7. Good Mead

Axe Beak

Adam

May 4, 2022 5:40 pm

Axe Beak
May 4, 2022 6:28 pm
Anders seems to glow in the presence of the woodlands, the relative warmth radiating from his still very pale skin. The trees and the noise much preferable to the cold silence of the tundra. Once or twice his companions catch the man even smiling as the dogs crash across the trail. In his mind, he is back at sea with the waves smashing against the hull of his ship, the salty air biting at his face. He is happy.

But the slapping of an axebeak approaching from behind snaps him back to reality. Having been in the lead for much of the trail, he begins to slow the dogs and makes sure the others are aware of the newcomer. The dogs could use a quick break anyways. Hand waiting to snap to his bow, he waits with rapt attention.

A bird that had been flying high in the sky comes to land on the edge of Anders' sled, a strange creature that seems to have features of many avians. Its feathers, depending on the angle at which one looks, go from shiny black to brilliant red to a gleaming gold. Even the beak can't seem to decide if it is meant for piercing or tearing. The only constant is that it seems comfortable with Anders, whom it has been following all day.
OOC:
Query to the group: Who took our original sled and dogs?
May 4, 2022 10:13 pm
This creature, this wonderful creature! As Nippers glides through the frigid snow Zin feels the connection to it, the warmth of its core, the strong heartbeat. For the first hour, the wood elf revels in the joy of this experience running open and free. Then a weight begins to slide into his conscience at the reconciliation coming. Uncertainty and nervousness begin to seep into his form and Zin finds himself lost in thoughts that may be. At first Zin doesn’t register the bells, so lost in his internal worries. Until he sees them, the group that had shifted something within him and his heart fills with… hope. Zin stands in Nippers’ saddle, waving to the party and closing the distance.

The mask of Zinvaris makes it hard to truly read his emotions, but there can be no doubt from Zin’s eyes that he is smiling. Well met brave travelers!
May 5, 2022 1:33 am
OOC:
Wasn't there a post about a wizard being burned at the stake? I can't seem to find it. And a ghost? That seemed like something Bells would be interested in hearing more about. Or maybe I imagined it...
May 5, 2022 1:36 am
CherokeeWind says:
OOC:
Wasn't there a post about a wizard being burned at the stake? I can't seem to find it. And a ghost? That seemed like something Bells would be interested in hearing more about. Or maybe I imagined it...
OOC:
There was! We went to Easthaven for the night, and there was a literal witch burn. We didn't have anything to do with it. So we went to sleep, dreamt of Ignus from Planescape: Torment, then woke up and headed out towards Good Mead. We could still go back to Easthaven and figure out the story there.
May 5, 2022 2:15 am
OOC:
Yes. But I was keen to get Zin back. As Cowley says, Easthaven is still there if you want to return.

Anyway, everyone was too tired to go Scooby Dooing last night.
May 5, 2022 5:32 am
Adrenaline allows a person to exceed the normal functioning parameters of a body but it can only carry one so far. First a blizzard and then a tense battle that could have very well have gone against the party followed by an emotionally charged decision...well, it had been overwhelming. Was it any wonder the bard had barely kept her grip on the sled as it pulled her into Easthaven?

And, of course, savagery met their arrival. Death certainly thrived in the icy wasteland...the one constant that welcomed them wherever they traveled as skin continually was separated from bone. She was becoming morose. Rest and food would help the bard regain her optimistic perspective.

But nothing rejuvenated Bells more than the message from Zin. Laughing in relief, the bard shared with her Charms that the missing one of them was whole and would meet them at the designated location. Sitting back with a pancake slathered with lingonberry jam, Bells smiles in satisfaction that soon everyone would be reunited.
May 5, 2022 2:07 pm
It has been years since Okto has seen green like this, and bugs too! Okto was beginning to believe that bees and such were just childhood fever dreams, and that such creatures didn't actually exist. He is smiling and laughing as they flut around him and crawl across his armor.

Okto sees the figure approaching wearing barbarian furs and immediately jumps off his sled and places a hand on his warhammer, ready for a fight. But when he notices that the figure is more familiar than he realized, the smile returns to his face, and he runs forward to meet Zin and, surprising even to himself, he goes for a welcoming hug. "Zin! Oh my gods, are you okay?! We have so much to catch you up on!"
May 5, 2022 2:35 pm
Curiously, both Anders and the bird seem to relax when it is discovered that Zin hides beneath the furs. At least the man was finally wearing something appropriate to the north, ironic that he finds such clothing in the warmest corner of the Icewind Dale. The ranger whispers something to the bird, and it begins flying around again, almost in a perimeter around the newly rejoined group. As he assumes Okto and Bells will have plenty of words, he dismounts from his sled and begins checking on the dogs. Without turning, and in his typical dry tone of voice, he asks, "So what is bringing us to Good Mead?"
OOC:
Anders will use his 1/day Speak with Animals to make sure the dogs are happy, and that both teams and drivers are working together.
May 5, 2022 3:40 pm
OOC:
We can each take our initial dog and transfer it to our own team. I don't have a preference to which sled Bells gets but Timber is her dog.
May 5, 2022 11:32 pm
Zin is startled by Okto’s hug and awkwardly claps the half orc on the back. None the worse for wear, Okto. At Anders’ question, a cloud passes over Zin’s expression before he answers Oarus’ idea of where to go next… Zin pauses briefly before stating …I think Nippers here can sense something I can not. We were outrunning some snow and I worry to be caught out in it. Perhaps we should talk when we have food and drink. Zin then rubs Okto’s head a little before jumping back in Nippers’ saddle.
May 5, 2022 11:51 pm
"Agreed," is all Anders says as he returns to his own sled, taking a moment to examine the horizon back in the direction they had all come.

Olivessa Untapoor

Adam

May 6, 2022 5:07 am
Anders looks to the east, his every sense open to Auril's signs. He reads the skies, tastes the winds, listens to the dogs as they scent the air, and feels the prickle of ice.

Dagwind. Auril's wind sends supercooled moisture from the eastern glacier. It will form as clumpy knots of hard rime on fur and feather. It's uncomfortable and exhausting for dogs. It wouldn't do much more than slow you, but the poor animals don't deserve to suffer after yesterday's hard drive.

You continue west to Good Mead.

Good Mead: 21 Uktar 14:00
https://i.imgur.com/VzUEJBx.png
Echoing their billion-strong insect workforce Good Mead is a hive of industry. Shield-dwarf coopers hammer away in open workshops. Dark-skinned humans, dressed in brightly dyed furs, chop firewood.

The Mead Hall is a fine two-story structure by the lake, its eaves carved and painted to resemble the wyverns. It overshadows the town's squat dwellings and functions as Good Mead's inn, market, tavern, brewery, and distillery.

Opposite the Mead Hall is the town's shrine to Tempus. But unlike the mead hall, which is well cared for, the shrine's painted icons of the god of war are chipped and faded, and its hall - cramped by the standards of most southerners, though twice the size of any of the town's dwellings - stands empty most days.

On a long table, outside the shine, is a coffin open to the cold air in which rests a large man's body covered with a blanket. A middle-aged woman arranges wreaths of mistletoe and pine next to the coffin. Her skin is hazelnut brown, and her eyes the blue-grey of an Icewind summer's sky. She has a face that has lived - a face that has seen both triumph and tragedy and gets the joke.

Olivessa Untapoor
May 6, 2022 10:07 am
Zinvaris looks around Good Mead as if the buildings and people were immediate threats to the group. A tenseness follows the elf as he rides through the buzzing town, his hand on his sword and his eyes constantly moving. Seeing the man dressed for his funeral, Zin leans to the group and says in a voice that doesn’t carry. I believe that is Good Mead's Speaker Kendrick Rielsbarrow who was slain… We don’t have a lot of time. But first you must know something. Zin then makes his way to Mead Hall giving Nippers to a stable hand and making his way into the huge building.
May 6, 2022 10:48 am
OOC:
Bloody hell! You were told about Speaker Kendrick about a month ago (real time).

And you remembered?! You CoC players pay attention, don't you?
May 6, 2022 11:11 am
OOC:
I had to go back in the thread for the name :)

Kåresohn the barkeep

Adam

May 6, 2022 11:24 am
As you enter the Mead Hall, you are mugged by the rich, complicated, yeasty, smell of brewing. The right side of the hall is busy with workers harvesting honey, filling barrels, flavouring with herbs and fruits, bottling, labelling, and loading the fire. As they work, a youth reads an adventure story to the labourers from a lectern at the front. His voice is crisp and clear, if a little rural in its accent.

The left side of the hall is quiet, and the tables are mainly empty and quiet. The barkeep (who looks the spitting image of Targos's Cap'n Hemp) sees that you're deep in conversation and raises a nod to acknowledge that he'll give you a minute.

Kåresohn the barkeep
May 6, 2022 11:28 am
Edmund_Balworth says:
OOC:
I had to go back in the thread for the name :)
OOC:
Oh well! It doesn't count if you had to look up the name.

I expect players to have memorised the name of Speaker.... (ctrl+c,....,ctrl+v,....) ...Speaker Kendrick Rielsbarrow.
May 6, 2022 1:22 pm
Bells saw the two men hugging before stretching her arms as far as she could around them both. The bard looked over her shoulder to encourage the others to join in a group hug but something about Anders demeanor said that wasn't going to happen before the possibility was even voiced. What! You disappear on us then leave cryptic messages before showing up on Nippers, is it? There's a story here and I can't wait to hear it! But, yes...yes let's do it over food and some mead.

Entering the town, Bells couldn't help but pick up the changes in Zin's demeanor that spoke of a looming threat but those clues remained invisible to her own eyes as the normal functions of what one would expect of those going about their craft pointed to nothing being amiss. The hairs on the back of her neck raised at the dichotomy. Would she even see it coming?

The weight of her gaze fell upon Zin. If there was a threat why enter town instead of avoiding it altogether? Trust was being stretched to the point of breaking. Let's grab that table. Settling in, Bells was in the midst of shrugging off her furs when she nudges the conversation along, You mentioned a lack of time so perhaps we shouldn't be wasting any more of it. Enough with dire warnings...let's hear the meat of the problem plain and clear.
May 6, 2022 2:32 pm
Zinvaris stares at Bells for a moment and then begins methodically removing his sword, daggers, knives and various other weapons from his person, laying them on the floor. Zin retrieves a pair of iron manacles from his pack and lays them on the table in front of his chair, open up. He finally looks at each of the group in turn before reaching up and removing his mask, laying it on the table next to him.
OOC:
Restating for everyone but Rayne.
OOC:
Zinvaris’s face is a picture of Elven beauty. Bronze colored delicate skin with features in perfect harmony with the size and shape of his face, complimenting his jet black hair and his piercing blue eyes. He would be beautiful, if it weren’t for a large garish scar on his left cheek. It starts close to his ear in between cheekbone and jaw and makes a path down along his jaw before turning up to meet the corner of his mouth. It spans an inch and a half wide by five inches long and showcases the underlying muscle of Zin’s cheek. Where it connects to his mouth, it pulls his mouth down slightly making it seem as if he has a permanent frown from the left.
Zin speaks in a soft voice cast for the table alone. Thank you… for coming. Zin looks very nervous, he can’t seem to keep his body still. After he takes a deep breath, he looks over his shoulder at … something and then nods to himself. I’m not sure how much Oarus has told you, if anything. But I wasn’t completely forthright with you… before. I just need you to understand before I tell you. Zin seems to collect himself and then calmly states.Suppose the Elm tells the Ash it is a Cedar, and keeps telling the Ash over and over and over. The Ash, well, it might start to THINK it’s a Cedar. Zin casts a glance at each of the party seeing blank faces. He refocuses himself. Sorry… You see, I’ve been told my whole life that I’m a monster. I came to the Dale… to find the answer to a question. A question of my heart… my true heart. I heard the people here looked past the skin of Drizzt Do’Urden… Looked past the monster everyone else saw and knew his heart… What I found was more of what I left behind. There has only been one other… who didn’t think of me so, until I met you. When you saved me from that monstrosity, I… I saw something… Zin looks at Anders The majestic oak stands tall and weathered, its bark bearing the scars of countless storms and trials. Protecting the forest inward with wisdom and age. Zin looks at Rayne The dark yew that deceives with its ability to bend and sway but holds a remarkable strength and is one of the hardest to break. Zin looks at Okto The radiant basswood that delights in its usefulness and strengthens with age, always dependable. And finally, Zin looks at Bells The delicate cherry that holds the beauty and sweetness of the forest and offers comfort for any that would lie beneath its boughs…. You… are a forest… you are a family… And it makes me yearn for something I thought lost to me… Zin nods silently and looks at the floor drawing a few deep breaths. Zin looks up with a stern, cold and emotionless face and states flatly When we first met I was working for the Zhentarim. I was an assassin using you to get close to my mark, Oarus Masthew. I had planned on framing you for Oarus’ murder and securing the Zhentarim’s interests in Termalaine. After making his statement Zin closes his eyes, casts his face down slightly and continues in a somewhat quieter voice The Zhentarim will not stop with my defection. There is likely a price on my head and possibly yours as well. I can understand if you want me to leave you or if you condemn me as you would be right to do so. But my actions may have placed you in danger and I would make sure you all are safe… if you deem me worthy of that. I seek to stop the black network's moves in the Dale to protect... to protect... you... I… I place my judgment in your hands. With that last quick statement, Zin puts his wrists in the open manacles and turns his face so his scar is hidden from view, eyes still closed and waits.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.