Group 1 - Story Thread

Apr 27, 2022 2:37 am
It had been a lean winter. Several promising deals that Viognu had lined up fell through in spectacular fashion. Savings and supplies had whittled down to almost non-existent. It was pretty close to make or break for the group at this point. But it's always darkest before the dawn and a new opportunity has fallen in your laps.

The tavern featured a beautiful, androgynous Elvenspring bard. They regaled the crowd with tales and legends from the history of Ravenland, these "Forbidden Lands," but the best ones they saved for late into the evening. Viognu laughed and flirted with the bard and gazed deep into their piercing yellow eyes. As most of the patrons passed out or dragged themselves to bed, the bard told the following tale:
Quote:
A long time ago, in the age before the Blood Mist, there was a princess named Saewyn. She traveled to a hill in some ruins Northeast of here in search of her only friend. The poor girl had lost an ill-advised bet to an ugly, lecherous dwarf. As the legend goes, the princess starved to death on her fruitless search and that at the location there is a dwarven artifact. The restless dead are said to still stalk those ruins today.
The crew geared up and set off in search of these ruins and the artifact therein. A half-day from the village, Bailin heard a jaunty tune being played on a lute. The bard sauntered out of the forest, their yellow-eyes glowing with mirth and mischief. Did I say northeast? Please forgive me, darlings. I may have lied a bit, but you just may be the group I need. He laughed with glee as silvery mists began to swirl about you. The laughs echoed in your ears as the mists blurred the world around you.

A moment later, the mists clear and the echoes fade into the distance. The thick forest about you has disappeared and in its place a broad sweeping plain as far as the eye can see to the north, south, and east. In the distance to the west, you spot a road and beyond them some hills.
Apr 27, 2022 3:31 am
OOC:
Today is Sunday morning the 5th of Winterwane. In the winter, the sun shines on Ravenland only during the second quarter day. Today it will rise on a horizon in a corner of the world you don't recognize. Describe your character and RP a bit as you get your bearing. You need to decide what you all will be doing next and who will be rolling what.

Days are divided in to four quarter days: Morning, Daytime, Evening, and Nighttime. This set of rolls will be for the Morning quarter day.
Apr 27, 2022 6:48 am
His foot up on a rock, hunched over with elbows resting on his raised knee, Baltzhar looks like a boulder: thick muscular arms and broad shoulders, covered in thick leather armor and carrying a heavy knapsack. He snorts, then a coarse voice comes from the middle of his dark bushy beard "That is a great start!" he looks around trying to get his bearings "Sun still rises in the east and the air is frigid as a kiss from Viognu! So at least this is not some kind of Time Sorcery! Where the Gods are we?"
Last edited April 27, 2022 6:50 am
Apr 27, 2022 3:07 pm
Hargrimm's frown deepens as the mists clear and they find themselves in the middle of nowhere beneath the infinite abyss of the sky. It was one thing to be out in the forest - at least there the canopy of trees could be a roof of sorts and if the wind blew too strong you could grab hold of a trunk to avoid being swept off the face of the earth. But there was no such cover here.

Lowering himself to one knee, he presses his open palm into the grass and sucked in some harsh, deep breaths. With his granite-grey robes covering his wide frame, he doesn't look much different than the boulder Baltzhar is stepping on. That lonesome boulder, no doubt scraped from its mountain home by some ancient, cruel glacier and unceremoniously dumped in the middle of nowhere eons past. Would this be his fate too?

No.

Rising to his feet, Hargrimm forces his mind from that perilous sequence and fixes his gaze to the horizon. He donned the iron crown of reason, dispelling the fear from his mind like a holy man expelling evil spirits (although, in truth, it turned out to be more like a barkeep kicking out the drunks at the end of the night).

From this mindset he noted the following was true: a powerful spell had just taken place. The minstrel half-elf was no doubt a being of considerable power and perhaps a source of knowledge. Powerful teachers are hard to come by, and although he doubted an Elvenspring had much to teach him about Stone Singing, knowledge was knowledge. He strokes his coal-gray bear, pondering for a moment about what kind of magic that could have been*.

Also true: a road isn't far away, and roads lead to civilized places. People with knowledge. Hearthfires and roofs. Books. With that thought, confidence seeps back into his veins. With a voice steady, he speaks out loud and with a stern tone:

"An unexpected turn of events. We should take to the road, or at least follow it. Bandits and worse may be about, I'll keep watch."
OOC:
* WarDomo, does Hargrimm know what kind of magic just transpired to take them here? Happy to roll Lore if you like, but I'll wait for your guidance as I'm green to this system.

Hargrimm will volunteer to be the Lookout (p. 147) He has no scouting skill but a Wit of 4. I believe that requires no roll until the Storyteller finds it necessary.
Apr 27, 2022 3:43 pm
The winter had indeed been harsh. The remaining coin had only stretched so far, not unlike the stores of food in many villages. Surfacers struggled so much come winter, as their isolated communities faced the weather that came with a vengeance. Viognu often found herself missing the protected, stable winters of the caves of her youth. Sheltered, and unwavering. But with each good memory came another, one that reminded her that her self-imposed exile was right.

And so she journeyed on, village to village. If her companions had learned one thing about Viognu, it was that her temperment was definitively tied to the cargo in her cart. Given that it was currently empty save some personal food, she had not been the most pleasant dwarf to interact with.

But then everything changed. Literally, as well as figuratively. That half-elf had finally spoken of the type of job she had set out for, one that would make her rich beyond her wildest dreams. Well, maybe not that rich. And then came the laughter and mists. No longer did she see the settlements that had spurned her, no longer did she see the same roads that unerringly led to disappointment. No, now she saw only potential.

The rather comely dwarf sits on her cart, stroking her small but meticulously groomed (and oiled) beard. Not as thick as either Baltzhar or Hargrimm, she looks rather dainty considering her kin, though still far more stout than a human. Her worn clothes still show signs of their former glory, rich colors now faded into vivid memory; rings of lesser materials adorn her fingers, the same fingers that drum thoughtfully on the wood of the cart. Finally she smiles. Her teeth flash in the rising sun with the plating and false teeth, a smile of excitement.

"You'd be lucky for a kiss from me, Balt. Many a man have begged for one. And now I can find many a more! The road seems promising, so long as your keen eyes can protect us from danger, Grim! That Elvenspring lied about the where, but not the what! Treasure awaits us, boys."
OOC:
Viognu will be content to let others do the work here, and just ride along in her cart.
Apr 27, 2022 3:43 pm
Len says:
WarDomo, does Hargrimm know what kind of magic just transpired to take them here? Happy to roll Lore if you like, but I'll wait for your guidance as I'm green to this system.
OOC:
You certainly can roll Lore here. This will be a hard task and so I will impose a -2 modifier to your Skill Dice

To be explicit for those less familiar with the dice mechanics and custom sheets. Click on the roll for your Wits on your character sheet, then click on the Lore roll on your sheet. This will add both rolls to your post.

Due to the modification, you will need to manually reduce your skill Dice in the post by 2. There are special rules if your skill Dice go negative but that's not the case here
Apr 27, 2022 4:20 pm
Bailin stares at his surroundings with a look of mistrust. Moving up to stand by Viognu, Bailin voices his concerns. I don't like this...do you want me to scout ahead? We need to be careful until we get the lay of the land.
OOC:
Do I need to make any rolls?
Apr 27, 2022 4:26 pm
OOC:
Hargrimm ponders the nature of the Elvenspring's magic.

Edit: Pushing the roll!
Hargrimm focuses his mind on his memories of patterns in the mist as it receded, thinking they may form signatures that will reveal the nature of the Elvenspring's magic. As he conjures up the images of the mist in his mind's eye, he can't help but remember his fear of the open sky. When dealing with magic, you should never have fear in your heart. The magic can sense it, and it will destroy you.

He curses his lack of caution as the memories of the pattern traps him in his own trepidation. He is forced to wrench his mind free of the thought, fortunately leaving himself with only a headache. It could have been much worse. He is determined to do better next time.
OOC:
1 Wits damage sustained and 1 willpower point gained!
Last edited April 27, 2022 9:30 pm

Rolls

Wits - (4D6)

(4153) = 13

Lore (-2 dice) - (1D6)

(5) = 5

Wits (-1 for bane) - (3D6)

(425) = 11

Lore (-2 for difficulty) - (1D6)

(1) = 1

Apr 27, 2022 4:40 pm
Viognu waves on Bailin somewhat dismissively. "Yes, yes, that's what I hired you for," Viognu says incorrectly. It has been a common theme, the dwarf thinking that she had put together this group as an expedition with her as the patron. The rest of the group may disagree.
Apr 27, 2022 7:39 pm
OOC:
@Hargrimm that's a failure, you can try to push, but you risk at least one Wits damage at this point. On the plus side you also look to receive at least one willpower point because of the bane you've already rolled.

If you choose to push, you'll roll 1 less Wits die and the same number of skill Dice as before.

@Bailin: let's wait and see what the whole group is doing

Speaking of which...since this is the first time doing this, lets recap the options:

✥ HIKE. Must be done by all adventurers if you want to proceed on the game map.
✥ LEAD THE WAY. Can be combined with HIKE, but can only be done by one adventurer in the group. Helping is not allowed.
✥ KEEP WATCH. Can be combined with HIKE, but can only be done by one adventurer in the group. Helping is not allowed.
✥ FORAGE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. Helping is allowed.
✥ HUNT. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. Helping is allowed.
✥ FISH. Requires a river or a lake. Can be done by several adventurers. Helping is allowed.
✥ MAKE CAMP. Only one adventurer may roll, but helping is allowed.
✥ REST. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. Occurs automatically when you SLEEP.
✥ SLEEP. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time. When you SLEEP, you automatically REST at the same time.
✥ EXPLORE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.

Explore is only when you are at an adventure site, so it doesnt apply right now.
Apr 27, 2022 8:14 pm
OOC:
I pushed the roll (added to above post!). Failure and another bane on the Lore dice :D
Apr 27, 2022 9:00 pm
OOC:
@Hargimm the bane on the Lore roll doesn't count against you. So you have failed with one bane.

So mechanically, you take one point of Wits damage and gain one Willpower point.

Wits damage takes the form of fear, panic, and confusion. I think confusion makes the most sense here. Why don't you take a stab at interpreting your results here.

@everyone as you get more comfortable with the system feel free to interpret how your die rolls play out. It will move the game along faster in pbp and gives you a chance to add to the narrative. If we need to retcon we always can
Apr 27, 2022 9:02 pm
OOC:
If we send out Bailin to scout around, would that just be Hike with Keep Watch?

I think we're considering Hiking to the road, and picking a direction from there.
Apr 27, 2022 9:05 pm
OOC:
if he hikes he would be moving to the next hex without the rest of you. That's definitely an option... What could possibly go wrong?
Apr 28, 2022 6:36 am
OOC:
I'd say we all HIKE in the direction of the road, with Bailin LEADING THE WAY and someone else KEEPING WATCH
Apr 28, 2022 9:21 am
Macenaeth joined the group along with his longtime friend Bailin. The half-elven healer, clothed only in simple brown hooded robes, is certainly not the one most geared for combat, working a more supportive role in the group.

Once the group agrees on heading towards the road, Mac nods and decides to ignore Viognu, who once again plays the role of the group's patron. There will be enough room for arguments later and with the dwarven stubborness, they could very well be debating this late into the night. Instead, the healer pats Bailin on the back.
"Be careful."
OOC:
Mac doesn't have any points in scouting, but he may still be able to fill the role of a lookout with his 4 Wits. Unless somebody else prefers to do so, of course.
Apr 28, 2022 12:49 pm
Aironfabio says:
OOC:
I'd say we all HIKE in the direction of the road, with Bailin LEADING THE WAY and someone else KEEPING WATCH
OOC:
That's generally how it's supposed to work but, if you wanted to split the party this early, I wouldn't stop you
Apr 28, 2022 3:21 pm
"Yes, we have many questions and the road may lead to some answers," Hargrimm says to the group.
Aironfabio says:
OOC:
This sounds good to me. I don't know if there is an advantage to splitting up, but I'm new to this system I'm happy to be corrected. My vote is for us sticking together and moving toward the road. Multiple characters can KEEP WATCH, so that could be Hargrimm and Macenaeth.
Apr 28, 2022 4:06 pm
OOC:
No, only one person can do the actions LEAD THE WAY and KEEP WATCH and helping is not allowed on those rolls.

Clarification: two different characters must do the Lead and Watch actions. No one else can help them. Everyone else would just be hiking to move to the next hex.

So let's just lock in who is leading and who is watching and then pick a direction (which sounds like west to the road?)
Apr 29, 2022 12:11 am
OOC:
Gotcha. Okay then Mac is the best choice for lookout as I took Wits damage.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.