Ask Me Anything: Qralloq

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Apr 18, 2022 7:15 pm
Qralloq says:
My eyes are itchy but other than that, tis a good day, thanks for asking!
Allergies? And you're welcome :) People keep asking "Who's Qralloq", but not "How's Qralloq" < insert wisdom emoticon >
Apr 18, 2022 7:23 pm
People ask "How's Qralloq" all the time.

They just usually append "keeping up with all those games" to the question
Apr 18, 2022 7:31 pm
bowlofspinach says:
What's a skill you don't have that we might expect you to?
I'm not a good artist, and even my miniature painting was barely passible.
TheGenerator says:
Allergies?
No thank you, I'll pass.
Apr 18, 2022 7:40 pm
bowlofspinach says:
They just usually append "keeping up with all those games" to the question
LOL! :D
Apr 18, 2022 8:06 pm
What is the best fantasy depiction of Canada (whole country, or a city therein) you have encountered in a RPG? A post-apocalyptic wasteland, maybe? The object of vampiric turf wars, perhaps? A sprawling cyberpunk metropolis?...
Apr 18, 2022 9:01 pm
Dr_B says:
What is the best fantasy depiction of Canada (whole country, or a city therein) you have encountered in a RPG? A post-apocalyptic wasteland, maybe? The object of vampiric turf wars, perhaps? A sprawling cyberpunk metropolis?...
Canadians high five each other when we're remembered in any kind of media that originates outside our extensive borders. That being said, I can't recall many instances of Canadarcana in RPGs. I will say that I love the east/west portrayal in the World of Darkness. Vancouver (in Dark Alliance: Vancouver) shows a community where global politics are essentially banned from vampire power structures, and an uneasy peace is brokered between the ancient enemies vampire vs. werewolf. This is an interesting echo of early Canadian history, when British Columbia essentially existed in isolation from much of the world, separated by vast distances.

Meanwhile, Montreal by Night is as dark and gothic as all get out, one of the few books reserved for their Black Dog Press R-Rated publications. Deeply embedded ancient powers as old as colonization and as corrupt and incomprehensible as could be expected from such structures, with an underpinning in all things of art, culture and counterculture. The Sabbat church-like organization also reflected in the churches and cathedrals of Montreal.
Apr 18, 2022 11:27 pm
my 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct: What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
What's you favorite regional slang word or phrase?
What ingredients do you always have in your kitchen?
If you could have any job, as long as it's one that Homer Simpson also had, what would it be?
Can I hire you to make an customized Excel spreadsheet?

KCC

Apr 19, 2022 12:27 am
What’s the most important/your favorite part about character creation, and the least important/favorite part about character creation?
Apr 19, 2022 12:45 am
Qralloq says:
TheGenerator says:

TheGenerator says:
- What's a skill you have that we don't know about yet?
I'm a friggin rock star on Microsoft Excel. I've created workbooks that create copies of themselves, email that copy to each person on a client list, gather the results automatically from the returned workbooks, and generate reports based on that.

Spreadsheet master, eh? Have you tried EVE Online? You'd be a master at it.

Are there any MMOs that you play/have played?
Apr 19, 2022 1:47 am
crazybirdman says:
What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
Canadians aren't crazy polite. Also, we don't say "a-boot". Just stop that. Okay, maybe people in New Brunswick do, but they mostly stick to themselves.
crazybirdman says:
What's you favorite regional slang word or phrase?
"Lord tunderin' Jesus bye" -- not 'my' region per se, but it's a favourite.
crazybirdman says:
What ingredients do you always have in your kitchen?
Canned soups. They make great bases for sauces. In fact, cream of mushroon soup (without milk) on spaghetti? Lord tunderin' Jesus bye that's good eatin, wha?
crazybirdman says:
If you could have any job, as long as it's one that Homer Simpson also had, what would it be?
I have to admit that being a Mr. Plow would be a ton of fun. Less time for GP, though, so hisses through teeth.
crazybirdman says:
Can I hire you to make an customized Excel spreadsheet?
Yes.
KCC says:
What’s the most important/your favorite part about character creation, and the least important/favorite part about character creation?
An avatar for PBP, a voice/accent/dialect for live gaming. It's all character. What I don't like are lame personal questions. "What was your character's first goat's stuffed penguin's brand name? How many siblings did your third maternal cousin have that didn't eat cheese?" That stuff is so tedious.
witchdoctor says:
Spreadsheet master, eh? Have you tried EVE Online? You'd be a master at it.

Are there any MMOs that you play/have played?
Yes, I used to play EVE Online. In fact, I dual boxed it, ran two accounts on two separate machines side by side, one for mining, and one for protection and ferrying ore to station. I made enough money to pay for the second account, and to slowly upgrade bigger and better ships. Would have stuck with it more if I could have entirely avoided PVP, which I'm not a fan of.

I've played lots of MMOs. Thousands of hours in WoW -- even earlier this year. Played Age of Conan for two years. Neverwinter Online, TERA both got lots of time in. Didn't get much into D&D Online, LOTRO, Everquest 2 (boo). Also played Momento Mori, others I can't remember.

And yes, for EVE Online, and WoW, there were spreadsheets.
Apr 19, 2022 2:27 am
We'll test your allegiances here with this first question.

As I write this, Chicago is losing to Calgary 3-2 in the 3rd, but then there's McDavid/Draisaitl and the Oilers. Both appear headed for the postseason, so come May, who are you pulling for? Why?

However, back to TTRGPs, what game would love to run as an extended campaign in? Why?
Apr 19, 2022 2:46 am
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
We'll test your allegiances here with this first question.

As I write this, Chicago is losing to Calgary 3-2 in the 3rd, but then there's McDavid/Draisaitl and the Oilers. Both appear headed for the postseason, so come May, who are you pulling for? Why?
I was in Calgary during the 2004 cup run, where they lost to Tampa Bay in the final. The energy in the city was astounding, you can still google "Red Mile" or "Girls of the Red Mile" and who wouldn't want to see that again? Even still. McDavid, right? Either way, I'd be watching hockey again.
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
However, back to TTRGPs, what game would love to run as an extended campaign in? Why?
An extended campaign... drools. I want to say, Blue Rose because it seems to fit what I want from fantasy. Similarly, a fantasy game set in and using The Strange (maybe set in the Ardeyn recursion, maybe not) would be just amazing. I'd also love to run a Babylon 5 League of Non-Aligned Worlds campaign, running alongside the show timeline with opportunities to diverge, although I haven't seen a game system that really calls to me that it would match the tone of the setting -- Savage Worlds with the SWEX Sci Fi companion is close.

What I want from a campaign is a solid setting with rich definable character, and the freedom to be a little creative with how things go. Room for big ideas and grandiose plots, but a familiar sandbox to draw them in.
Apr 19, 2022 5:57 am
1. What was the RPG that disappointed you most?
2. What RPG were you surprised you liked?
3. If you were to create an RPG, what would it be?
Apr 19, 2022 7:09 am
What drives you nuts in PbP games?
A genie grants you free expertise in any skill, tool, or language - what do you choose?
If you could remove something from GP, what would it be?
Apr 19, 2022 7:31 am
Qralloq says:
Also, when I found out you were from Crete, an island long admired, I was taking the characters in a game to Crete, for the first time in any game I've played or ran, at that moment. Kismet!
Oh wow, I knew antiproduct was a fellow Greek, but never realized he was also a felow Cretan. Small world!
Qralloq says:
Canadians aren't crazy polite. Also, we don't say "a-boot". Just stop that. Okay, maybe people in New Brunswick do, but they mostly stick to themselves.
I'm guessing what passes as standard public behaviour in Canada or other countries, what you take as a given and might not consider as "trying hard to be extra polite", still impresses Americans given their average experience in their country. Kinda the same as public healthcare, free in Canada and Europe, not a thing we think twice about, but such a big deal for Americans. Speaking of which, is that how you manage to look this good in your 50s? :P
Apr 19, 2022 7:33 am
Please feel free to ignore the question if it seems too personal but what do you do for a living and how do you think it affects your gaming style/preferences, if any?
Apr 19, 2022 2:04 pm
nezzeraj says:
1. What was the RPG that disappointed you most?
I would say Cortex Prime. It seems like a great toolkit, but there were key elements to understanding how it works that just weren't in the book in any accessible way. By the time I figured that out I'd wasted hour after hour looking for things that should have been explained at the start, I was already soured on the whole experience.
nezzeraj says:
2. What RPG were you surprised you liked?
I'd say Lasers & Feelings. I slide toward the crunchier end of the scale, but L&F with its ridiculously simple engine really worked well, and it was fun.
nezzeraj says:
3. If you were to create an RPG, what would it be?
This is a golden age of RPGs, there are so many games already put together. I have been working on a game, a very niche experience, with @windyridge. We just wrapped up a playtest. The game starts off as a medical drama, but through hijinx, the hospital staff get stranded on a deserted island. A survival based hex crawl phase culminates when Alien Cannibal Hybrids attack! Oh no!
Adam says:
What drives you nuts in PbP games?
Too little or too much agency. Too little and your actions don't matter, so why bother? Too much and PBP derails into choice paralysis with days between noncomittal posts.
Adam says:
A genie grants you free expertise in any skill, tool, or language - what do you choose?
I would choose to be able to play guitar. It's a lifetime dream, but one I've never devoted any measure of time to.
Adam says:
If you could remove something from GP, what would it be?
You want to take away my preciouses? All of it is needed. If I had to choose, I'd reduce the number of sections of forums. There is too much overlap, which makes it hard to find something specific.
DarK_RaideR says:
Kinda the same as public healthcare, free in Canada and Europe, not a thing we think twice about, but such a big deal for Americans. Speaking of which, is that how you manage to look this good in your 50s? :P
Smoking, sunlight and making facial expressions age you the fastest. I avoid all of these like a boss.
ireneofunyes says:
Please feel free to ignore the question if it seems too personal but what do you do for a living and how do you think it affects your gaming style/preferences, if any?
I'm in actuarial sciences, so basically blending finance and statistics. I'm sure that it does affect me, but as I gamed for nearly 20 years before entering this career path, such an effect was not formative. I'd say that I'm probably more quick to be judgmental about settings that don't make obvious economic or political sense. Like if there was a Hunger Games RPG, I would scoff, sir, I would scoff mightily.
Apr 19, 2022 2:07 pm
Random question out of nowhere: What's your opinion on the Hunger Games?

KCC

Apr 19, 2022 2:38 pm
What is ‘Qralloq’? And why did you name yourself after it?
Apr 19, 2022 2:42 pm
A cruncher who likes Lasers & Feelings? Huh. What tempted you to try it out, and are there any other rules-light games you have liked?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.