Ask Me Anything: Falconloft

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jul 2, 2022 2:53 am
You've done some amazing game design work. Your Void Age Sci Fi hack was aesthetically a beauty to behold,l. You recently shared a Noir hack with me.

What other polished game books/hacks have you made?
Jul 6, 2022 2:14 pm
@Phil_Ozzy_Fer

Questionable business decisions. That explains the 4e era so well. They pushed computer aids when they weren't ready, got people hooked on them and then pulled them away. It was no wonder they didn't make money like they thought they were going to.

My borrowing comes primarily from books and movies. I can't really give you an exhaustive list, but a couple authors I pull from a lot are Russell Kirkpatrick, Brandon Sanderson (who also has very good writing tools that double as prep guidance), and Eric Van Lustbader. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine exactly what I pull from where so as not to spoil things for players.

I will also often pull plot points from anime, though not the plots themselves. Anime has a lot of good twists and turns; they just get lost behind the exponential power creep in a lot of shows.
Jul 6, 2022 2:48 pm
@bowlofspinach

There is a game back from 1996 or so called Asylum. This is the blurb on the back of the book:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/742996989431775295/994246742163869767/IMG_20220706_092056.jpg?width=554&height=671

It seems like a setting with a lot of possibilities but at the same time, I can't for the life of me think what an adventure would be there. Plus, I'm pretty sure that it's wildly outmoded in the way it handles mental illness now, even if it is caused by spaceborne spores.

Beyond that, going through my pdfs...
-- Overlight seems like a really cool setting, but the system is unwieldy and I don't have time to learn to run it.
-- Legend (not to be confused with Legend or Legend) is a d20 based system with a pretty cool system of building classes from pieces, but it was never finished and is still really rough. I've run it for about 2 hours but it wasn't enough.
-- Sword Chronicle (the base system for the GoT rpg with the long name that I never get in the right order) lets you play members of a house and is full of political intrigue. I have the feeling you'd like that one, but it might be too clunky in places.
-- Symbaroum was on my list, but I'm playing that one finally!
-- Would like to play the new BESM as well.

I haven't been impressed with a lot of the stuff in the last couple years; it seems like they're just trying to make new systems just so they don't use d20, and not all of them are intuitive and a few of them are even skewed sideways probability-wise.

There is one more that comes to mind, a little 24-hour RPG contest system called The Verge. I've lost the page for it, but if I ever find it again, I'd like to play it or run it either way. Maybe not on PbP though - the Harrigan Quotient is too high.
Jul 6, 2022 3:14 pm
@BedzoneII

There's really only two that come to mind, PbtA and 13th Age - both for different reasons....

13th Age excels at collaboration in world building. From the outset, the world is full of holes and the GM isn't supposed to fill all of them. First of all, every player has One Unique Thing (OUT). We're not talking special snowflake Dragonball Z levels of unique. Just something that is true for them that isn't true of anyone else in the story. 13th Age is set in the Dragon Empire. That means there's a Dragon Emperor. But that's as far as the book takes it. Holes, remember? So I could give my character an OUT of, "He looks exactly like the Emeror's son," and now I've just created the fact that the Emperor had a son. He didn't before.

Also, the players are encouraged to build the world by way of fact or rumour. The first Organized Play module includes this:

Ask the players around the table if their characters have been to Roachdale and if so what it is like. Start with anybody who has an obviously linked Unique or Background and say to them, "Your character has heard of Roachdale. Maybe they’ve even been there. Tell me about it."

Make a quick note of their answer and incorporate it into the adventure. If they say that Roachdale is a flying island then a skill check might involve climbing an anchor chain up to the island, if they say Roachdale is guarded by a fierce dragon then a skill check might involve timing sneaking into the place while the dragon is away hunting.

Beyond that, every character has relationships with the major icons of the setting. These icons aren't there to fight, anymore than a signature location would be there to fight. They're part of the setting in other words. What would the Dragon Empire be without a Dragon Emperor? Probably not that. The Emperor might change, and the new one might not be as good (or competent, etc.) as the old one, but there is one. And so your character relates to all of them in various ways. Maybe I'm a rogue and I love the Prince of Shadows because he pulls off jobs I can't. Or maybe I hate him for the same reason. Or maybe he hates me because I pulled off a job a day earlier than he was going to. At any rate, I get to roll dice whenever he's relevant - or whenever the GM doesn't have anything planned for the next bit, and the story can change based on what I roll.

PbtA on the other hand is good because with a group of players that knows the system, the GM does not have to do much more than set a scene. Take a simple example of combat (I'm using DungeonWorld here even though it's not perfect, because it's the one with an easily accessible SRD.

The typical system...
... determines initiative that the GM has to track.
... has set types of actions that the GM has to pay attention to and adjudicate when there's a problem
... come up with something on the fly when there's an off the wall idea.
... determines the outcome of combat rolls. (attack vs defense, for instance)

PbtA on the other hand...
... has players act when they act.
... has moves that are activated under specific pre-determined circumstances.
... has a fallback move for everything else.
... has players decide the outcome of rolls. (every roll is self-contained with pre-listed possibilities)

So in a small combat of a player vs a goblin, let's say, the player sees the goblin and gets the drop on him. That's it, sometimes, no rolls needed. An attack roll is only made when the target can defend themselves. But okay, lets say the goblin sees him too. So he rolls to attack. Well, he shoots an arrow at him. He's just activated Volley, which says, "When you take aim and shoot at an enemy at range, roll+Dex." Wow, a 12. I don't need to wait to see if that hits, because my move tells me it does. "On a 10+, you have a clear shot—deal your damage." All I need the GM to do is to tell me if it's still alive. And if the GM has provided me with player-facing stats, I know that too. If he's still alive, and I know what I want to do next, I just do it. Monsters move when I screw up or when I don't know what to do.

GMs move when...
... everybody looks at you to find out what happens.
... the players give you a golden opportunity.
... they roll a 6-.
Last edited July 6, 2022 3:18 pm

Rolls

Dex! - (2d6+1)

(65) + 1 = 12

Jul 6, 2022 3:18 pm
Quote:
"He looks exactly like the Emeror's son"
I'm pretty sure there's at least one other person in the setting who looks just like the emperor's son 😄
Jul 6, 2022 3:57 pm
@Qralloq

Thank you! I feel like if I'm going to expect players to work at learning a new thing I should work at making it a pleasant experience. Unfortunately the experience varies, but here's a few I've got that I've used on GP or plan to use, or both.

-- In the Ashes of the Iron Empire is a hack of a very barebones system that was made as a bit of a joke. I think Dramasailor showed it to me. I wanted a bit more structure, and this happened.
-- Rebirth is a Cortex... not really hack, because it's designed for you to pick pieces of to use, but... presentation, I guess? It's for superheroes.
-- MtG: the RPG is an attempt to make an RPG out of MtG cards. It works, mostly. Haven't run it much. @bowlofspinach: This should be added to the list up there.
-- Fractured Spaces is a (subtle) Cypher hack. I just flipped the checks to work more like a group of players was used to. @bowlofspinach: I'd play this again too.
Last edited July 6, 2022 3:57 pm
Jul 6, 2022 3:59 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
"He looks exactly like the Emeror's son"
I'm pretty sure there's at least one other person in the setting who looks just like the emperor's son 😄
Does it count if he is the Emperor's Son? Or does he look just like the guy who looks like him?
Jul 6, 2022 4:01 pm
I'd love to get into a chat about the merits and demerits of PbtA and 13th Age with you sometime! But let's not spam this chat for that purpose.
Jul 6, 2022 4:09 pm
@bowlofspinach

I didn't answer the other half of your question, sorry!

I have played a few card games, MtG and L5R were my big ones until they got too expensive and suffered from massive power creep or got retconned into oblivion, respectively. I also played a few smaller ones (Spycraft, 7th Sea, Star Trek) but the lack of players killed them all. More recently, my wife and I have been playing WeissSchwarz. But now she knows of the existence of the My Hero Academia CCG, so I have a feeling we'll be playing that one.

I also like the CCG-adjacent deck-building games like DC's rather imaginatively named DC Deck-Building Game. It runs sort of like a draft environment.
Jul 6, 2022 4:09 pm
BedzoneII says:
I'd love to get into a chat about the merits and demerits of PbtA and 13th Age with you sometime! But let's not spam this chat for that purpose.
We can spam the discord channels. No one will mind. >__>
Jul 6, 2022 4:14 pm
@qralloq

Forgot one. I'm prepping to run this now, although I got slowed down by stupidity this week.

At the Edge of the World

I'm particularly fond of this one. Went back to find the original fonts for D&D 2e to give it an old-style feel. It's bigger because of the art headers and footers. I tried to shrink it but that's as far as it would go.
Jul 7, 2022 7:51 pm
Sneaking a few in before the thread ends.

-How did you get into PbP gaming?
-Do you do any in-person gaming?
-What four RPG books would you take with you if you could only have them for the rest of your life?
-Do you play any instruments, have you been in a band, what was its name, what was the name of your favorite song to play?
-In four square what is your record for rounds as king?
Jul 8, 2022 10:48 pm
Also adding a few more
Any good books/documentaries/YouTube channels that can help begginers learn music theory?
And great hidden gem albums you've discovered due studyimg music?
What do movies and TV get wrong about your job/career
Jul 11, 2022 5:07 pm
I didn't notice those two come in but I guess I should answer them...

@Zagrave:
- Maps, mostly. I've always loved maps, and I got to draw them if I was GMing.
- No in-person gaming at the moment. Last meatspace game was with my kid who played a superspy who defeated an evil mastermind's plan by subverting his attack dog with beef jerky. It was certainly not the worst game I've ever played.
- 13th Age, Spycraft (so I could convert it to 13th Age), Cypher System Rulebook, and Cortex Prime
- I play the piano. I have not been in a band. My favorite song to play is Empty Chairs at Empty Tables from Les Miserables.
- 27. Also, you'd be surprised how many foursquare areas are set up wrong (1,2,3,4 in a circle instead of 1 and 4 being diagonal).

@crazybirdman
- Here's a few resources that are pretty decent (ymmv since everyone learns differently)
--- https://www.tonegym.co/site/school is a really quick primer that you'll probably get a lot out of.
--- http://openmusictheory.com/ is very good as well, bit more in depth.
--- https://www.youtube.com/c/andrewhuang is a guy who explains a lot of interesting pieces. Doesn't always connect them up, but it's simple to follow. There's a LOT of music theory stuff on youtube though, and all of it is good. (Music theory is a weird name for it because it's not really theoretical. Math is math is math.
--- Bonus video that isn't really trying to explain why music theory is good, but does anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM
- Some of my favorite songs that are off the beaten path (not all are the result of studying music theory, but they were solidified on my list of favorites because of it):
--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A - If you don't get chills at least once I'd be very surprised.
--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M57Fi19vcSI - We missed a LOT of good music because he became an actor.
--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhdFe3evXpk - This was written about lost soldiers, and has one of the best uses of applied music theory I think I've ever seen (imo). The song never comes back to the tonic after the first note, just as lost soldiers never return home.
--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDIoMgo2Ys - Competing lines are always good.
--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N61QJ2CCYQE - chord progression isn't really out of left field, but the melody does things it 'shouldn't' with the chords.
--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxfl8LRab_I - modal mixing~
Jul 12, 2022 12:25 am
Wow, thanks! This is gonna greatly drop my productivity

You do not have permission to post in this thread.