Mage the Awakening

load previous
Aug 7, 2022 1:24 am
I get that you can flavor a Mage in a number of ways according to their traditions but there's a lot of limitations beyond that. Some are easier than others; Time Lords are a two Sphere focus and pretty easily done, theme wizards like an Ice Mage require a lot of mechanical tricks.
Aug 8, 2022 2:18 pm
Well I have the book now (it is very big!) so I hope I will see some more of what you have been talking about.
Aug 9, 2022 9:06 pm
There's definitely several ways to skin a cat in that system. You can change a die roll by using Fate directly or Matter to change the center of mass of the die, or Forces to affect the wind, or maybe Time to stop its movement, or mind to change your opponent's perception of the die. Mechanically, those all result in the same outcome, but the flavor is very different and I feel like it gives a lot of freedom on how to approach spellcasting.

The Mage Sight, Mage Armors, and Attainments are pretty different for the various Arcana too.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't approximate fairly closely a Mage that feels like a traditional magic-user archetype. An Ice Wizard would primarily use Matter (for changing the state of water to ice or just creating water and ice) and probably Forces, but the flavor would just be on the player to limit themselves to portraying their spells as ice-based. Rules as written, that mage could also use lightning and fire and do a bunch of other stuff that ice wizards don't, but if that's the character you want to play, you can.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.