure I'll have a lot of comments, so might not be worth a public OOC thread in game, but thought I'd mention it as a possibility since you made the game viewable to the public.
vagueGM says:
... Lord Scurlock ...
Interesting, I've only played the original, which doesn't mention Scurlock, but I see that name is showing up in later chapters now that I search.
Quote:
I think the connection is a lot more tenuous than that. LB does not define when it is happening (or much at all (which adds to the replayability)), so it could be before or after the events of the Cataclysm. I believe John mentioned it was after, but I can not say for sure.
Cool, thanks for the info, it's interesting to know.
Mar 29, 2022 3:09 pm
The game now has a Public BBS for all you not-so-subtle-lurkers out there who want to get involved.
Mar 31, 2022 5:36 pm
Hello! If you're one open spot is still truly open I'll join up! I've never played BitD but I read the CBR+PNK one page and it's looks straight forward--I'm also aware of FitD as a system and what it brings to the table, for the most part.

Let me know if you'd like me to apply! Thanks!
Mar 31, 2022 8:10 pm
Dunko says:
... If you're one open spot is still truly open ...
Yes, I was holding it open till the game actually started.

I am also thinking about keeping it 'open' for as long as I am still thinking about running another oneshot. That way we might put together a group in the meantime.
Dunko says:
... aware of FitD as a system and what it brings to the table, for the most part ...
A lot of qualifier in there. :)
I am 'aware' of dark matter and what it brings to the table, but could not play with it (that I know of). :)

Have you read Blades in the Dark or any FitD games, or the free SRD? We have other newbies, so we are going to be teaching the game, so this is more about calibrating expectations than being a requirement.

Go ahead and join.
Mar 31, 2022 9:25 pm
OK, yeah I just read the SRD, and I own and have read the CBR+PNK rules.

Cool, I'll hop on in!
Mar 31, 2022 9:30 pm
See you in the Welcome thread. :)

Let us know if you need any help getting caught up with all that has gone before.
Sep 20, 2022 6:23 am
Thanks for making this game public! I am mulling over the idea of using CBR+PNK to play an old published module of Cyberpunk 2020, this will help to check how suitable is this combination for pbp.
Sep 20, 2022 8:21 am
We struggled with the Forged in the Dark system on PbP and the game faded, but I did really like what they did with it and how it worked in principle. If I were running Cyberpunk live, this would be near the top of my list of systems.

For PbP my first instinct would be to reach for Yesterday's Tomorrow as I think PbtA is a much better fit than FitD.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.