Trying again

Apr 5, 2022 5:41 pm
@FlyingSucculent

I think @bowlofspinach raises a good point about this feature being pushed and pushed until it gets through. Although I'm not sure that the consensus was ever against it - but I do think some important principles were established during the previous discussions that should apply to any solution.

* The solution shouldn't allow people to hide community posts.
bowlofspinach says:
It was a stated design goal for GP from Keleth to lead people to the public threads to strengthen the community. I get why its appealing to just shut all of that off and only look at your games and I'm sure plenty of people would like that. But it goes directly against the goal of the site
* The solution shouldn't hide game forums (although we might re-organise them or de-emphasise them).
bowlofspinach says:
But making games entirely invisible there, hiding them on your latest post feeds and just shielding yourself from any way to see the activity in them will definitely lead to games dying. At least some people will mute a game on accident and never notice until it's stalled.

Organizing your front page is one thing but if you're in a game, you should get post updates for it through the means that you use.

I really don't want to add much UI for this. It should be simple. This is why I hate the idea of user-definable folders.

I liked Chal's(?) idea of adding a follow/unfollow toggle to the game's page. That would be a nice and simple UI.

This would mean:
* You'd follow your games by default but could unfollow them.
* You could follow public games.
* We'd add public followed games to latest posts, your games, and the games forum.
* We wouldn't filter out unfollowed games that you are still a member of.
* We'd separate followed and unfollowed games in the game lists (your games and game forums).

I know this doesn't work for every use case, but I think it's an iterative step in the right direction.
Apr 5, 2022 5:46 pm
I'm a bit confused on what happens when you unfollow a game that you're a player in
Apr 5, 2022 5:49 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I'm a bit confused on what happens when you unfollow a game that you're a player in
Nothing much. It moves it into a new list on the "Your games" and "Games Forum". That's it. It's just an organizing thing. This is to respect this principle.
bowlofspinach says:
But making games entirely invisible there, hiding them on your latest post feeds and just shielding yourself from any way to see the activity in them will definitely lead to games dying. At least some people will mute a game on accident and never notice until it's stalled.

Organizing your front page is one thing but if you're in a game, you should get post updates for it through the means that you use.
Apr 5, 2022 5:58 pm
Ah okay. That works for me. Though it seems kind of unintuitive that following a game you're not playing in and unfollowing a game you are playing in do not correlate, despite being called the same.

Might make more sense to give those different names
Apr 5, 2022 6:09 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Ah okay. That works for me. Though it seems kind of unintuitive that following a game you're not playing in and unfollowing a game you are playing in do not correlate, despite being called the same.

Might make more sense to give those different names
I don't get what you mean here bowl, but that's probably because I need sleep. I'm not getting the correlating part.
Apr 5, 2022 6:19 pm
Well, following a game means one thing for games that you're a player in and a completely different thing for games in which you're not. Same for unfollowing. Which is kind of confusing naming
Apr 5, 2022 8:17 pm
We already have the Subscribe and Unsubscribe terminology. If we change what that means a little, it could double up as this 'follow' (which is basically the same thing).
Apr 5, 2022 8:18 pm
If we are just talking about moving the games farther down on the list why don't we address this by changing the order they appear in to be based on activity. Then those dead/inactive games would already be at the bottom of the list, listed below the active games.

Currently my Games dropdown on the topbar is filled with things like the GP Tutorial and other never to be used again games, the recent ones I am actually using all the time are not on that list. This is --in large part-- what I am trying to solve, and proper sorting (user's choice) would be (mostly) good enough that it won't matter if the old games have to stay.
Apr 5, 2022 10:47 pm
So the only effect if you unfollow a game you're still in will be that it's moved to a different forum list? Well, it will solve my specific problem, so I guess it works for me, at least. :D

(I think I saw sorting by activity proposed in one of the Noped threads and rejected with the same argument about it stalling games.)
Last edited April 5, 2022 10:47 pm
Apr 5, 2022 11:12 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
... sorting by activity ... rejected with the same argument about it stalling games
/urgh.

Does anyone else think this is a valid reason to not implement improvements to he user user interface?

Make the lists longer, if games fall off the end due to lack of posts, they are stalled already.
Apr 6, 2022 4:33 am
I mostly dislike sorting games by activity because then I'll never find anything. Not that the current system is much better, but at least I can memorize where the games that I access most often are in the list approximately. I still don't understand why we cant just sort by alphabet.

I also dont understand why sorting games into lists is supposed to be too difficult for users but follow/unfollow is not.
Apr 6, 2022 5:29 am
I case-insensitive alpha sort my list (ignoring emoji), and that's great for muscle memory.
Apr 6, 2022 10:39 am
All my proposals come with implicit or explicit "let the user choose how it is sorted". Then we can all get the sort order we want.

Muscle memory is a thing we develop from repetitive use, once players can sort the games the way they like, I doubt many new players would care about these old habits.
Apr 6, 2022 10:51 am
You can't develop muscle memory, though, if the order keeps shifting around by activity. That's why I'm against that specific style
Apr 6, 2022 11:06 am
vagueGM says:
All my proposals come with implicit or explicit "let the user choose how it is sorted".
Yeah... no. If GP doesn't agree on an implementation then I'm not going to "code everything", I'm going to "code nothing".
Apr 6, 2022 11:11 am
Does anyone not agree that these sorts of things should be user selectable/toggleable?
Apr 6, 2022 11:26 am
vagueGM says:
Does anyone not agree that these sorts of things should be user selectable/toggleable?
Yes, me, if I'm the poor sod who has to code it.
Apr 6, 2022 11:35 am
Fair enough. Can't argue with that.
Apr 6, 2022 2:27 pm
you have to take it slowly in small steps if you want fully customizable think about custom character sheets we didn't say Hey! Adam we need completely customisable character sheets that will let us do anything we want to, we started with one feature and then another until Adam himself though maybe this can better than the other sheets now, if I add Variables and form fileable sections.

So what's the first tiny step towards this?
Apr 6, 2022 2:39 pm
KoldikSteelskin says:
So what's the first tiny step towards this?
Dude! That's the sort of comment that I need to turn into a snippet.

I said on discord the other day that GP isn't developed by intelligent design - I was only half-joking. It's a (roughly) weekly iterative process where we nudge the system along, it's developed by evolution.

I think this works well for Keleth too. Other than the scary mobile development (where I just went crazy on a whole bunch of pages), the changes tend to be small and reviewable.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.