Character Creation

load previous
Mar 28, 2022 8:55 am
CESN says:
... first draft id done. Going for a "background" silent type of character...
Sounds good.

You appear to have stolen a couple extra Approach points. :)
You should have 2, 1, 1, 0, but you have 3, 2, 1, 0.

Why is your Cyberware Glitchy? The first one is free, and free from defect, though you are welcome to add a Glitch if you want, or just include something in the fiction.

What the heck is a 'Chemoregulator'? :)
Mar 29, 2022 7:44 am
ah right! probably assumed 3,2,1,0 would make sense by the time I got to actually look at the sheet :(
and completely missed the "extra feature" part of the glitch descriptor.

So let's have two cyberwares then. I just looked at a random name generator thing for Chemoregulator and thought of it as something that regulates your blood biochemistry (nowadays insulin pumps and such). Probably works like an "adrenaline rush" or helps keeping the cool in stressful situations. For the second one maybe some sort of "truth detector" like pheromone sniffer or a neural-attachment to the visual cortex that automatic looks fro "body signs" maybe?
Mar 29, 2022 11:41 am
CESN says:
... just looked at a random name generator thing for Chemoregulator ...
Random generators can be such a useful tool. :)
CESN says:
... thought of it as something that ...
It is your Cyberware, so it is up to you what it does, and names don't always make sense. That sounds reasonable, if a little underwhelming.

Make sure you can see some theoretically interesting ways for it to be fun in the story, if you can't think of any, then maybe pick something else. You don't need to list them, and they are not restrictions, it is just that if you can not see any now, it may never become interesting later.

I can see some ways that such a thing could come into play, but they would need a bit of massaging of the situation. If such massage is needed, we can do it, it is the players' responsibility to keep their character's features in mind, the GM will do their best but is not looking at their sheets as often.

• Advocate for your character and look for --and push for-- ways they can shine.
CESN says:
... "truth detector" ...
I am not against the idea, but truth detection can be tricky to keep interesting in a story (and in life, ask Paul Ekman).

Either any lies are a non-entity in the story, or they never come up since they are pointless. I will try to work such things into the events, but you may be better served by something more active for one of them? Again, though, if you can see interesting ways that this will come up, and are willing to make such situations happen, go for it.
Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm
@nikos: Do you need any help creating or adding your character sheet?

Is there anything more you need to chat about before you make your character?
Mar 29, 2022 1:39 pm
So I decided on making an old man hacker, probably literally his last run even if he does survive or something lol. He's a grouchy dude with not much to live for and wants to take a final stand to stick it to the man.

For cyberwear, I think I'm gonna go with Hanwoo Acoustic Amplifiers, which allow hearing in subsonic and supersonic ranges.
Mar 29, 2022 1:41 pm
vagueGM says:
@nikos: Do you need any help creating or adding your character sheet?

Is there anything more you need to chat about before you make your character?
Oh sorry, I was waiting to see a "submit character" button, I didn't know I have to create a character first in order for the button to appear. Could you take a look if I filled everything right? Here are my abilities from my previous message:
Quote:
0 Aggression
1 Smartness
1 Empathy
2 Caution

+ Influence
++ Mobility
++ Ranged combat
++ Rigging
+ Streetwise

Cyberware: Mechanical leg joints - Faster movement, jumping higher (2m), landing either silently or with reduced damage depending the height.
Mar 29, 2022 1:51 pm
nikos says:
... was waiting to see a "submit character" button, I didn't know I have to create a character first ...
Hehe, yeah. That happens, new site and tools and all. No worries.
nikos says:
... take a look if I filled everything right ...
From a cursory glance, it looks mostly right.

Remove the example (Glitchy) from Empathy, and turn that 1d6+1d6 into just 1d6 and.

You seem to have stolen a couple extra Skills, I count 10 and memory says you should have 8? Looks like there is some leftover Piloting code in your neural matrix, might be interesting to explore... but is probably just a glitch. :)
nikos says:
... abilities from my previous ...
Thanks for transposing them here, it saves a bit of effort having to go look for them. :)
Mar 29, 2022 2:05 pm
vagueGM says:
You seem to have stolen a couple extra Skills, I count 10 and memory says you should have 8? Looks like there is some leftover Piloting code in your neural matrix, might be interesting to explore... but is probably just a glitch. :)
You are right! I missed that one, I think I have everything ready now. Thanks!
Mar 29, 2022 2:17 pm
nikos says:
... I think I have everything ready now ...
Excelent.

Remove (or [ spoiler]) the sheets instructions and tell us a bit about who Miles is.

If you want, we can chat about the characters as people --as opposed to as sheets-- before you fill out the biographical or background stuff.

I really must run through this thread again, gather what was said and start a discussion about what sorts of things we want to see in the world and in our story. That discussion will be informed by, but may also inform the descriptions of the characters, so this might still be the right thread for it.
Mar 29, 2022 2:49 pm
vagueGM says:
That sounds reasonable, if a little underwhelming.
I guess the advantage would be in the flexibility of the chemical balance giving many possible temporary effects (no pain, resist fear, push harder, regenerate faster, no fatigue, etc)
vagueGM says:
Either any lies are a non-entity in the story, or they never come up since they are pointless
Fair, it depends a lot on the type of game we'll play. I was thinking having this one gliched so it could feed false information. But maybe I need something else :)
Could be some sort of optical camouflage? Protecting the target from the shadows sort of bodyguard? though feels a a lot like infiltration ...
Last edited March 29, 2022 2:49 pm
Mar 29, 2022 3:04 pm
CESN says:
... advantage would be in the flexibility ...
Indeed. If you like it, stick with it. We can change it later if we find it is not working out.
CESN says:
... (no pain, resist fear, push harder, regenerate faster, no fatigue, etc) ...
Remember that your Resist rolls might already do a lot of that without taking up one of your Cyberwares. There is a chance that the existence of such Cyberware would mean you don't have to make Resist rolls in some situations where others would, though.
CESN says:
... it depends a lot on the type of game we'll play ...
The type of game we'll play depends a lot on the options the players pick... are we stuck in a loop? :)
CESN says:
... was thinking having this one gliched so it could feed false information ...
That was my first thought at well. :)
It can be problematic having 'truth detection' lie to us. But, since the players know the Glitch Die came up 1-3, we can play with the knowledge that the character is getting things wrong, this can make for very interesting gameplay if it works.
CESN says:
... though feels a a lot like infiltration ...
If we have an infiltrator in the party, it does not hurt to have some overlap so others (especially a bodyguard) can accompany them when needed. Only take this is you want to play that bit, though.
Mar 29, 2022 6:24 pm
vagueGM says:
tell us a bit about who Miles is.

If you want, we can chat about the characters as people --as opposed to as sheets-- before you fill out the biographical or background stuff.
Ok, how about something like this:

Miles is in his 30's, he has dark, medium-length hair, he is usually a bit unshaven. He wears dark streetwear, he has no visible tattoos, extreme piercings or anything that could draw much attention on him. His character is discreet and cautious. He grew up in a huge megastructure building controlled by a Corp, he learned to drive and fight at an early age and many times got into trouble, but his family was there to care for him. His family mysteriously vanished, and Miles is the only remaining member. He loves tinkering with machines and rigging tools and gadgets, and he has been earning his living working in scouting and surveillance. His mechanical leg joints help him move fast and acculturate, jump and climb more easily.
Mar 29, 2022 6:36 pm
nikos says:
... Ok, how about something like this: ...
Perfect.
nikos says:
... family mysteriously vanished, and Miles is the only remaining member ...
I am not going to comment on 'orphans'. :)
For a oneshot that is fine.

Is this missing family related to your Angle?
Mar 29, 2022 7:45 pm
vagueGM says:

I am not going to comment on 'orphans'. :)
For a oneshot that is fine.

Is this missing family related to your Angle?
Oh right! Yes I think "Learn the truth" becomes the obvious choice, although if a different angle matches better with the rest of the group for a common purpose, it doesn't have to be related with the missing family.
Mar 29, 2022 8:38 pm
nikos says:
... it doesn't have to be related with the missing family.
It does not. In which case, this might not come up in a oneshot, but that is fine too, it just adds flavor.

We con't have to stick to the Angles in the book, make up anything that you like, using the book's ones as examples.
Mar 31, 2022 10:42 pm
I've submitted my character: Blank

His angle is: Bleeding edge bio-chem (he's a science type)

He's a street chemist whose been running as a means of expanding his drug network--the more creds and influence he gets, the more people he can push to, thus pushing himself to create "better" product.

But, just when he thought he was on the top of his game--that he couldn't get any higher--he sold a bad batch to the wrong person's kid. When the kid OD'd Blank went off the grid. Now he needs to work his way, or pay his way, out of this situation.

Edit I may swap out a skill and make Science | Chemistry an expertise.
Last edited March 31, 2022 11:41 pm
Mar 31, 2022 10:52 pm
Hello Dunko.

Let's just make sure everyone is OK with having essentially a drug dealer in the party.

I need everyone to actively say they are OK with this.

If it gets the go-ahead, we will need to work out why someone would want to hire you (in your down-and-out situation) for whatever job we have coming up.
Mar 31, 2022 11:25 pm
Ah! I hope I did not step on any toes, and that makes perfect sense. And if anyone isn't ok with it, I can swap it out for some sort of former corporate scientist or some other ideas!
Mar 31, 2022 11:29 pm
Actually, I'll just swap it out for something else! I'm going to edit what I posted--stand-by.
Mar 31, 2022 11:32 pm
Dunko says:
... I hope I did not step on any toes ...
No worries.

It is best to talk with the other players before going ahead and making a character. You've played Traveller, you know how awesome cooperative character creation is. :)
Dunko says:
Actually, I'll just swap it out for something else! I'm going to edit what I posted--stand-by.
Cool, thanks.

Do note the rule about editing, though. Add a new post so everyone can see the full conversation.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.