5. Cold-hearted killer

load previous

Torrga Icevein

Adam

May 1, 2022 7:42 pm
Drawing on inner reserves, Rayne sprints through the snow.

Torrga's subtle axe comes down to try to block the fighter's blow, but he is too fast, too strong.

The two remaining bandits throw down their crossbows, leaving only the vainglorious Torrga to fight on.
OOC:
Anders to act.

Torrga Icevein

Rolls

Wis save DC15 - (1d20+0, 1d20+0)

1d20+0 : (7) = 7

1d20+0 : (8) = 8

May 1, 2022 11:16 pm
OOC:
Still out and about, busy day.
OOC:
Anders will cast Ensnaring Strike and stab Torrga with a short sword.
[ +- ] Ensnaring Strike (Wis)

Rolls

Anders the Frostburnt: Short Sword to hit - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Anders the Frostburnt: Short Sword damage - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Torrga: Strength save - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Torrga Icevein

Adam

May 2, 2022 4:56 am
Torrga struggles against the thorny vines. She tries slicing at them with her razor axe, but for every branch she severs, two more slide into position. Her gang use this diversion and take the opportunity to sneak away before sprinting north into the snow.

She wheedles as she struggles.

"You're being unfair to poor Torrga. There are four of you, dearies, and Torrga is only one.

Let Torrga go and Torrga will lead a good life that will make you proud. You'd like that, wouldn't you dearies?

But if you are low-down cutthroats, and Torrga doesn't think you are, then show honour. Let Torrga fight one of you in a duel for her freedom. Eh, dearies?

A fair duel? Give Torrga that warrior's honour."
[ +- ] Restrained
OOC:
Your actions.

Torrga Icevein

Rolls

Piercing - (1d6)

(2) = 2

escape DC13 - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

May 2, 2022 2:46 pm
With the violent beheading of Eva's killer, Okto lets out a long sigh of relief. Countless deaths were avenged by their hands alone, and by the gods, that felt good. Okto's mind immediately returns to Eva's poor father. If he is still alive back in Targos, Okto wonders if this action will really provide any actual comfort to the broken man, or if there will just be no way to put the pieces back together again.

Okto drops the fog cloud and strolls over towards Torrga, warhammer and shield proudly in hand. Okto thinks of Eva and thinks of Zin, whose fate is still unknown. "In my opinion, you gave up all honor and respect when you harbored and assisted a serial killer who targets the vulnerable and good. A quick death is more than you deserve, to be honest, but my veins run warm. What do you guys say?" He looks at each of his companions in turn.
May 2, 2022 3:06 pm
Anders doesn't drop his blade nor his concentration, but his shoulders relax some. This woman was not one to be trifled with, and yet they had managed trap her in a weakened and solitary state. "The townsfolk may have questions only she can answer. Best let her live for now, let them handle her how they see fit. A bounty is a bounty. Grab some rope," he says to his companions, hoping that emotions don't overwhelm them in this moment.

Auril

Adam

May 2, 2022 3:12 pm
Bells and Rayne are suffering mild exhaustion.

Night has fallen, and in Icewind Dale, it falls hard.
OOC:
If you're tying up Torrga then I rule that Sailors tie perfect knots - no roll necessary.

I'll wait to hear if there's a consensus on a plan.

Auril
May 2, 2022 3:45 pm
Maybe Bells' blood ran hot too because Okto's sentiments mirrored her own. Lifting her chin with a disgusted look on her face, When you heard the cries of the innocent begging for mercy, did you intervene? I think not. And now you would have me act honorably? Raising the blood soaked sword, I will as I honorably discharge you from this world giving justice to your victims.

Turning only slightly toward Anders, The head of Sephek is the only known item needed to collect a bounty. Keeping her alive is like trying to hold an eel. We should render her just fate.
Last edited May 2, 2022 4:11 pm
May 2, 2022 4:00 pm
Rayne breaths a calm breath for the first time in minutes seeing that everyone is safe and the bandits are indisposed. He considers Bell's words. "While I agree with Bells that it is unlikely this one will stop causing trouble, perhaps she could still serve a greater purpose. I'm still not too familiar with Targos' customs, but when is the next lottery? If Auril makes no distinction, I'm sure the folks of Targos wouldn't mind if there was a ringer the next time they have to draw lots."
May 2, 2022 4:09 pm
Anders nods at Rayne, who seemed to be keeping a calm head. "We are not far from Easthaven, and it is dangerous to continue to Good Mead now in our condition. I suggest we stay there for the night, and perhaps have words with the Speaker about what to do with her. Then on to find Zin in the morning." Looking down at Torrga, he grimmaces. It was possible his friend had already passed through here, and met an ill fate at the hands of this woman. But she likely would have gloated about it.

Torrga Icevein

Adam

May 2, 2022 5:23 pm
Torrga looks up at Anders with innocent eyes. The look doesn't suit her.

"Those poor sweet dearies. Poor sweet dearies. Torrga always thought it a shame what happened to them.

But don't you want to know why Sephek did it?

Not that Torrga agreed with him! No, no. Torrga is a bandit, but no worse than the other bandits on these dark trails.

Sephek had an... ideology, dearies. Now he's gone, Torrga is sure others will take his place."

She plays her card.

"But if you were to free Torrga... then perhaps you might hear why Sephek killed those poor sweet dearies.

Perhaps other poor sweet dearies might not have to suffer."

Torrga Icevein
May 2, 2022 7:52 pm
"Mayhaps a sled ride back to Easthaven with you trailing behind will loosen your tongue," Anders sneers, seemingly forgetting with whom he stands. He clenches his jaw, and takes a step or two away, giving the others an opportunity to negotiate the exchange of information.
May 2, 2022 9:29 pm
Okto is conflicted. He felt most of his anger be released as Sephek's head was forcefully removed from the rest of his body. His good nature is telling him to have mercy, to bring her back to town, and let the Ten Towns' justice have at her. If they could jury rig Targos' lottery in Torrga's favor, even better. He really does not want to go against the rest of the group and put the group's cohesion at risk.

But his own memories and personal history are telling him to deliver justice himself, here and now. He grew up here in the Ten Towns as an abandoned orphan. Sure, he stole here and there when he had to as a child, but never had to stoop to banditry and harboring and being an accomplice to an actual serial killer. Okto has been done wrong by bandits and traveling marauders before, and hates the added dread they add to Auril's wastelands. Plus, Torrga clearly has a way with words, and Okto doesn't know Easthaven that well, so who but Auril knows what awaits her there, she could just get a slap on the wrist and sent on her merry way.

Okto shimmers faintly with aurora light before moving past the others to directly before Torrga, kneeling down in front of her, and bearing his tusks, "I'll be honest, this is, usually, against my nature, and I don't like that I'm doing this. But I don't trust barbarians and bandits. So, please, gain my trust enough to not leave your body here in the snow next to Sephek and let you really earn your last name. Tell us."
OOC:
I will roll an intimidation check, maybe with advantage because of the situation or with Bells' help (since she also expressed wanting to just off her now)? If not, ignore the second d20 roll.
[ +- ] Further...
Last edited May 2, 2022 9:30 pm

Rolls

Intimidation (with guidance) - (2d20H1+1d4+1)

(917) + (3) + 1 = 21

Torrga Icevein

Adam

May 3, 2022 5:29 am
"If you take Torrga back to Eastie, then they will surely burn poor, poor Torrga.

Torrga has been bad, but Torrga wagers some of you have done bad things too. Perhaps we all deserve burning at the stake, eh dearies?"

Then Okto's spell punches Torrga, suppressing the parts of her soul that control independent thought.

"They cheated the lottery. Some of Auril's followers will not allow the Frostmaiden to be insulted."

Torrga's eyes swivel down, trying to stare in disbelief at her own traitorous lips.

"The Shander spares pregnant women and children. Some Easties hide in their sprawling town. The Tar... The Tar's lottery is rigged."

Torrga clamps her mouth shut, and her eyes swivel around as she determines whether the truthdanger has passed.

Targos's lottery is rigged? Huh, weird. Okto was just wondering about that.

The trussed bandit risks opening her mouth again.

"But that's just part of it, dearies. Torrga knows much much more, and Torrga doesn't think you have enough magic to force it all out.

Let Torrga go. Show that Icewind Dale is the land of second chances, eh dearies?

You don't want to have to look into another husband, or father, or mother's eyes and tell them that you could have stopped this. Eh, dearies?

It would be such a shame if all Torrga knows were to go up in Eastie's flames.

Torrga knows much much more. Mercy buys mercy. The land of second chances, eh dearies?"

Torrga Icevein

Rolls

WIS save DC13 (adv for the 20+ intimidation) - (2d20l1+0)

(915) = 9

May 3, 2022 11:32 am
OOC:
Insight check to see if she’s telling the truth about all of that, and if she really has any more information or is just saying anything at this point?

Rolls

Okto, the Frozen Tusk: Insight - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Torrga Icevein

Adam

May 3, 2022 12:22 pm
Bryn Shander doesn't put pregnant women or children in their lottery. Okto knows that to be true, as it's a common source of controversy in Targos which doesn't have the same exemption. Some men in Targos say that Bryn Shander has made a mistake and that it's a policy that's unfair to adult men - although never within frying-pan-distance of Ma. But Okto's never heard the priestess of Auril condemn Bryn Shander's lottery exemptions.

Is Targos's lottery rigged? There are rumours - but Targos is an enclosed town, and rumourmongery is to be expected.

But who did Sephek take from Targos? Those with connected and wealthy families, like Eva, the daughter of the last speaker. The first lottery selected Giandro's wife; he would have done anything, paid anything, to prevent his daughter from meeting the same fate.

Easthaven? Who knows?! The place has a reputation for being a den of thieves anyway.

Torrga's story explains known facts and doesn't contradict anything.

Torrga watches Okto watching her. She flashes her eyebrows.

"Yes, deary. It's making sense now, isn't it?

Murder was Sephek's thing - not Torrga's. Cold Sephek frightened poor old Torrga with his icy glares, but he frightened people we stopped on the road too.

Torrga just wanted gold. There's no profit in death, deary."

She licks her lips and leans forward as far as her bonds allow.

"Would you like to know who's fixing the lottery, deary? And who's behind it? Maybe what else they're planning?

Perhaps you want to know the leader of Sephek's twisted little church? Yes, deary, Torrga hears things, and Torrga sees things. Perhaps you don't care about the lottery, but Torrga wagers you'd like to see the end of extra killings.

Torrga's right, isn't she, deary?"

She nods at her axe.

"Agree to let Torrga go and let Torrga take her axe to protect herself against the yetis and crag cats. You'd be sentencing poor Torrga to death without her axe, deary.

If you all agree to that, then Torrga will tell you everything, and you'll never see Torrga again.

You'll know the words are true, deary. Torrga's words ring true like the chime of purest gold."

She smiles sweetly and bats her eyelids.

Okto sizes her up. Is it likely that this snake knows the affairs of other criminals? Damn it! It is.

Torrga Icevein
May 3, 2022 2:41 pm
Of course the rich were finding ways out of the lottery. It isn't the system they're cheating, but the other townsfolk. Those that die in their place. Death isn't necessarily the answer to this crime, but it was, oddly enough, even. But at the end of the day, Auril was getting more than her fair share.

"That's enough to to on, if we decide to pursue this issue," Anders says to the others in his group. He isn'tt sure how to handle this, nor is he convinced he should. But Okto had a heart far too big, and Bells seemed concerned with justice.

And Anders could provide justice. He steps forward, blade in hand. He plunges the short sword into where Torrga's heart must have once existed. He says no words to her, nor does he give her the opportunity to speak. And with the same motions he would after gutting an animal, he cleans off his blade and tucks it back in his belt.
May 3, 2022 3:03 pm
OOC:
Nice! I like decisions.

Torrga has had:
* Three sleddog teams;
* A bunch of trade stuff (inc stacks of cut wood, flint and tinder, flasks of whale oil, blankets, furs, rations, bottles of wine, casks of cheap ale, fake medicines, and vials of rat poison);
* A tent;
* A cheap and very heavy cast iron stove;
* A small and locked iron strongbox with a tricky DC20 lock (but the key is around her neck) containing 92 gp, 76 sp, 125 cp, and seven gemstones worth 10 gp each;
* A dwarven duelist's axe.

Let's get this moving so we can get the party back together. What's the plan?
May 3, 2022 3:31 pm
OOC:
We're going to take the sleds and load them up with as much gear as we can. We'll sell the oil and rat poison, ditch the fake medicine, and probably keep the furs and rations to build "bug out bags" for the sleds. The gems will probably fetch a better price in a bigger town. We'll also take the heads (and maybe bodies) of Sephek and Torrga.

We may leave the stove behind, or pick it up on our way back to double up at Anders'.

The money comes out to 25.2 gp per player, with some change.

We're heading to Easthaven for the night and to sell some things, then to Good Mead bright and early.
May 3, 2022 4:07 pm
OOC:
One more makes a consensus.
May 3, 2022 4:17 pm
Rayne nods to Anders after he finishes Torrga, "While I do not disagree with her end, I thought we might sacrifice Torrga here to save someone undeserving of Auril's fate, but her story has closed that option. Auril, apparently, does not like the lotteries to be tampered with. In some sense, a fairness within this wretched place." Rayne turns and begins to help collect the sleds and dogs, considering this place to be a much crueler and harsher place than he first expected. "Lets got going then," he says without turning back.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.