Auto-Retire Games

load previous
Mar 25, 2022 7:47 am
Adam says:
Yes. I think the player solution to inactive GMs is to visit the game and choose "Leave Game".
That is a very blunt instrument.

There are some games where the players had a good time and want to keep access to what they all wrote, leaving means they lose easy access if public, and completely lose access if private.

I doubt anyone actually disagrees that some way to hide or organise games on the lists is needed. Piggybacking on the existing retire and unretire mechanisms seems simplest, allowing all the players to execute both actions after a period of GM inactivity (even the two weeks Zzzz time) is neat and elegant and manual so nothing happens without someone taking deliberate action.
Mar 28, 2022 6:33 pm
bowlofspinach says:
there are very few games I've been in that die due to unexpected GM absence and that I want to keep around to look into again later. I usually just leave games if they get ghosted.
In my case, they aren't necessarily games where the GM ghosted. Some are games that completed with satisfaction, or had satisfying parts but eventually petered out and ended. The GM became inactive some time after the end of the game.
Adam says:
Yes. I think the player solution to inactive GMs is to visit the game and choose "Leave Game".
If I use "Leave Game" I lose access. The whole point is that I want to keep access.

I have used the "Leave Game" option to clean-up in the past, but I often regret it because I've found it's sometimes useful to revisit old games to remember rules/rulings, or how I used the dice for something, or how I used the BBCode to format something, or just for nostalgia and inspiration. So now I avoid "Leave Game" if possible in case I want to revisit.

Anyways, I'll move this thread to NOPE, since the "auto-retire" part of the solution isn't possible at this time.
Maybe focusing on "retire" as the solution is the wrong angle. Perhaps a better way to describe the feature that I want is: Similar to "Leave Game" except you keep access to the game with only a single link tucked away somewhere (like a spoiler in the My Games Page) and it is reversible in case you do it by accident.

I'll think about it some more and might consider opening a thread exploring that idea another time.
Mar 28, 2022 7:03 pm
We keep having discussions about game management because many of it see that it needs improving. We never seen to reach a consensus on how it should change though.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.