Private player subforums

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 16, 2022 3:59 pm
GMs creating private subforums for their players is a common use case.

I do this all the time, but each time it's trial and error. Qralloq created a video, but even that gets pretty hand-wavy towards the end.

Can somebody please help document this. I think this is right(ish).
As the GM:

1. On the root forum, click Administrative Control Panel in the top right.
[ +- ] Screenshot
2. On the subforums tab, create a subforum (usually named after the player), and click Add.
[ +- ] Screenshot
3. Click the key for the subforum's permissions.
[ +- ] Screenshot
4. Click Add next to "Add permissions for (your game)"
[ +- ] Screenshot
5. Click "Edit" on that group permission.
[ +- ] Screenshot
6. Change everything to No, then Save.
[ +- ] Screenshot
The default permissions for this subforum are now that only GMs see it.

...now we give the player access.

7. Create permissions for the user we want to access the forum.
[ +- ] Screenshot
8. Edit the permissions for that user.
[ +- ] Screenshot
9. Give the user the appropriate permissions and click "Save".
[ +- ] Screenshot

Did you notice how I said "appropriate permissions" there in step 9? Yeah. I don't really know what they are.
Last edited May 16, 2022 4:08 pm
May 16, 2022 4:11 pm
Really helpful. Thanks!
May 16, 2022 5:55 pm
Quote:
Did you notice how I said "appropriate permissions" there in step 9? Yeah. I don't really know what they are.
My standard setup for the tutorial which I think makes sense was this:
https://i.imgur.com/YWqfvvS.png
Jun 6, 2022 1:38 pm
For simplicity's sake, I find it sufficient to only remove Read privileges from everyone and giving Read privileges to the one person.

I think it's also important to mention that "private" subforums with these permissions only apply to the players in the game and do not prevent other people (or people who aren't logged in) from viewing the subforums.
Jun 6, 2022 1:40 pm
WarDomo says:
For simplicity's sake, I find it sufficient to only remove Read privileges from everyone and giving Read privileges to the one person.
Cheers. That's worth knowing.
WarDomo says:
I think it's also important to mention that "private" subforums with these permissions only apply to the players in the game and do not prevent other people (or people who aren't logged in) from viewing the subforums.
That's true today, but when the staging code is released those will be locked down.
Jun 6, 2022 3:48 pm
I notice that when I set up the forum, new additions can see everything before I change their settings to ‘no’. This can be problematic in the case of starting a private forum for one player before the official start of the game, then adding new characters afterwards.
Jun 6, 2022 3:53 pm
Just don't set the restrictive permissions per player but instead for the group of all players and then add the permission to view the subforum back to people who are supposed to see it individually.

Also, you can edit permissions for players who have applied to the game before you accept them
Jun 6, 2022 3:53 pm
Quote:
Just don't set the restrictive permissions per player but instead for the group of all players and then add the permission to view the subforum back to people who are supposed to see it individually.
Which is what Adam's guide up there describes

You do not have permission to post in this thread.