Ask Me Anything: WarDomo

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

WarDomo

bowlofspinach

Apr 26, 2022 4:11 am
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: WarDomo
Pronouns: He/him
RPG Interests: Exalted, and World/Chronicles of Darkness, Not super interested in sci-fi, but I am open to trying new games
Non-RPG Interests: Video Games, Big Movie Buff, Board Games, American Football, Statistics and Machine Learning

This AMA will run until 03 May 2022.
WarDomo
Apr 26, 2022 4:16 am
1. How did you get into tabletop games?
2. How many RPG books do you own? Which system/setting do you have the most books for?
Apr 26, 2022 5:02 am
Do you use statistics in calculating the odds in your game? If so, what's the most interesting problem you've looked at.

Do you use movie references in your games?

Do you think Florida is really as crazy as people say? Or is Miami exempt from the madness?
Apr 26, 2022 7:18 am
I quite enjoyed the Exalted intro game you ran before. Any plans of doing that again in the future?
Apr 26, 2022 10:06 am
You've been a while around here.
What was the thing that made you say "wow, now we're talking" and which - if any, almost made you say "screw this"?
Apr 26, 2022 10:42 am
What is the story behind your username

Len

Apr 26, 2022 3:18 pm
Hi WarDomo! What genres of movies do you like, and what's your favourite movie you've seen in the last five years from your favorite genre?
Apr 26, 2022 3:45 pm
What have your favorite characters been here in GP.

What kinds of music do you like?
Apr 26, 2022 4:24 pm
We're not going to see you on one of those "Florida man..." lists are we?

Kidding aside, as a movie buff, what movie would you most want to promote specifically to gamers? Specifically, one that you think might be an overlooked gem.
Apr 26, 2022 5:30 pm
nezzeraj says:
1. How did you get into tabletop games?
D&D Black Box starter set when I was 10. AD&D 2e books around the same time, but I never really played it with a group. High school is when I really got into it with a lot of Vampire and Werewolf (I think it was 2e at the time). Played a little Vampire LARP in college and 1st Edition Exalted. Then I didn't play for a LONG time until around the same time I started GP and trying to play some videochat games with high school friends. I also started playing in person with a group that started at my local library.
nezzeraj says:
2. How many RPG books do you own? Which system/setting do you have the most books for?
Let's start easy with physical books that I still have in my possession: Exalted 1e core and dragon-blooded book; new world of darkness core (1e); AD&D 2e PHB, DMG, and Arms & Equipment guide; Star Wars D20 core book; and 2 Dragon-Ball Z RPG books.

PDFs.... Let's just say I have a lot! I'm a sucker for humble bundle and bundle of holding deals. I've also recently been backing several Onyx Path kickstarters for Exalted 3e/Essence and several 2e Chronicles of Darkness games.
Apr 26, 2022 5:38 pm
Adam says:
Do you use statistics in calculating the odds in your game? If so, what's the most interesting problem you've looked at.
Very much so. In particular, the variations of the storyteller system dice mechanics. Exalted in particular has a lot of magic effects that play with your dice pool. So roll a handful of D10s, reroll 6s, 7s and above are successes. I love AnyDice for this.
Adam says:
Do you use movie references in your games?
Probably more than I'm even aware of. I have often been guilty of speaking in movie quotes.
Adam says:
Do you think Florida is really as crazy as people say? Or is Miami exempt from the madness?
Yes, and sorta. The Florida man meme is real, though I'm sure if you replaced "Florida" with any other place you could find funny replacements that work. Florida has a weird mix of climate, people, and wide variability in socio-economic status in close proximity that just allows more opportunities for crazy stuff to happen. Miami is not exempt from this, but it does have a much different flavor than a lot of the rest of Florida. Far more influenced by the Caribbean and South America, but just as nuts. It is after all where the whole "bath salts making a dude eat another guy's face" happened.
Apr 26, 2022 5:40 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I quite enjoyed the Exalted intro game you ran before. Any plans of doing that again in the future?
That was a great game! I definitely am the vocal Exalted minority here on GP. Before my most recent hiatus, I was trying to get a game going with the recently kickstarted Exalted Essence rules. Life happened and I wasn't able to come back to that. I'm back now but I've been bitten by the Forbidden Lands bug. If I start another Exalted game, I owe it to the folks from that Essence game to see if we want to start that back up again.

After that, I think the next game I would start is another 3e Exalted game.
Apr 26, 2022 5:46 pm
Antiproduct says:
You've been a while around here.
What was the thing that made you say "wow, now we're talking" and which - if any, almost made you say "screw this"?
Wow, now we're talking: There was a very short-lived Sabbat Vampire game we played and we roleplayed out the Sabbat Vaulderie for our coterie. We all really got into it and it got a little weird in the best way. I really wish that game would've kept going....sigh. I also had an excellent game of Reflections with Genisisect that really just worked. My long-running Victorian Age vampire game with Qralloq had a ton of moments like that

Screw this: Mainly just a couple of rare bad eggs on the site that were very critical and complainy. No need to point fingers, but they serve as a reminder to thank your GM and tell them that they're doing a great job and you appreciate the work they put in for your entertainment.
Apr 26, 2022 5:49 pm
runekyndig says:
What is the story behind your username
UGH! I hate my username. I've used some variation of "domo" in my usernames as it's part of my last name. There was a brief moment when I was trying WarDomo on for size and I signed up for this small PBP site that I had just heard about on a podcast. It doesn't matter I probably won't be on that site for the next 6 years!
Apr 26, 2022 5:57 pm
Len says:
Hi WarDomo! What genres of movies do you like, and what's your favourite movie you've seen in the last five years from your favorite genre?
I love so-bad-they're-good movies with a passion. My absolute favorite in recent memory would be Willy's Wonderland starring the illustrious Nick Cage. If you haven't seen it, go do yourself a favor and go now.

I'm a big horror fan. I thought Bird Box, Get Out and a Quiet Place were pretty great new entries in the space.

I'm invested in the Marvel movies, but admit that some are better than others. I mostly just marvel (that one's for you bowlofspinach) at the fact that we live in a world in which the highest grossing films of all time are about comic books. The 12 year old in me is still just amazed that a significant portion of the world knows who Rocket Raccoon is.

Comedy is great too. My most recent two favorites in that genre would be Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga and Always Be My Maybe (a rare rom-com that actually lives up to it)
Apr 26, 2022 6:00 pm
Windyridge says:
What have your favorite characters been here in GP.
Vittorio Giovanni, my Vampire The Masquerade character from the previously mentioned Qralloq game for sure! My favorite NPC was from a short-lived post-apocalyptic zombie game I ran. He was an Elvis Impersonator and he ran this community. He was called the Peanut Butter King.
Windyridge says:
What kinds of music do you like?
Pretty much 90s rock. Pearl Jam in particular.
Apr 26, 2022 6:06 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
We're not going to see you on one of those "Florida man..." lists are we?
Maybe you already have!
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Kidding aside, as a movie buff, what movie would you most want to promote specifically to gamers? Specifically, one that you think might be an overlooked gem.
I love Tucker & Dale Versus Evil! From a gamer perspective, I see it as a bunch of murder hobo PCs terrorizing the throw away NPCs that you just meant for color in a scene. It plays with traditional horror tropes excellently. I love to use that as a reminder to give motivations to NPCs and not underestimate how PCs can misunderstand things. Cabin in the Woods did a lot of this too, but most people know that one.

Len

Apr 26, 2022 6:59 pm
WarDomo says:
... Comedy is great too. My most recent two favorites in that genre would be Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga and Always Be My Maybe (a rare rom-com that actually lives up to it)
I haven't seen many of those movies, so thanks for that! I'll put them on my list. I can confirm that Always Be My Maybe is a great movie in many ways.
Apr 26, 2022 7:48 pm
Keanu Reeves is so great in that one!
Apr 26, 2022 11:16 pm
My 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct: What do movies and television get wrong about your job/career?
What are some of your favorite fan theories about movies?
What is your favorite movie based on an SNL skit?
What's your favorite board game right now? And could the most famous person alive with the same first name as you, beat you at that game?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.