Ask Me Anything: WarDomo

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Apr 27, 2022 12:54 am
crazybirdman says:
My 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct: What do movies and television get wrong about your job/career?
Don't know a ton of movies/tv shows that prominently feature statisticians, but I'd say the greatest misconception is how much of our time is spent preparing and cleaning data or documenting methodology rather than actually producing models or any kind of useful forecasts/predictions. It's kinda like firefighters that spend very little of their time as a percentage actually fighting fires, but far less heroic :)
crazybirdman says:
What are some of your favorite fan theories about movies?
I don't spend a ton of time reading speculative stuff about movies, but I did read the grand unifying theory of pixar movies once and that was pretty clever. It's the theory that the witch from Brave is actually Boo from Monsters Inc and that all the pixar movies are connected.
crazybirdman says:
What is your favorite movie based on an SNL skit?
Great question! I think a lot of people would say Wayne's World. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I absolutely love A Night at the Roxbury
crazybirdman says:
What's your favorite board game right now? And could the most famous person alive with the same first name as you, beat you at that game?
Oof, in terms of actual playing I've been playing a lot of two-player games: Sheriff in Nottingham if I had to choose one.

I've only gotten to play once, but I really enjoyed Gloomhaven too.

I think Bryan Cranston is probably the most famous one these days (clever way to get my first name btw :) ) and I think he would definitely beat me at Sheriff of Nottingham. Gloomhaven is co-op so probably not.
Apr 27, 2022 3:47 am
WarDomo says:
I'm invested in the Marvel movies, but admit that some are better than others. I mostly just marvel (that one's for you bowlofspinach) at the fact that we live in a world in which the highest grossing films of all time are about comic books. The 12 year old in me is still just amazed that a significant portion of the world knows who Rocket Raccoon is.
I was able to see Captain Marvel and Shazam as a double feature at the drive-in. 12-year-old me was ecstatic.
Now, at this point, with so many Marvel movies out, and so many people invested in them, is it considered rude to schedule an event (birthday party, wedding etc.) the same weekend a new Marvel movie is released?
Apr 27, 2022 3:52 am
Not in my opinion. I'm getting old now and opening weekend is not a deal breaker for me. If someone would rather go to a movie than your wedding, then they can go ahead.
Apr 27, 2022 4:03 am
What do you like best about your favorite TTRPG games? What's the appeal of Exalted?
Apr 27, 2022 4:51 am
witchdoctor says:
What do you like best about your favorite TTRPG games? What's the appeal of Exalted?
Why....I thought you would never ask!

Hands down, the greatest appeal of Exalted is the setting. Animism abounds with a little god for everything. Huge celestial bureaucracy. A global superpower crumbling under it's own weight, a civil war looming. The return of legendary but flawed heroes at a time when powerful enemies are amassing from within and outside of Creation.

The game itself you play a near-god-like being from Day 1 and you only get more ridiculous from there. It's a game not about what you can do, but what are the consequences for what you do.

I also love the combat system. The back and forth of Initiative until you can land a decisive blow really supports a more narrative combat. But it doesn't stop there. The systems to support social conflict, crafting, war, construction projects all have the similar levels of attention paid to them and have real meat on their bones. It's crazy to think, but a Bureaucracy based character is actually viable in this game.

That brings me to Sorcery. Magic in Exalted is bigger and more flexible. There are a few set spells like Death of Obsidian Butterflies that can literally level a battlefield (also as a starting character), but you can do Sorcerous Workings that are only limited by your imagination.

oh, and Warstriders! 30-ft mechs.... yes please

Now I'm just rambling and want to play Exalted.... look what you've done.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.