Fireball

Volo

Adam

Jun 15, 2022 12:52 pm
Volo proudly displays the paper.

WAZZOOIAN HERO'S

The Wazoo could halve its number of grammatical mistakes by melting down the apostrophes. But let's not ruin Volo's day as he hasn't been this happy since that day Vinnie had a source that wasn't "some bloke in a tavern who reckoned...".

"A real scoop, dear boys. A real scoop!"

He smoothes down the paper, caressing the pages in a manner so loving it's almost pervy.

"I said Floon was a story, didn't I, dear boys? Didn't I?"

He taps his bulbous nose leaving a smudge of ink before pulling some bulging leather money pouches from his desk.

"Sales are booming! People are talking about us, dear boys. The Wazoo Dares When Others Don’t. Wazoo - The Real Story. It All Unfolds In The Wazoo. Journalism of Courage. News Before It Is News. Faerun's Fastest Newspaper."

If he's planning on using all those taglines, then there won't be room for the headline, but the pouches each contain your 12 shards and 6 dragons bonus each, so he's allowed to natter.

Volo sits back down, having exhausted himself crowing.

"Please, dear boys! Indulge me. Read me one of your favourite paragraphs."
OOC:
I don't need a whole story. Just a paragraph that you might have written about yesterday's events.
Volo
Jun 15, 2022 2:06 pm
WE ARE NOT AFRAID XHANTHAR!
Aside from my suspicions which are supported by substantial evidence, of the nature of this kidnapping which I have not been permitted to write about as this is a newspaper not a oracle I must reveal that I was Indeed involved with the attack and decapitation of several abomination in the sewers on the way down, I have it under good authority that the most accurate account of these events likely comes from Patience as Fynnwood? fills his stories with nonsense of the entertainment variety and Jodelle was corrupted by arcane influences during the journey however I think the more interesting question is what activities might be acceptable for one to partake in following these events?
A standard group of reporters never would have attempted such a task because of the resulting target it would undoubtedly paint upon their heads however I will report on the event and I will not be frightened by threats from the underworld! I Sir Vincent (or at least Sir Vincent once the lords respect our accomplishments and Knight us) WILL NOT be frightened away by the lousy work of these gangs if they wish to kill me then let the attempts commence I am not afraid!

I will be marching down Mendever Street a target painted upon my head an hour after this papers first release.
Jun 15, 2022 8:11 pm
Adam says:
"A real scoop, dear boys."
"Hey..."
Adam says:
"I said Floon was a story, didn't I, dear boys?"
Jodelle looks grumpy now... but she stills hands over her paragraph, which she had written in a hurry and which she had not turned in for editting yet.
[ +- ] TRUE HORROR OF WATERDEEP ISN'T A SQUIDMAN
Last edited June 15, 2022 8:17 pm
Jun 16, 2022 11:02 am
I think I've got to change a few things. Vincent mutters when he sees how quickly Jodelle's report goes to talking about the Friendly Flounder
Jun 16, 2022 8:58 pm
YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT THESE BESTSELLING NEWSPAPER'S JOURNALISTS DID

Journalists from the famous and unputdownable Volo's Guide Series [Tear off the coupon at the side of the page for 5% off your next amazing read!] upturned the Waterdeep underground when they delved below the sewers that lie below your very feet!

Stories of their heroic feats have spread across Waterdeep like wildfire. Articles abound! See page 5, 47 and the special supplement of interviews in next week's paper! Everyone who is anyone is up to date on all their antics!

The article continues like an online website intent on telling you the author's biography rather than the ingredients
Last edited June 17, 2022 9:04 pm
Jun 16, 2022 8:59 pm
OOC:
Very click-baity title. Volo approves.
Jun 17, 2022 3:19 am
"Yes, well, I was fond of this passage here..."
Fynnhorn_Leghorn says:
Truly, I was little more than an unprepared observer. It was my colleagues who displayed unbelievable courage and valor. The unlikely hero of the moment, however, was the young nobleman, Renaer Neverember. Left for dead by Xanathar's thugs, the young lad took up a sword and rose to the occasion, displaying might, cunning, stealth, and dashing good looks. With his luxurious long locks, chiseled face, and eyes that inspire...
Having bragged about imagined heroics for so long, Fynn is surprisingly uncomfortable bragging about real ones. And surprisingly enthusiastic toward the young noble who was probably just extremely lucky to not get himself killed in that sewer.

Volo

Adam

Jun 17, 2022 2:40 pm
"Great work on mentioning the nobles, Fynnhorn, dear boy. Never hurts to get in with nobility."

It's not exactly a secret that Volo dreams of becoming a lord one day - an event so improbable that only Vinnie could believe it. He doesn't seem to mind the trashing of The Flounder either. Meh. They were never going to pay for advertising anyway, and it gives Jodelle a veneer of impartiality.

"Active promotion of guides from Patience? Stirring words from Vinnie to straighten the backbone of every right-thinking Waterdhavian who buys the Wazoo? Perfect, dear boys, perfect!

And today's assignment?"
Volo opens his arms expansively.

"More please! Find news! Make news!

...but maybe drop in on the Sea Ward, and see if the Black Viper is sneaking into the Cassalanter place."
OOC:
Inspiration for anybody who doesn't have it.

After such an enthusiastic speech, it's disappointing to emerge from the door to find Waterdeep is as quiet as a rogue's mouse and as dead as zombie disco.

There's a seagull on the rooftop opposite. It might be asleep.

The northeast North Ward - could there be anywhere more staid and less newsworthy?

Now the Dock Ward, or Southern Ward? There was life! Or the Trades Ward, they knew how to...

BOOM!

Middle-class windows rattle as the roar of an explosion rolls across the North Ward. A thick black and orange cloud billows from beyond Horn Street. Trollskull Alley?

https://i.imgur.com/w1FZjZ4.jpg

Cry extra! Let slip the hounds of news!

Volo
Jun 17, 2022 6:36 pm
"Yikes!" Jodelle yelps as she literally jumps up. "Did you hear that? That was one loud banger. I feel a new story coming up. Shall we go see what it was?"

She's already making way to Horn Street.
Jun 18, 2022 7:02 am
"Look, smoke!" Patience points up ahead over the rooftops as they jog behind Jodelle. "Let's hope no-one is hurt"
Jun 18, 2022 11:44 am
"Do you really hope that though?" Vincent asks as he looks hurriedly through his papers "There! this is the one that predicted this event it's the Viper!"
Jun 18, 2022 2:41 pm
Startled out of their daydream by the sound of the explosion, Fynn hurries to follow the others.

The aftermath

Adam

Jun 21, 2022 5:21 am
Our heroes take off towards the danger. As you round the corner of Horn and Whaelgond, you see crowds and smoke billowing out of Saerdoun away from Trollskull Alley.

A patrol of watch officers clatters north along Whaelgond towards the explosion with clerics in tow, running as fast as their robes allow. Gryphon riders vector in from across the city and begin circling the blast.

Knowing that once the Watch arrives, the offices will begin shutting down the scene, our heroes push their way to the fray.

Trollskull alley is a mess. It's usually a mess, but not like this. Not like this.

Four scorched halflings lie dead against the wall - blown higgledy-piggledy by the concussive force of the blast.

There are the remains of a blackened and charred gnome who appears to have taken the worst of the explosion, and near the gnome are a dead pair of leather armoured humans wearing sheathed longswords and whose cloaks still burn.

A pair of human women jumble up with what used to be an elven man and bits of baskets - like some sort of a smashed puzzle; beyond them is an old woman so peppered with stony shrapnel that her death must have been instant.

Most have fled the alley now, and the wits have blasted out of those who remain.

A gentlewoman totters amongst the dead like a drunken hostess at a garden party.

A gang of six dwarven stonemasons stumble through the detritus. Their leather aprons in bloody shreds

An elven woman peers down into the street from the remains of a second-floor greenhouse, blood sheeting from her face across her white druidic robes.

A trio of young guttersnipes peek out from behind a rainwater barrel. One of them, a tiefling boy, clutches at his ears and moans loudly.

The aftermath
Jun 21, 2022 12:01 pm
"My goodness! What happened here,?" Patience gasps. "You there! Is there anyone still in danger?" He addresses the children.

Jenks

Adam

Jun 21, 2022 12:37 pm
One of the raggamuffins, a dark-skinned stocky lad, about nine years old, and carrying a filthy and scorched stuffed owlbear looks up at Patience.

His eyes are so wide that Patience can almost see into his brain trying to process the horror. He reaches into his waistband and pulls out a toy wand, which he shakily points at the mangled pile of dead halflings.

"I.. I... posit that the Lurien lutist and his most entertaining ensemble of harmonising hin have a pressing need for urgent medical assistance, saer."

The kid's as grungy as a half-orcish bard's armpits, but his crystal Common accent would make a Sea Ward elocution teacher beam in pride.

Still maintaining eye contact with the grown-up, the kid blinks hurriedly, perhaps trying to blink away reality because, unfortunately, Patience can see that those halflings he's pointing at are very very dead.

Jenks
Jun 21, 2022 2:33 pm
"If you were trying to kill me you coulda got the right target!" Vincent says looking at the mess of dead halflings.
Jun 22, 2022 6:45 pm
Jodelle gives the street a good view. He conclusion is that something has exploded.
But what. And more importantly: why and how?

Was someone actively blowing up stuff, or what someone messing around with the wrong kind of chemicals and magic.

"Has anyone seen what happened? I mean... at the moment of the explosion itself? What exploded? Where did it exactly explode? Anyone?" she asks, looking around at the various people, hoping someone will talk.

Rolls

Jodelle: Persuasion (not to sure what or if to roll anything, use if needed) - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Jun 23, 2022 7:44 am
"Ah... Uh... I'll give them a look over. Run along then kids, not a great place to be right now" Patience gives a half-hearted attempt at checking the musicians' pulses and breathing, though he knew it was pointless.

Gentlewoman

Adam

Jun 23, 2022 8:05 am
Cettish says:
"Has anyone seen what happened? I mean... at the moment of the explosion itself? What exploded? Where did it exactly explode? Anyone?" she asks, looking around at the various people, hoping someone will talk.
The stunned gentlewoman speaks, or though it's not clear whether she's replying to Jodelle or just speaking to herself.

"I tell you, it was not a man. More like a puppet shaped like a man. A puppet without strings. It was on the rooftop. It hurled something into the crowd below that caused the explosion.

I saw those halflings burned alive! I saw them!"

Gentlewoman

Squiddly

Adam

Jun 23, 2022 8:17 am
Boop says:
"Ah... Uh... I'll give them a look over. Run along then kids, not a great place to be right now" Patience gives a half-hearted attempt at checking the musicians' pulses and breathing, though he knew it was pointless.
The Turami boy nods earnestly but doesn't move. His tiefling urchin buddy removes his hands from his ears and whispers in the loud voice of the deafened.

"Did someone pick up the treasure, yeah?

I get we can get a couple or three lhargh* shards for that. Imma spend half mine on doxies, half on whores, half on wenches, and half on rotgut..."

He ticks the halves off on his fingers, and when he realises that he has one finger left adds..

"...and half on strumpets. With jam."

Strumpets seems to be the only word he thinks he knows and he's wrong about that too.
*Literally unsound rock, but used by the dwarves as a swearword. Every native Waterdhavian is a polyglot in swearing.

Squiddly
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.