Chapter 16 - X marks the Spot

load previous
Jun 21, 2022 8:59 pm
Logan smiles and thanks the sisters again before leaving. As he walks away, Logan looks at the birds and tries to find the nearest nurse.
Jun 22, 2022 7:47 am
Logan goes back inside. He walks along a windowed hallway, and sees sparrows landing on the sills outside the windows at his passage.

One of the nurses that admitted him in notices him.

Dave, SH nurse
"Back already? So, what do you think of our favorite twins? They're quite something, huh?"
Jun 22, 2022 7:48 am
OOC:
what's the plan in the Library? How do they go about creating the 'fake map' to divert the adversary?
Jun 22, 2022 11:58 am
OOC:
I don't think we'll draw on it in here. Too much risk of being discovered. After the shift
Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm
bowlofspinach says:
OOC:
I don't think we'll draw on it in here. Too much risk of being discovered. After the shift
OOC:
Agreed.
Jun 22, 2022 4:39 pm
Yeah, they're great. They helped me out a lot. Do you think you could help me out? I'm trying to find any pictures of, a former resident, Ramon. The twins were telling me about all of his adventures and it got me curious about him.
OOC:
Aa the nurse turns away to locate Ramon's items, Logan will check out the sparrows.

Dave, SH nurse

Dr_B

Jun 22, 2022 5:26 pm
Dave, SH nurse
He frowns. "Oh. Ramon again. There is quite a lot of interest about him, lately." He crosses his arms, adding "including... some unwanted interest. May I ask why you are so curious about him?"

Logan realizes the nurse is referring to the nighttime break-in into Ramon's room. That must have put everyone a little on edge.
Jun 22, 2022 5:45 pm
Sure, it's not a big deal. The sisters told me that Ramon was in the military, my dad was in the military. While my dad was in the Army, Ramon was in the Navy, but a soldier is a soldier. I was just curious about Ramon and the adventures he's been on.
OOC:
Logan's dad was in the military before his accident. I mentioned it during his background,
but that's about it.

Dave, SH nurse

Dr_B

Jun 22, 2022 6:40 pm
Dave, SH nurse
Dave looks at Logan for a moment, as if to assess him.

Eventually he unfolds his arms. "Hmm... I suppose looking at a photo of the poor guy can't do any harm... Look, Ramon's stuff has been packed away. Have a look in the communal hall, there are a lot of pictures of the residents framed on the walls. Can't remember if Ramon is in any of those, but he might."

He makes a gesture towards the main entrance and adds, "...but after that, be a good guy and leave, OK? You can come back to visit another time."
Jun 22, 2022 6:48 pm
OOC:
we will assume that Johnny has shown Logan his portrait of Ramon, at some stage
Logan enters the communal hall and sees that Dave wasn't kidding: a long wall at the back is covered with framed photographs of all sizes, mostly portraying groups of residents of Sunny Haven in joint activities, New Year celebrations, Thanksgiving, Bingo, etc.

There are A LOT of photos here.
OOC:
give me a Notice roll to find Ramon in these photographs. It will be at -1, trying to recognize a man you've only seen in a drawing in some group photo...
Jun 22, 2022 9:45 pm
Logan does his best to look for Ramon amongst all of the pictures. Taking his time, he does a riw by row search of the pictures.
OOC:
Logan's +2 to Notice gets dropped to +1 by the -1 penalty.

Rolls

Notice & Wild - (1d4+1, 1d6+1, RA)

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d6+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

Jun 22, 2022 10:07 pm
Ramon must have been camera-shy, in life, as Logan has to go through at least twenty framed photos before finding one of a resident that might be him. The photo is blurry and of a largish group sat around a meal, so he cannot tell much from it...

Frustrated, he carries his hunt until eventually he finds a comedic photograph of someone looking like Ramon with two other residents, dressed up as the Marx brothers. They are striking a pose around someone's desk, pretending to look at some important documents and holding a newspaper.
This photograph is sharper, and something in it catches Logan's eye...
[ +- ] ...
Jun 23, 2022 5:34 am
Logan looks at the tattoo with a keen interest. Looking around for a pencil and scrap of paper, he reverses the tattoo and jots its down. Folding the paper, Logan puts it in his pocket.

With nothing else keeping here, Logan leaves the nursing home and makes his way over to the library.
Jun 23, 2022 6:41 am
As he opens the front door of the Sunny Haven retirement home ready to throw Cody's skateboard on the path, Logan halts.
A dozen of large crows are waiting for him in the front yard, looking straight in his direction.

To get to the road, Logan has to cross a front yard (where the crows are), open the gate, then he will be on the open road.
The yard is deserted at present, only the ominous crows stand there, waiting...
Jun 23, 2022 6:58 am
Logan matches the stare of the birds with one of his own. Knowing he has only one way to leave the area, Logan takes a single step forward.

An idea forms in Logans mind and he decides to take a chance. Your boss wants me to find what's his. I can't do that if you mess with me. Let me be and we'll all be good.
OOC:
I'm not sure if a Persuasion roll is the right one. Let me know and I'll add one.
Jun 23, 2022 7:12 am
There is no reaction to Logan's words. The birds keep staring at him, not showing any sign of wanting to leave.
OOC:
he is dealing with birds at present, although there is a greater intelligence at work behind them. Persuasion would not apply here, they are after all, just animals
Jun 23, 2022 7:57 am
Hoping his words had some kind of unknown effect, Logan sets the skateboard down and stands on it. Kicking off with one of his feet, Logan heads towards the nursing home gate and then the road.
OOC:
Logan will, if he can, head straight to the library.
Jun 23, 2022 10:34 pm
The crows take flight at Logan's passage and let him cross the yard and get out of the gate, then...

...as soon as Logan is on the open road, they start a merciless attack, diving in relentlessly and hitting him with their beaks, wings and claws! More birds join the original dozen, until they are a large number!

https://i.imgur.com/dukzHzC.png
OOC:
For this attack we will be using the Swarm rules. The swarm hits automatically causing a little damage every round (2d4+1 for these guys). I will roll the first attack here.

Logan is 3 spaces away from the Library, skateboarding fast without glitch.

-If he uses his action to skateboard, roll Riding : a failure means he falls from the skateboard, and it will take 1 round to get up and start again, while under attack. A success advances Logan 1 space.

-He can use his action for something else - like attack them, etc. They are a tough target, constantly moving and dodging.

-At the first Wound suffered by Logan, the crows will have shredded his jeans and pockets and will steal all their contents.

-if he reaches the Library space, we'll consider him sheltering indoors.

Round 1
Logan
Library

-roll Riding (or take another action)

Rolls

crows attack, vs Logan's toughness 5 - (2d4+1, RA)

(32) + 1 = 6

Jun 23, 2022 10:35 pm
OOC:
the first attack goes over Logan's toughness. He is Shaken. Roll Spirit to see if he can act normally, then take his turn.
Jun 23, 2022 10:47 pm
OOC:
Spirit roll

I'll add a Benny to see if it helps.
Last edited June 23, 2022 10:47 pm

Rolls

Spirit. Wild - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (1) = 1

Spirit. Wild - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (2) = 2