*Picks up a pencil*

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 12, 2022 7:59 pm
Hello everyone!

I’m Pencil, a name I chose mostly because I thought there was no way it was not yet taken on this forum, but that has since grown on me, thankfully! I’m in my 30s, and have had a little experience with tabletop D&D and roleplaying forums, although that was quite a few years ago now. It seemed like PBP RPGs might be a good way to dabble in RPGs again in a thoughtful and relatively low-stress way, so here I am!

I’m interested in starting out with 5e games, but from browsing a few games and admiring the tools available here (dice rolls embedded in forum posts!), it feels a little daunting to apply for a game as a pretty much completely inexperienced player. I’m wondering if there are any tutorial games, or games meant for players completely new to PBP, still open? Apologies if this is something I should know — I saw someone mention a tutorial a few threads ago but couldn’t find information about it in the games list or the tavern.

Thanks, everyone!

*Pencil picks up his pencil and signs "Pencil".*
Last edited July 12, 2022 8:04 pm
Jul 12, 2022 8:04 pm
Welcome, Pencil!

Don't feel intimidated by the site. The people here are really nice and I'm sure whatever GM and players you end up with for your first game will be patient and gladly explain things to you.
I used to run a tutorial for a while on here but I've stopped, both because I got a bit burned out and because with all the updates, the tutorial became a bit outdated. If you'd really like a quick 1-on-1 game to get acquainted with the site, I might be convinced to run something small and quick for you, though. It wouldn't be 5e, however.

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Jul 12, 2022 8:51 pm
Hello, Pencil! Hopefully we can find someone named "Paper" and we can match you two up.
Jul 12, 2022 8:51 pm
Welcome Aboard!
Jul 12, 2022 8:59 pm
Welcome, Pencil! Glad to see your enthusiasm for the prospect of PBP. In many ways, it's a better RP experience -- not all ways, the social side of meeting your friends at the table is diminished, of course -- but many.
Jul 12, 2022 8:59 pm
You never have enough Pencils. Welcome!
Jul 12, 2022 9:23 pm
Welcome to GP!
Jul 12, 2022 9:26 pm
Hello and welcome!
Jul 12, 2022 9:57 pm
Welcome!
Jul 12, 2022 11:08 pm
Welcome to GP!
Jul 13, 2022 1:56 am
Thanks for the very warm welcome, everyone!

bowlofspinach: No worries, and thanks for all the guides you linked! I’ll probably just lurk for some time reading those guides and peeking nervously at public games before some day applying to join one haha

Phil_Ozzy_Fer: That is making me deeply regret not choosing the name "Pen". Alas, live and learn, etc.
Jul 13, 2022 3:38 am
Welcome to the community, Pencil! Good luck getting signed up to something soon!

Len

Jul 13, 2022 4:00 am
Welcome to the community!
Jul 13, 2022 6:28 am
welcome
Jul 13, 2022 12:13 pm
Welcome to GP, Pencil.
Jul 13, 2022 10:20 pm
Greetings and Salutations!
Jul 14, 2022 4:19 am
Inikwani dehina met’ahi, Pencil!!!!!!!!
Jul 15, 2022 2:09 am
Welcome to the community, @Pencil!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.