Ask Me Anything: Adam

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 13, 2022 6:58 am
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: Adam
Pronouns: He/him
RPG Interests: DnD 5e on the Sword Coast
Non-RPG Interests: Recreational maths, sleeping

This AMA will run until 20 May 2022.
Adam
May 13, 2022 7:20 am
I know you are a wizard with the underlying website programming. But what do you actually do for a living?
May 13, 2022 7:24 am
runekyndig says:
I know you are a wizard with the underlying website programming. But what do you actually do for a living?
I write code and have done so my entire working life. It's why I didn't include coding in my non-rpg interests. I'm not sure it counts if you get paid to do it.
May 13, 2022 7:32 am
If you were the mayor of your city/town, what new rule would you enforce?

Do you like logic puzzles and have you ever tried these?
May 13, 2022 7:41 am
TheGenerator says:
If you were the mayor of your city/town, what new rule would you enforce?
I live in a rural area, so I don't have a city or a town - but in the spirit of the question... I'd enforce a rule whereby people vote for a better mayor.
TheGenerator says:
Do you like logic puzzles and have you ever tried these?
I haven't tried those particular puzzles, but that's the kind of thing. I'm most fond of combinatorics (counting arrangements of things) and probability puzzles.
May 13, 2022 7:50 am
Adam says:
I'd enforce a rule whereby people vote for a better mayor.
I'm not sure that qualifies as a 'new' rule ;) but I'll let it slide.
Adam says:
I'm most fond of combinatorics
Got an example of those?
May 13, 2022 8:05 am
TheGenerator says:
Adam says:
I'm most fond of combinatorics
Got an example of those?
A couple of RPG related examples.

Death saves. How many ways can we order five d20s such that our favourite PC lives (given that nat 20s and nat1s are special)? Or let's say the PCs need to visit four of Icewind Dale's towns before they can leave the roads. How many ways can they complete that task, without visiting any town more than once?

I keep a notebook on my desk and investigate the maths of things that occur to me. Not all are interesting, but some can be.
Last edited May 13, 2022 8:06 am
May 13, 2022 8:07 am
On a scale of 1 to 100, how much do you cringe at how programming and programmers are portrayed in pop tv/movies?
Got a decent portrayal example?

What's your guilty pleasure movie of choice?

Would you consider running a lore-teaching game about Sword Coast for people new to DnD and ignorant to said lore?

What's the one activity/hobby/habit you have/do that we wouldn't guess for the life of us?
May 13, 2022 8:22 am
Antiproduct says:
On a scale of 1 to 100, how much do you cringe at how programming and programmers are portrayed in pop tv/movies?
The movies portray everything unrealistically. That's their job. I don't mind.
Antiproduct says:
Got a decent portrayal example?
The code I saw on Mr Robot looked like it would work. I wasn't paying too much attention, but I believe I saw a regex that was intercepting downloads for apk files. Yeah, that could be part of an attack on mobile devices.
Antiproduct says:
What's your guilty pleasure movie of choice?
Dune. The David Lynch version. I liked and still like that movie.
Antiproduct says:
Would you consider running a lore-teaching game about Sword Coast for people new to DnD and ignorant to said lore?
Gods! A teaching game? That sounds horrible. Although... QuantumRiot had an in-game tavern quiz, but as it was in Cormyr many of the questions were lore-based. That was fun.
Antiproduct says:
What's the one activity/hobby/habit you have/do that we wouldn't guess for the life of us?
I like practical things too. Last night I repaired my brother's car's exhaust heat shield. When I was a young lad I used to drive forklifts and diggers at my dad's business.
Last edited May 13, 2022 8:22 am

KCC

May 13, 2022 10:07 am
Was it your idea to change the phrasing from:

‘Edited 6 times…’

To

‘"Last edited…" under an edited post?

The single greatest innovation in tech, saving me threads-worth of embarrassing revisions. Thank you!!
Last edited May 13, 2022 10:07 am
May 13, 2022 10:16 am
KCC says:
Was it your idea to change the phrasing from:

‘Edited 6 times…’

To

‘"Last edited…" under an edited post?

It was, but it was entirely selfish. I didn't do it to save your embarrassment, but my own.
May 13, 2022 11:13 am
Can we please request that you add to your user picture the phrase "ceci n'est pas un avatar" ?

(and, do I have to log that in Site Development?)
May 13, 2022 11:26 am
Dr_B says:
Can we please request that you add to your user picture the phrase "ceci n'est pas un avatar" ?

(and, do I have to log that in Site Development?)
Sure. Why not? We ignore all the other suggestions in development.
May 15, 2022 3:07 am
You put maths down as recreational, what would you like people to know more regarding the subject if you could convince them it was worth their time?

For example, I hated almost every maths class I ever had as a kid, but when I grew up I accidentally found a bunch of history around the subject that instantly made it more interesting. For example, the Greeks were drawing square roots (Greek Ladders) in the dirt with sticks, or that algebra is Arabic word, al-jabr. Those were moments where I thought, "Well, obviously, but why hadn't I thought of that before?" These examples sound like trivia for a pub quiz, but in my opinion, they make maths a deeper more interesting subject.

What would you like to see people have a greater appreciation of regarding maths?
May 15, 2022 6:18 am
my 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct: What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
Classic Question: You have a meeting at 2pm. If your boss tells you the meeting's been moved forward 1 hour what time is the meeting now?
Multipart question: What's something that the last generation got to do/experience, but you won't and it kind of bums you out? Something that the last generation did that you are glad you don't have to deal with? What's something positive that you got to experience that the next generation won't? And something you're glad the next generation won't have to do or deal with?
May 15, 2022 12:15 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
What would you like to see people have a greater appreciation of regarding maths?
Mathematics isn't about numbers. It's reasoning with rules. Sometimes the rules represent real things, sometimes they're purely abstract.

In short. It's a game.
May 15, 2022 12:26 pm
What was the name of the kingdom that ruled the land that your house is in, in Anglo Saxon times?
May 15, 2022 12:26 pm
Trying to dox Adam, I see
May 15, 2022 12:37 pm
crazybirdman says:
my 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct: What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
I think Britain is over-represented in movies, television, literature, and song. People have seen it from so many different angles and probably now have an accurate impression by taking the average.
crazybirdman says:
Classic Question: You have a meeting at 2pm. If your boss tells you the meeting's been moved forward 1 hour what time is the meeting now?
It'll be at 1pm. But at 12:30pm somebody won't be able to make it, and I'll get an email saying it's cancelled until next week.
crazybirdman says:
Multipart question: What's something that the last generation got to do/experience, but you won't and it kind of bums you out?
Something that the boomers got to experience, that gen-x won't? Dunno. Climate change denial?
crazybirdman says:
Something that the last generation did that you are glad you don't have to deal with?
Fixing casual racism and sexism. Man! I'm so glad they sorted that. Wait, what's that?
crazybirdman says:
What's something positive that you got to experience that the next generation won't?
The ZX81. We were the generation who had computers that you needed to program in machine code if they were going to do anything. We watched technology invented and evolve, and many of us ended up with a deeper understanding of the tech that surrounds us because we PEEKed and POKEd.

If millennials wanted something on the screen they called an API or wrote HTML, whereas we jammed something directly into screen memory.
crazybirdman says:
And something you're glad the next generation won't have to do or deal with?
The OS crashes that occurred because some moron hacker decided to jam something directly into memory.

...And those choking-hazard ring pulls. I remember them fondly but the world is a better place without them.

https://i.imgur.com/bvzNCNN.png
May 15, 2022 12:40 pm
Qralloq says:
What was the name of the kingdom that ruled the land that your house is in, in Anglo Saxon times?
I'm very much a Mercian and proud of it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.