Custom 5e Goblin race. what do you think?

Jun 29, 2016 1:52 am
Goblin

Very much seen as a nuisance, goblins, for the most part, are a fairly respectable race. Known for their ability to quickly create different things such as buildings and tools, they are sometimes sought after for quick repairs if materials needed for a full repair. The items tend to be able to be made due until proper repairs are made. Goblins live in a few different areas. Some in swamps, some in caves, and even in deserts.

Many goblin groups are known for working well with other races. For example, in the forest town of Bucksnort, druids and goblins work together to live in harmony. Many goblins are even sought after as diplomats.

Names Goblins have two name, as most folk do. However, they don't necessarily reflect their family lineage. That tends to be dont by a small branding. A goblin’s first name tends to come from a list of their tribes allowable first names. Two living goblins in the same tribe cannot share the same first name. So, when one dies, that name become available again. Male and female goblins have no decernible difference in their first names. Their last name tends to come from either their occupation or first item they ever repaired.
First Names: Wort, Bullart, Scrimsham, Dribbolt, Sibalt, Gillyoat.
Last Names: Axehead, Cartwheel, Leakyroof, Holeypants, Brokenarm, Squeakydoor, Tailor, Smithy, Scribe.

Ability Score Increase Your Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma increase by 1.

Alignment Most goblins tend to lean toward the Neutral side of the spectrum.

Size Most goblins average between 4 to 5 feet tall and weighing around 100 lbs. Your size is Medium.

Speed Your movement speed is 25 feet.

Darkvision You can see in the dark up to 60 feet. You can only see in greys, not in color.

Sneaky You have proficiency in Stealth.

Nimbleness You may Disengage as a bonus action.

Makeshifter You are proficient in Survival when trying to build a shelter, when trying to quickly fix something, and gathering supplies needed to do so.

Little Rider You have proficiency with Animal Handling when dealing with small animals no bigger than a large dog or a miniature pony.

Antagonize You know the vicious mockery cantrip at 1st level. Charisma is the base ability to cast.

I’m the Sneaky One! When an opportunity attack is made on you, you may react by giving disadvantage to their attack.
Jun 29, 2016 4:26 am
At first glance, it looks like there's a lot of good flavor here. However I feel like there's just far too many benefits for this to be comparable to the core races. I'd start to adjust by separating some of the later abilities into subraces instead of having all in one. Good luck with further design!
Jun 29, 2016 12:32 pm
It seems similar to the build that is on the D&D wiki.
Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm
Whoa, great minds think alike haha i do see some differences though
Jun 29, 2016 4:32 pm
For sure. I'm surprised how similar, actually. There is nothing official about the dandwiki of course, so the take of that contributor may have little or no reasoning, playtesting behind it, heh.
Jun 29, 2016 5:00 pm
My thoughts if this is meant to be a playable race:

* Having proficiency in Stealth, Survival, and Animal Handling seems like too much. Of these three, I think proficiency in Stealth alone would be enough. I understand that Survival and Animal Handling are restricted only to certain things, but see my next point.

* To reflect a goblin's resourcefulness, perhaps grant advantage on Survival instead of straight proficiency.

* Knowing Vicious Mockery seems overboard. My take on goblins does not skew towards the Charismatic, much less having an innate arcane talent.

* Speaking of Charisma, I don't see goblins as being that, nor hardy. Perhaps a +2 bonus to Dexterity is enough.

* Bonus action to Disengage, plus granting disadvantage on an opportunity attack, seem okay to me.

* On a flavor point, wouldn't goblins be inclined towards evil, at least on a selfish level?
Jun 29, 2016 6:15 pm
This world that I'm building is different from most worlds. Just like men, there are good and evil. Your friendly neighborhood old lady who bakes cookies for the local children versus the heartless bandits who attack. Goblins are more or less the same way, however, they tend to be shadowed by the negatives many know. Think of the Tiefling, they have a bonus to charisma not because people are in awe but because people are on edge sometimes intimidated.

Another idea to show this point of how my world differs from most is the relationship between human, elves, and dwarves. Dawrves and Elves get along fairly well. Reason being that they understand that, just like them, the other becomes one with the earth. The elves take giant trees and tie down giant limbs so after a while the tree grows that way to become walkways or something similar to a home.

Dwarvess don't just mine the earth, the become one with it, mixing stone bricks, carved stone, and the naturally formed stone to become more than just a cave, mine, or city. (They also made deals with Earth and Fire genasi [who are rivals] to allow the lava flowing through the rock to not only channel heat for forges and ovens, but through a highly durable glass that provides light to the area)
Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Oh i forgot to mention. In my world, goblins are a half breed of gnome and orc. I'm going to be posting different half races for my world to get a good idea of what would seem to work.

Also i would like feedback on this: From a modern standpoint, many people would probably be offended by playing a game where say Asians get +2 Int and +1 Dex or Russians get +2 Con and +1 Str. But I was thinking yesterday and I thought of the elder scrolls. Most of the races are human, it's where they came from that helped define their abilities. Would this be acceptable then with that sort of argument for creating human subraces?
Jun 29, 2016 7:59 pm
Yes indeed. Talkin about how in elder scrolls majority of the races are human, yet theyre separated by race and if that's acceptable in d&d

You do not have permission to post in this thread.