New to PbP, interested to learn

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 26, 2022 1:04 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm a long time RPG player, and almost eternal DM... Very interested to try out new systems especially in the format of Play by Post, and explore which systems work well for this type of game.

I play in person mostly DnD, but I would be interested to try out new things in this format - I feel like going through a 5e combat over post would be a slog.

I am generally active online, and will probably be a relatively active player :) I like worldbuilding and working on the depth of the game world, and I hope this format will allow me more 'deep' play than in person.

I am ESL, so expect the occasional 'awkward phrasing', but I think I'm relatively fluent. I do most of my in person play in English.

I'll look into game openings, any pointers welcome :)
May 26, 2022 1:12 pm
Hello and welcome!
May 26, 2022 2:04 pm
Hail and well met! DnD can actually work well in play by post if everyone's active. I'm sure you'll find plenty of games of all kinds here to try out.
May 26, 2022 2:13 pm
Welcome.

What sorts of new systems are you interested in looking at? What sorts of genres or stories?
May 26, 2022 2:46 pm
Welcome panalexiou. I hope you find some great games to try, and there are lots and lots of non native English speakers here. As I am primarily a cellphone based player, any grammatical errors you make are certainly going to be less awkward than my autocorrect gaffs.
May 26, 2022 3:18 pm
Welcome, we got members from around the world, and pretty much everybody will ignore typoes and grammatical hiccups, as long as it is clear that you are trying to be as readable as possible.
May 26, 2022 4:10 pm
Welcome, panalexiou!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
May 26, 2022 6:13 pm
Welcome to the community, @panalexiou! I'm ESL as well. Don't worry about it!

PbP is very different than in-person or even live remote gaming. The pace is much slower but it makes for incredibly rich roleplay, making it very rewarding!

Yes, combat can take a long time in this format, but the oportunity to make vivid descriptions by players committed to immersian can make it the opposite of a slog!

PbP is also a great way to learn new rulesets! I hope you find some great games here!
May 26, 2022 10:38 pm
Welcome Aboard!
May 27, 2022 12:52 am
Welcome to the site! May your experiences be pleasant and your games never have a player have to drop~

Len

May 27, 2022 1:28 am
Welcome to the community!
May 27, 2022 1:49 am
Welcome to the fold! This is a great site to try out new systems.
May 27, 2022 3:24 am
Welcome, welcome!!
May 27, 2022 7:22 am
vagueGM says:
Welcome.

What sorts of new systems are you interested in looking at? What sorts of genres or stories?
I have been interested in OSR systems lately, but I'm also FATE curious. Irl I like sci-fi/cyberpunk stories the most, but I most often play fantasy or contemporary horror (CoC, VtM) because that's what the local community plays.
May 27, 2022 7:31 am
Yep. Fantasy and Urban Fantasy are definitely the most common and easiest to find.

There is a fair amount of OSR here from time to time.
May 27, 2022 9:01 am
https://c.tenor.com/Zxu5S6-0qHAAAAAM/whalecome.gif

There's definitely a fair amount of OSR going on around here.
Don't hesitate to run something yourself, as pbp will give you the time to figure things out as you move on with the game.

Don't worry about ESL, pbp is forgiving and gives you the time to review your posts. Also, a fellow Greek?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.