Ch. 2: Rumblings

Jun 18, 2022 4:05 am
Goldenfields is a huge, walled temple-farm dedicated to Chauntea, the goddess of agriculture. Called "the Granary of the North," it's the only reason many Northerners ever taste soft-fleshed fruit larger than bush berries. Waterdeep and its neighbors consume the temple's reliable output: carefully husbanded grains and dried, oil-packed, or salted foodstuffs preserved in vast storage cellars, vats, and squat stone grain-towers.

Run by Abbot Ellardin Darovik, Goldenfields is a stronghold of the Emerald Enclave. Members of that faction are as welcome here as clergy of Chauntea; many of them stay for months at a time to help with the work and the vigilant defense of the farm against insects and blights, as well as would-be vandals and plunderers. Hired guards and adventurers patrol the walls and the land immediately around them. More than five thousand people live and work in Goldenfields year round, farming more than twenty square miles of tillage in gangs of hard-working gardeners.

The sprawling temple-farm is built on higher ground than the surrounding fields, and it's enclosed on all sides by a wall of mortared stone. The outer wall is 60 feet high (20 feet high inside the compound) and 30 feet wide. The wall is built out at several points, spaced at least a mile apart, with stone pagodas and barracks at those locations. These watch posts have unobstructed views of the surrounding countryside.

The outer wall is in need of repair in many places. Time and weather have eroded some of the mortar, creating ruts between the stones.

The entrance to Goldenfields is a large stone gatehouse set into the middle of the south wall. Beyond its gates, dirt roads crisscross the interior of the compound, providing passage between and through its fields and orchards. Roads also run along the inside of the wall, connecting the various watch posts. During the harvest season, wagons make their way between the fields, gathering food and grain and transporting it to cellars beneath the watch posts, where the food is kept under lock and key until caravans from Waterdeep and other settlements arrive to pick it up. In addition to the large grain fields, fruit orchards, and vegetable gardens, smaller gardens hug the outer walls. These gardens grow berries, rhubarb plants, and other such fare.

Most of Goldenfields' workers live in a small town situated near the abbey, where the abbot hosts morning, noon, and evening prayer. North of town is an enormous inn called Northfurrow's End. Visitors planning to spend the night in Goldenfields are directed here.
[ +- ] Goldenfields
Jun 18, 2022 5:49 am
The remaining time you had on the cloud tower is both awkward and boring. There are times you've heard the giant mention something about some wretched dragons.

Upon the approach you see the large town field far in the distance.

The sun is high in the sky as you depart
As the cloud slowly comes to a stop, hovering in the air. The stairs formulate and descend down to a road.

The Northfurrow trail is the road you land upon.

The Northfurrow trail ends before a magnificent stone gatehouse carved with images of a full-bodied woman (representations of Chauntea) cradling cornucopias. The gatehouse is a fortress in its own right. Above its tall, thick wooden doors are arrow slits that seem to peer down suspiciously on all visitors.
The gatehouse has an inner set and an outer set of double doors.

Upon approach of the gate you see many travelers and passer buyers and Merchants and other visitors who come seeking food are rarely turned away, but their wagons and belongings are thoroughly searched in the gatehouse to make sure they contain nothing that could damage crops, such as rodents and vermin. Guests who want to spend the night are directed to Northfurrow's End (area G8).

Along the walls you see see some heavy sunder damage and some large potholes and rocks about the wall. Some of the people are trying to mend it and roll away any large rock/boulders.
The guards at the gate casually talk about the last raid a few days ago and how it seems that they are increasing in volume and numbers.
OOC:
Your character, each of you has received a special nonplayer character with ties to the location where the adventure begins. Take a moment to review your NPC's personality traits and statistics. One of your goals in this part of the adventure is to keep your special NPC alive. For each of these NPCs that survives, your party will receive a special quest that yields a reward upon its successful completion. The details of these special quests won't be revealed until the end of this part of the adventure.

Shalvus Martholio is a Zhentarim spy-a wolf in sheep's clothing, as it were
an awakened tree named Lifferlas. [-- Gronx --]
an acolyte of the abbey, Zi Liang
The proprietor of the inn is an elder member of the Fellowship of Innkeepers guild of Waterdeep Miros Xelbrin
of Waterdeep city Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors Naxene Drathkala
A halfling singer and lute player named Oren Yogilvy

How the players run their NPCs during the battle is up to them, but encourage the players to review their NPCs' ideals, bonds, and flaws. All of these NPCs are familiar with Goldenfields' defenses and can run to get help, if that's what the players want them
Jun 18, 2022 8:32 pm
Kuro will walk up to the guards casually talking and simply inquire Good day to you all. Might I ask you what caused all this damage to your wall? Gesturing to where the repairs are being done
Jun 20, 2022 12:14 pm
While Kuro chats with the fuzz, Mors applied his discerning dwarven eye to the wall, trying to answer the same question.
[ +- ] stone cunning

Rolls

INT - stone inspection - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Jun 20, 2022 11:21 pm
Wat glides more often than walking, and will do so from the top of the cloud tower stairs, rather than walk down them, so instead of walking along the Northfurrow trail along with the others, he will keep position above (approximately 60 feet) and behind (about 30 feet behind) the group. He often checks along their backtrail, just in case something comes up (or down) from behind them, and he stays close enough to be able to warn his new friends.

As they approach the broken walls, he will technically stay outside the walls, and will stay alert for any archers looking his way. (He has noticed that many of the land bound folk do not appreciate aerial scouting. If he didn't have wings, he believes he would feel their same way, but he has wings so he doesn't.) He understands their apprehension, but still intends to see what he can before landing behind the group as they attempt to gain entry.

He will share his observations with Evrik, quietly. While Wat believes that Kuro and Gronk will not lightly eat him, he also believes in being safe now, and sorry later.

*Kaaaw* "These folk are cautious" *chirrp* "about their security." *squack* "They may have reason." *quack*
Jun 22, 2022 9:08 pm
"I've heard tell of a place similar to this," Evrik says to Wat as he tries to recall maps and information from the tomes he read back in the seminary. "The folks certainly are on guard. I wonder if this damage is all recent?" Evrik continues up the path with the others and pauses as Kuro questions the guard about the damage eager to offer help if needed.

Rolls

History - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jun 23, 2022 1:35 am
OOC:
I do like how everyone sees a damaged wall and is like "How can we help?" Kuro is just thinking "hey what did this and did you kill it? Continue you with your job" lol
Jun 23, 2022 1:23 pm
Mors isn't much of a conversationalist, he'll take whomever's left, and hope she's hot.
Last edited June 23, 2022 1:23 pm
Jun 24, 2022 5:06 am
Gronk enjoys the walk to the farming city taking in the building traffic both foot and wagon. His steady stare people watching lapping up the social interactions. After one witnessed energetic exchange between people he was sorely tempted to ask Kuro if it was acceptable to through horse dung at each other, but thought it better to leave that one for an appropriate situation.

Finally at the gates of the city Gronk found himself just steering at the high walls, with only one thought now in his mind. ‘I wonder if I’ll find a Warhammer here?’
Jun 28, 2022 1:22 pm
USGA_Elite says:
Kuro will walk up to the guards casually talking and simply inquire Good day to you all. Might I ask you what caused all this damage to your wall? Gesturing to where the repairs are being done
"Hail, " one of the unattended guards say. "Please state your business." he says no ignoring your inquiry but attempting to do his job first.

After staying what truth lie you muster. One of the guards begins to look you and your gear over. Not to confiscate any gear but.more.so to prevent any contaminates to the ecosystem. If your deemed "dirty" your asked to doff the equipment and either be washed or pay to become magiced clean.

"Yea, so about that. It's nothing 'new,' it happened a few three days ago maybe some goblins and maybe a giant trying to get in to get our food. "
With that mentioned you notice some heavy armored adventurer types patrolling about outside the wall.
Jun 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Skallagrimm says:
While Kuro chats with the fuzz, Mors applied his discerning dwarven eye to the wall, trying to answer the same question.
[ +- ] stone cunning
Your stonecunning suggests that the wall is indeed sturdy and must be thick to endure such craters without waiver. The holes seem to be about 4-7' in depth.
This constant wear will be the walls downfall if constant attacks were to happen in the same spot.
It would probably to take at good week of solid craftsmanship to repair the wall.

The damage does look recent. But not as recent as the guard says. You deduce that that attack may have happened elsewhere along the perimeter.
Jun 28, 2022 1:31 pm
Taillesswonder says:
Wat glides more often than walking, and will do so from the top of the cloud tower stairs, rather than walk down them, so instead of walking along the Northfurrow trail along with the others, he will keep position above (approximately 60 feet) and behind (about 30 feet behind) the group. He often checks along their backtrail, just in case something comes up (or down) from behind them, and he stays close enough to be able to warn his new friends.

As they approach the broken walls, he will technically stay outside the walls, and will stay alert for any archers looking his way. (He has noticed that many of the land bound folk do not appreciate aerial scouting. If he didn't have wings, he believes he would feel their same way, but he has wings so he doesn't.) He understands their apprehension, but still intends to see what he can before landing behind the group as they attempt to gain entry.

He will share his observations with Evrik, quietly. While Wat believes that Kuro and Gronk will not lightly eat him, he also believes in being safe now, and sorry later.

*Kaaaw* "These folk are cautious" *chirrp* "about their security." *squack* "They may have reason." *quack*
Yea you see many many! Armed persons along the thick/wide? parapet walkway. Many have taken interest in your appearance both in flying and attire. (Assuming you're still wearing the cult armor. Also with Evrik if the same).

In the guard gatehouses you see what may be many arrow slits in the upper bits of the gatehouse.

You also see many fields being tended by people's.
Jun 28, 2022 3:05 pm
Wat is indeed still wearing the cultist colors, as he doesn't have anything else and he doesn't feel like flying naked. Updating his wardrobe is high on his list of things to do. (Does he have any money?)
Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm
OOC:
doubtful. Pocket change at most?
Jun 28, 2022 5:24 pm
OOC:
doesn't feel like flying naked?!?!?!
If I could fly naked, you'd never see me again! well, every so often you would see WAY too much of me for a second, then I'd be gone again
Jun 28, 2022 7:17 pm
Skallagrimm says:
OOC:
doesn't feel like flying naked?!?!?!
If I could fly naked, you'd never see me again! well, every so often you would see WAY too much of me for a second, then I'd be gone again
OOC:
Lol!
Wat asks a bit more about the "maybe a giant" and the "maybe some goblins" the guard mentioned.

*Kaaaw* "Where does the giant come from" *Squak* " when he attacks your walls? Has anyone followed him" *triiiil* "back to his lair to find out where it is?" *Squeee*
Jun 28, 2022 9:59 pm
Gronk gives his best friendly smile at the guard, "My good man we need to deliver a letter, and maybe ssspeak with sssome in-charge on ssseeking thessse attackersss out." He considers using he newly sighted greeting giving a quick scan for some manure, but thinks this guard may not be of high enough standing for such manners. He therefore does his best to talk a friendly and open pose.
Jun 29, 2022 2:50 pm
OOC:
oops those weren't supposed to be maybes. It was supposed to be some goblins and maybe a giant.. oh well
Jun 29, 2022 9:09 pm
Evirk admires the stonework and slows to inspect it closer before noticing a lot of eyes on him. He looks down at himself. Oh yeah,, he thinks as he realizes he's still wearing the colors of the cult. "Forgive the dress," he says to the nearby guard. "My friend and I," he continues pointing up to Wat, "are not part of this outfit, we just needed some cover to help us get in to see the scholar." Evrik waves his arms at Gronk and the others. "These fine folk assisted us in dispatching those who would have meant harm to you here." He looks back at the guard as he walks up behind Gronk. "I offer what service I may if you will have it."
Jun 29, 2022 9:15 pm
OOC:
Not gonna lie I thought Gronk was bluffing it was in then remembered that is actually why we came lol
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.