Emoji on posts?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 22, 2022 9:26 pm
I wonder are we planning on do something similar to discord where you can interact with other post by add emoji badge on there post
Like this https://i.imgur.com/Oj32kIx.jpg
Jun 24, 2022 2:22 pm
huttyman says:
I wonder are we planning on do something similar to discord where you can interact with other post by add emoji badge on there post
Like this https://i.imgur.com/Oj32kIx.jpg
People have talked about this as well as having OOC on the reverse of posts (I believe Tavern Keeper does this).

There wasn't much interest in it.
Jun 24, 2022 3:30 pm
Sweet, sweet OOC flip tiles...
https://i.imgur.com/0gZFDBI.png
Jun 24, 2022 6:32 pm
Adam says:

There wasn't much interest in it.
I'm not sure where the discussion about this was previously, but my memory was that these were really popular ideas (for both reactions and ooc linked to ic posts, either by flipcard or underneath like stack overflow) but they were thought to be major changes instead of small additional features, so would have to wait for GP.v2. I would love if it could be implemented in v1, but I understand if it's too big a change for v1.
Jun 24, 2022 6:40 pm
Found it.
Adam says:
Antiproduct says:
There was a suggestion for such a feature before, but it either got lost in clutter or wasn't commented on. I think it's a good idea.
It wasn't lost and I've heard a number of people express an interest in this feature. It's also pretty easy to implement. So why hasn't it been added?

Despite me never having used this feature, nor seen it, nor heard bad things about it, nor spending any time considering its virtues, I've decided I don't like it. It's like I've discovered a special mix of prejudice, ignorance and obstinacy.
It turns out that it's my complete lack of enthusiasm for the feature.

Maybe I should play on Tavern Keeper for a bit and find out what I'm missing.
Jun 24, 2022 7:11 pm
You'd be missing me for starters.
Jun 24, 2022 10:55 pm
As someone who started PbP on Tavern-keeper, the flip card was easily my favorite feature. It helps keep comments localized to the post they're about. It would honestly be my most requested feature for GP.
Jun 24, 2022 11:44 pm
What's a flip card?
Jun 24, 2022 11:53 pm
So here's a typical in-character post from TK:
https://i.imgur.com/2txbiee.png

See the (4) at the lower right? That means there are four OOC comments on the "other side" of the card. If you click the number, the post / card shows a flipping / turning animation, and you see, and can add to a thread of OOC comments tied to just this one OC post.

So for the above post, that side looks like...
https://i.imgur.com/Z0lSexX.png

Apologies and thanks to @Ciriaco for my using his post as an example...
Jun 25, 2022 12:23 am
Now that I ate breakfast and have some brain juice, I can thinking of other great perks of flip cards. Some benefits are that it almost entirely eliminates the need for a separate ooc thread, it keeps the rp thread much cleaner by hiding ooc comments on the reverse of the card, and eliminates needing to link to a post being referenced since comments are on the post itself. It really has so many useful benefits.
Last edited June 25, 2022 12:24 am
Jun 25, 2022 1:03 am
Sounds terrific.
Jun 25, 2022 4:16 am
How would notifications for those work? Because the only thing I can think of is that it would look like new post notifications for the IC thread and I'd get annoyed if I kept getting those only for it to turn out to be OOC instead. That's what a separate OOC is good for
Jun 25, 2022 4:21 am
I know flip card stuff can be hard. I'm not sure just emoji as badge is easier.

If yes, let me sell you my thought. I think being able to emote other PC post (and know who did it) actually help more engage since we know who is reading already. sometimes I think I might need to wait someone's turn first but if I saw they emoting already. I know they do not intend to post after that. And also it's cool to throw some joke and see someone's response (I know even though they gonna react to every post anyway)

And you know because it's a badge. no need for notification at all

But as far as all function here. I'm in love with it already. to have or not have only make me enjoy more not less
Last edited June 25, 2022 4:37 am
Jun 25, 2022 5:28 am
bowlofspinach says:
How would notifications for those work? ... That's what a separate OOC is good for
The other thing a distinct OOC thread is good for is keeping these post together. On the other site any OOC discussion that ends up being more than a post or two gets very hard to follow and keep track of, especially when it starts to involve more than one RP post.

It would be nice to easily link the OOC with the RP post, but I would still want to treat them as an OOC thread, keeping them together, making them easy to reference late, and managing notifications on that thread as we already do now.
Jun 25, 2022 5:29 am
In my experience, a game would still need a good OOC thread -- think about all the various comments that are not about the action in the moment. It would hide the blue OOC text on the "back," and people could respond -- each post is like a mini subforum.
Jun 25, 2022 5:33 am
Yea, I remember I argued against the flipcard thing last time it was brought up. I'm not that against it anymore now. I see the use and I see cases where it would be great. For quick "Please add a roll here" type messages for example.

But I do prefer OOC threads for actual OOC discussions and off-topic talk. And again, I'm not sure how notifications would work 🤔

Reacts to posts are neat, I think. I've been advocating for some kind of "read" token for a while and react emojis could be used for that pretty easily
Jun 25, 2022 6:07 am
bowlofspinach says:
Yea, I remember I argued against the flipcard thing last time it was brought up. I'm not that against it anymore now. I see the use and I see cases where it would be great. For quick "Please add a roll here" type messages for example.
This is one of the main use cases -- avoiding a string of back and forth OOC messages. For notifications, I don't know why it couldn't take you to the post in question and highlight that there's a mention in the OOC flip, or just land right on the OOC message itself. There might even be a way to "slide out" the OOC, so you see post the IC post and the little thread of OOC comments at the same time.

This sounds like a lot of work -- I'd love it, but hope Adam, Keleth and anyone else involved know there's no real expectation for thing kind of thing.
Jun 25, 2022 6:20 am
I mostly mean when I'm on my forum page. If someone leaves an OOC comment on the back of a post three posts back, what do I see? Does it look like someone made a new post? I figure it linking me to the OOC if I hit the icon wouldn't be a problem, but it should be visually different so people can tell whether it's an OOC or an actual post.
And what happens if one person OOC comments on an older post and another makes a new post. How does that look? Where do I get linked if I click on the thread? Does it erase both notifications to look at one? I'm sure there's a good way to do it but I don't know right now how it would best work. I have no idea how tavernkeeper works and does this.
Jun 25, 2022 10:42 am
Harrigan says:
In my experience, a game would still need a good OOC thread -- think about all the various comments that are not about the action in the moment. It would hide the blue OOC text on the "back," and people could respond -- each post is like a mini subforum.
Sure, my point wasn't to eliminate OOC threads entirely. Flip cards would just segregate comments about one specific post with more general OOC comments.

As for notifications, that's beyond my knowledge of coding lol. What you could have is a new icon next to a post that shows up when there's a new ooc comment similar to unread posts.
Jun 26, 2022 12:23 am
Fwiw, if a greater chorus of voices is needed to overcome anyone's lack of enthusiasm for the feature, I love it - either flip cards or emoji/react badges would only benefit GP.

One of the hardest TTRPG elements to emulate from the table is quick reactions and body language, like laughs and looks of surprise. Emoji/react badges are a step towards doing just that.
Last edited June 26, 2022 12:23 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.