8. Easthaven

Easthaven

Adam

Jul 19, 2022 8:33 am
Nightal 23rd ~ Easthaven

In the dim morning light, your sleds make their way through the sprawling Easthaven. The edge of Easthaven is almost a shanty town, with shacks that perform double duty as makeshift taverns, brothels, trading posts, and pawn shops. It feels like a southern town that discovered silver before it found law.

The sprawl evolves into a street. Down an alleyway, heavyset fur-bound people bet on a fight between two shivering urchins. Their excitement and bloodlust only pause long enough to watch you pass. Their glances weigh your possessions, total the value, subtract the hassle, draw a line under the potential loss, and let you by without hustle.

The town hall marks the end of the Eastway. It's a two-story, wattle-and-daub building with candlelight escaping the shutters. The flag of Easthaven flutters atop a cupola on the Town Hall's steeply pitched rooftop. Cold dark ashes now stain the ground around the thick chain-festooned pole where you last saw the burning wizard.

Easthaven
Jul 19, 2022 3:23 pm
OOC:
I don't think Zin would say this, but I want so badly to say it "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious"
Jul 19, 2022 5:36 pm
"I would know what the arcanist did to deserve his fate. I have little interest in the politics of a ferry," Anders snaps. He had been in a foul mood the entire ride to Easthaven, and it seemed the city limits did nothing to temper his attitude. The wolf* moves to the pole and begins sniffing at the ashes.

*Not actually a wolf, but a hybrid of many creatures
Jul 19, 2022 5:37 pm
The promise of a full day beckons us. I suggest we locate the White Lady Inn. I was assured by Odessa that our mounts and equipment may be securely stabled there. Remember that thievery in itself is not a crime so I would hate to entice any Easthavener to try. I would not turn a friendly eye toward one who would try to separate me from my dogs Speaking in a high pitch voice, That's right, my babies. No one takes my heart.

After consulting the map that Odessa had provided, the party traveled the broad street that was slightly wider than two passing wagons but only by size was there any stately grandeur. A morass of muck characterized the street where heavy traffic had melted snow leaving ruts of mud amongst animal waste. One of the men pointed out the carved wooden sign of a blonde with tresses down to her waist dressed in a white gown holding out a lantern of welcome. After hailing the gatekeeper, the party entered a courtyard where a stable boy rushed forward to take the mounts. I will secure rooms for all of us for the night. If any have their own agenda, we can meet back tonight if need be. I have business to attend at the general store plus need to visit the Speaker at town hall. I would appreciate all of your company but may need to lean on the expertise of Okto and Anders as sailors to get the ferry operational again. We can certainly inquire about the circumstances that surrounded that mage.
Last edited July 19, 2022 5:40 pm
Jul 20, 2022 2:52 am
OOC:
Sorry for the length of this, everyone. It just kind of flowed…

As the group moved closer to Easthaven, Zinvaris slowly dropped through the file until he followed at the rear. As they entered the town, space seemed to increase as Nippers almost seemed to be moving through molasses. Zin’s face showed a mask of worry. As the group entered the square, Zin’s gaze seemed to be fixed on someplace to the west his brow drawn down. At Bells suggestion of other things to take care of, Zin says in almost a mumble Yes… I have something I need to do. Zin left Nippers with the stable hand and then made his way off into the gloom.
A human woman walked holding a basket of spoiled vegetables and stale bread collected from other people’s garbage. Her face was covered in soot and dirt from her arduous tasks. As she made her way to her hovel, she blew a great sigh. Her house was a few weak posts barely holding up a badly bowed roof. The thatch was torn and spotty and the only reason the structure stood at all was due to its lean onto the neighboring house. As the woman approached the doorway of loose cloth, the shadows seemed to coalesce Maise… The woman gasped, dropping her basket of old food and looked as Zinvaris stared at her with a face of dread. Maise stood frozen, half reaching for her basket as she scrutinized the elf before her. Ere now… whoer y… Maise went quiet as Zin lifted a hand to cover his lower face, shock, fear and panic washed over her face …tha …tha… masked one… a look of resignation settled on her face as Maise stood up and set her chin …ur ere fer me? Zinvaris shook his head as he said in a flat voice Not in that way… Maise looked at Zin, curiosity and trepidation playing out on her face. Finally, she nodded, stooped to pick up her basket and gathered food and quickly entered the house. Zinvaris followed, dreading what he was about to do.

The house was as ramshackle on the inside as it had been on the outside. Splintered wood tables and chairs that seemed completely coated in moss and algae were scattered about the one room with two piles of blankets in one corner where Zin knew Maise slept with her son Elias. Maise sat in a rickety moss covered chair and motioned to another across the rotting table. At Zin’s hesitation, Maise snorted and said is the best I’s got… Zin took the chair, gently lowering his weight until sure it would hold him. Maise stared at the wood elf for a long while. Zin returned the stare with his own determined expression. Finally Maise broke the silence, Mask… they’s been sayin you ne’er put no one to the blade what’s not got it comin. Well, I knows some folks that surein are deservin… If you would, all’s I have is urs… Zin seemed wounded at the statement and didn’t respond. Maise continues, yisee… Mr Mask… there’s them what killed my man Efrum and left me in this state… Maise gestured to the hovel. Zin slowly shook his head, Maise… I’m not here for work… At his statement, Maise bristled and drew her wrap tighter around her. I’s ain’t no lady friend, if that’s your mind… Zin shook his head, No, Maise… where’s Elias? Maise sniffed as she puffed up with some pride E’s bin running messages fer… er, he’s a courier… wait’s a minute, how you know me boy? A look of suspicion colored Maise’s face. Zin let the silence hang before pulling out a pouch of gold and placing it on the table. Maise looked at the pouch with hunger in her eyes, an unconscious licking of her lips. Wats that? That… Maise, is for you and Elias to make a new start. Good Mead has a new speaker. One who looks out for the broken and downtrodden. You could find a place there for you, for Elias… The sparkles of fantasy danced across Maise’s eyes as she thought about what was being offered. Then a cold, shrewd expression rested on the woman’s face as she asked, Why’d you be doin this Mr. Mask? Zin puffed a sigh before responding, Because, Maise. I am the one who killed Efrum.

The woman stared at Zin as anger boiled through her features. Suddenly her anger overpowered her fears and Maise lept to her feet lashing out with fists and feet at Zin. Zin let the blows hit until the bereaved woman landed a square hit on his jaw. Reflexively, Zin reached up to catch the woman’s wrists standing and holding her firm, Why? Why’d you take ma Efrum, Mask she spluttered through sobbing. He was a monster, Maise He wasn! Ma Efrum was a… He hurt you Maise, he hurt Elias and he stole a lot of money from a lot of people You cant be knowin he hurt… I KNOW Maise… no one fell to my blade without me being sure At that statement, Zin released the woman and she crumpled to the floor sobbing. Zin started to say Take the money, Maise. Start a new life in Good… Maise swiped the pouch off the table and coins went spilling throughout the detritus of the hovel. I don’t WANT ur money, Mask. I don’t want ur sympathy. I don’t want nuttin from you… Maise said the words with such hatred, such venom that Zin was taken aback. He stared at her for a long moment with pain in his eyes. …Please…Elias… Maise fixed the scarred elf with an expression of utter hatred and pointed to the door. Zin turned and passed the fabric door hanging.

In the shadows, he started to run through alleyways making a slow route back to the inn. Tears streaked his face as he felt his heart breaking for the victims of his misguided judgment. He hoped Maise would reconsider… he hoped someday he might feel reconciled to the true horrors he had committed on his dark path. Mielikki guide me… every dusk is followed by dawn.

Roberta Justbob

Adam

Jul 20, 2022 4:11 pm
Standing guard outside Rob Justbob's general store is an orc outfitted in a black tuxedo, edged with red piping and with shoulder pads so thick they could almost be pauldrons. He opens the door for you with a grunted 'miss'.

The left-hand side of the store is like Good Mead's - small sacks of meal, tinder, flints, coils of rope, balls of twine, with blubber, fish and meat on ice.

The right-hand side is cordoned off, beyond which mannequins display overly-elaborate garish fashions, gold-coloured stands display scrimshaw ornaments painted in bright primary colours, and the harnesses! Ornate and impractical sled harnesses scream for attention in gloss black, arterial red, and shiny brass. On each item, the designer's name is picked out in large bold letters. It's as if a particularly tasteless peacock stocked the right-hand side.

A snazzily dressed goblin wearing a monocle coughs discretely from behind the counter.

"Perhaps miss is interested in the wide-brimmed hat? Very now. Very à la mode. Very modern. Very modish."

If she feels embarrassed about saying the same thing four times, then she doesn't show it.

"It makes a statement. Especially if you leave the price tag on it."

Roberta Justbob
Jul 20, 2022 5:44 pm
To some, color might be garish but to Bells, the world's palette extended far beyond neutral colors and should be liberally applied. I would very much like to shop this side of the store, the bard announced as she waited for the cord to be removed before her eyes and often her hands skimmed over treasures. Hats? I have never been one to wear hats but let me see. Placing the hat that extended past her shoulders on her head, Bells struck a pose with her chin tilted upward and her arms extended up like she was a tree, Okto, do you think this hat screams Speaker? I'm thinking it might be just a bit over the top. But look at these dog sled reigns! Oh, now that is a statement I would love to make. Oh! I just had an idea! What if they could custom make them with BELLS? Wouldn't that just be perfect? Everyone would hear me coming.

Turning to the sales person, Is something like that possible? How much would be charged for harnesses that would be sturdy but also aestically pleasing with bells maybe in died blue leather? Maybe touches of red here and there just to set off the blue. I also want a couple of these blue pillows along with these delicate patterned blue and white plates that absolutely compliment the jar. Oh, very well, if I didn't get the jar I would end up regretting it so wrap it up with the other purchases.

Bells' eyes scanned a last time over the treasures that called to her before she nodded her head with finality. I am Bells the new speaker of Good Mead. I have a list here for other items the town requires. I understand you will need a signiture from me. Could you have the items gathered and delivered with my own purchases to the White Lady Inn by the end of the day?
Jul 20, 2022 10:49 pm
At the notion of going on a shopping spree with Bells, Anders can't even bother with a scoff. He storms off in a different direction, looking for the tavern. He hadn't spent much time in this town, but enough that he knew where to find some ale and someone to talk. The cold air feels good, as does the crunch of snow beneath his feet. Good Mead was far too warm and green, and not what he needed at the moment. He loses himself in the movement and in thought, and before he knows it the smell of stale beer greets him at a door.

Entering, he goes to the bar to order some tea and whatever food they are serving that night, before finding a table. He hadn't even checked to see if any of the companions, the "Charms" as the rest were starting to call themselves, had followed him. Taking off his coat, he relaxes in the seat and waits for his food to arrive. When it does, he asks whoever is serving about the wizard from several weeks prior, and about whom he can speak with about the pyre. Gruffly.
Last edited July 20, 2022 11:01 pm
Jul 20, 2022 10:52 pm
OOC:
It is morning but that's not to say it's not 5 o'clock somewhere.
Jul 20, 2022 11:02 pm
OOC:
Oh oops, I hadn't noticed that! Still going to the tavern to be cranky.
Jul 21, 2022 12:53 am
Rayne, leaving Zin and Bells to their affairs, joins the ranger in the tavern for some breakfast. He sits across from the ranger, ordering some drink and sausages. The foul mood surrounding the ranger was obvious to everyone who cared to notice, much more so to Rayne who knew Anders and could read his moods. He sat back in his chair as he waited for the food to arrive and raised an eyebrow questioningly at the ranger. He know better than to press Anders, but the ranger's stormy moods were becoming something of legend. "Eh, Anders, the cloud around you is so dark that you can't see what time it is?"

Roberta Justbob

Adam

Jul 21, 2022 5:50 am
Roberta takes the list.

"Good Mead? May I run an idea past you? I mentioned it to the last Speaker, but he didn't seem to get it. He thought you were selling mead."

The goblin pulls three bottles from under the counter.

"Near mead, two copper a bottle with a copper back on bottle return;
Mead, four, with one for return;
Special Old Golden, eight, with one for return.

That's the range. But with the pass closed, we can't get elven wine. There's nothing expensive."

Roberta reaches into her waistcoat pocket to retrieve a scrimshaw snuff box. She takes a bump.

"What we need is something very exclusive, very limited, very especial, very privileged.

Something that costs fifty copper, a hundred copper, hundreds of copper. In a fancy bottle."

She takes another bump, and her excitement mounts.

"And when you take the cork out, it shouldn't go back in.

And if you don't open it carefully, it should fizz everywhere, and that will somehow be fun.

And you should write the dates on the bottles, because I think that will be important. Because some will probably taste slightly different to others, just through chance, and those will be very unique.

Just write everything on the bottle, like if it was made by black bees with yellow stripes, or yellow bees with black stripes. People will decide one is better than another and pay more for it. And if they don't decide, I will."

The words are just racing out of her now.

"And for some write premier on them in fancy letters, or sign them, yes, sign them, with ink that glows. We'll charge hundreds for those.

And we'll tell people that you have to let some of the bottles rest. In a cellar. In a special cellar. We'll sell those too. People will be buying mead and not even drinking it!

And... oh... Midwinter has passed. New year! We'll say that all rich people drink premier at New Year's, and weddings, and birthdays, and on winning business deals."

Roberta takes another bump of snuff and offers Bells a pinch.

"Scrimshaw merchants, furriers, bandits with pretensions of becoming bandit queens, vendecolori, everyone with gold will be buying premier.

Ooo... Stick an 'e' on the end with one of those hats. Stick lots of hats on the letters 'Prémiêré', but in letters so fancy you can hardly read it!

A joint venture! You supply the mead. I'll take care of marketing. Big woodcut posters - gold letters on black backgrounds. Bardic jingles - but opera, so nobody understands the words. 'In the darkness, drink the stars!' but in elvish."

There was probably more, but the words have started blurring together.

Roberta Justbob

Nymetra

Adam

Jul 21, 2022 6:26 am
The Wet Trout is located near the docks on the edge of Easthaven. It's almost the last stop before you'd be heading out onto the east tundra. It's a large tavern, with a great chimney squarely in the building's centre with hearths on either side to warm the tavern's two common rooms.

The barkeep is a white dragonborn who wears a talisman bearing Auril's snowflake. She doesn't say much and serves the sausages with a grim silence that seems to echo Ander's mood.

Nymetra
Jul 21, 2022 2:33 pm
OOC:
Great scene Edmund!
The whoe ride to Easthaven, Okto remains fixed on Anders and his souring mood. He itches in his armor as he feels this new monster companion's eyes glaring at him the whole ride, a physical representation of this new gloom that clung to the ranger. Every time he means to bring it up with Anders, the wolf glares at him and Okto sinks back into his position on the sled.

As the party enters Easthaven and begins splitting up, it naturally flows that Anders and Okto fall into separate groups. Before they head off though, Okto gives a knowing glance to Rayne, as if saying Keep an eye on him (in a thoughtful way, but also a little suspicious).

Okto has a blast trying on new fashions with Bells. Okto chuckles as he tries on a bright pink floppy hat and feather boa combination over his armor, the delicate accessories contrasting wildly with his deep scars and orcish tusks. He flashes a teasing smile at Bells, "Hmm, less Speaker, more daytime drinker."
[ +- ] Fashion is Now
While Bells tends to her speakerly duties, Okto continues to try on ridiculous clothes
Last edited July 21, 2022 2:34 pm
Jul 21, 2022 3:07 pm
Anders settles into the seat across from Rayne, giving the man less of a scowl than he had given the others. He was quiet, usually. That was good. "You are still new to the North. There is always someone drinking. But I am here for questions, not sorrows." That Rayne had called him grouchy to his face had not gone unnoticed. But have I not reason to be? Sooner or later, this, too, will end.

As the dragonborn approaches with sausage and tea, Anders attempts to gather some information. He rolls up his sleeves some, showing the frostbite scars along his arms in the hopes that it might appeal to the worshipper of Auril. "Some weeks ago, a man was burnt in the heart of town. We were passing through, and had time not to stop. I would know of his failings to deserve such a fate, or the name of someone with answers."

Nymetra Myskyn

Adam

Jul 21, 2022 3:34 pm
The dragonborn nods approvingly at the frostbite.

"Auril blesses one who bears the stigmata.

That was Dzaan. A red wizard and a member of the arcane brotherhood. Or so they said."

The dragonborn gives a curl of her scaled lip to show general disdain for anything they say.

"What isn't doubted is that Dzaan led some adventurers in a quest onto the ice, over to the Thorns, you know it?"

Anders knows The Thorns. It's a strangely shaped rock formation in the centre of the east tundra.

"...anyway the adventurers were later discovered out there murdered by fire magic and acid. That was Dzaan's trademark.

Those adventurers had aided Easthaven in the past. They said the execution wasn't vengeance but a warning not to harm Easthaven's friends.

It looked like vengeance to me. Not that vengeance troubles me."

Nymetra Myskyn
Jul 21, 2022 6:00 pm
"I have been tested, and continue to be. Sometimes I wonder what she is looking for, as my trials never end. But it is not mine to ask. What you have told me will suffice, and I will likely look into the matter further. For my own reasons. Wizards rarely act so rashly. For him to die of vengeance, well... sometimes vengeance is all we have, and all we deserve." A sad look crosses Anders' face, peering through the clouds of anger. He hands the money to Nymetra along with a generous tip for the information.

When she has gone, Anders turns back to Rayne. "You were looking into this Arcane Brotherhood, were you not? Does this sound like truth to you? I suspect there is more to the story, but I am not familiar with either organization she had mentioned."
Jul 22, 2022 6:04 am
OOC:
Rayne was looking into cultists.

This is the main post about the arcane brotherhood. The arcane brotherhood is a powerful wizard's guild from Luskan in the west. They have oft meddled in Icewind Dale's history, and this means that they get blamed for everything bad in Icewind Dale (and usually with good reason).

I've put the location of The Thorns on your player handout map.
Jul 22, 2022 2:41 pm
OOC:
Oh, then Anders should know something about them, given that he's from Luskan!
Jul 22, 2022 3:05 pm
OOC:
The Host Tower in Luskan looks out in four cardinal directions. If you're the archwizard in the north tower then there's bugger all to plot against except Icewind Dale, so Ten Towns gets a lot of unwanted attention.

The Arcane Brotherhood were (indirectly) responsible for Icewind Dale's problems with The Crystal Shard over a century ago.

About four years ago, Vaelish Gant orchestrated a coup to depose Speaker Shane and take control of Bryn Shander. He also had pirates take control of Lac Dinneshere using a ship bearing a chardalyn figurehead. But ultimately, the coup was unsuccessful, and Gant was taken to the supermax prison, Revel's End, in the (even farther) North.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.