Nerdsplaining

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 22, 2022 7:48 pm
A place to chat about how things work... or could work in our
universe.

Warning: This may get off topic or include 'bad science'.
Jun 24, 2022 7:19 am
vagueGM says:
(in TrailHead's char creation) there are athletic situations where logic would say the Skill should apply, but not being 'trained' should not apply a -3 penalty to most of them (surely STR, DEX, and END already cover 'fitness')
Could you give an example of this?
I envision it as; You can be in good shape, but still suck at long distance jumping or the monkey bars.
Jun 24, 2022 11:44 am
TheGenerator says:
... You can be in good shape, but still suck at long distance jumping or the monkey bars.
Yes, those examples are specific enough that they would call for Athletics to be included. As might a hard forced march and such things, but I foresee problems with other times STR or DEX or END are being applied which imply athletic endeavours but the character should not be penalised for not having it at 0, but might also want to add any pluses they have.

It looks like it may be too indeterminately defined and too widely applicable. I have not run this game before, and this may be a non-issue, it just came to mind during that discussion. We can see how it goes.
Jun 24, 2022 11:51 am
Hmm, I'm afraid I still don't see what you mean exactly. I guess we'll deal with it when it comes up :)
Jun 24, 2022 11:55 am
I just searched to book for what disturbed me, the thing that made this stick in my mind is on page 74, where they mention throwing a Grenade would use Athletics, I can see that being possible, but it caused worry.
Jun 24, 2022 12:46 pm
Hmm. I guess it emulates your hand-eye-coordination skill in that case. A ballet dancer and a rugby player could be on the same level dex/str/end-wise but if you want to hit a target with a granade I think the rugby player has a big advantage there.
Maybe that's what they mean?
You still add your dex to it too, right? 2d6+stat DM+skill

You do not have permission to post in this thread.