Character Generation Thread

load previous
Aug 13, 2022 9:24 am
It is always a hard question; how much points do you put into a certain stat?
The bigger the die gets, the less effective.
Going from d4 to d6 is huge +50%. D10 to d12, is just +20%, still big but quite less for the same stat.

I like that part in this game as you have only a few stats to spare.
Aug 13, 2022 9:31 am
So, we have a quite balanced party if it were D&D I guess. I haven't played enough SWADE to know it though.

A fighter type
A fighrer/thief type
A ranger type
And two magic users (My spell list is "cleric based")

Not sure but I suddenly realize now there could be some similarity between our characters @Voldemorr :) I also see enough difference. Our possibly ways to connect our characters backstory somehow.
Aug 13, 2022 1:19 pm
Cettish says:
It is always a hard question; how much points do you put into a certain stat?
Yeah, I started off going for one really good trait and one dump trait, but then I started looking at what I wanted the character to be able to do, and I ended up with a fairly flat build (all d6s except for a d8 from being an elf),
Aug 13, 2022 7:04 pm
Apologies for my tardiness. Have had a lot going on for a couple days. I have mostly worked out the character concept and it's going to be a rogue/assassin type. I've put points into my stats already but struggling with allocating the skills and assigning points. I've chosen my hindrances as well. So as I understand I get 12 points to add skills (outside the 5 that all characters get), how do those get assigned? Let's say I choose to take the thievery skill, I understand it'll start at a d4, did I spend any of my 12 points choosing to take thievery?
Aug 13, 2022 8:11 pm
@miroden

Thievery starts at D4-2
You can invest 1 of your 12 points in it to put it to D4
If you put another point in it, it will go to D6

For each point you put in it, it will become a "bigger dice" (D4-2, D4, D6, D8, D10, D12)

But if the dice gets bigger than the basic dice of your stat (for thievery that is Agility), you need to pay two points.

Say that you have D8 agility.
And you want D10 thievery.
That costs you 5 of your 12 points (D4-2 to D4 =1 to D6=1 (2 total) to D8=1 (3 total) and to D10=2 (5 total) because the D10 is bigger than the D8 in agility).

The Savage Worlds Adveture Edition Advanced Sheet in this thread really makes life a lot easier.
Last edited August 13, 2022 8:13 pm
Aug 13, 2022 10:53 pm
@Cettish

Thanks so much for that reply. I think that makes more sense now. I took a look at that character sheet you mentioned and I think I understand how this works. Is that the sheet you'd recommend using for setup?
Aug 13, 2022 11:17 pm
The party is well-balanced and I think that you will do well in this adventure, as it was originally written for D&D. As for how you come together, the adventure assumes that you are already a group, so you can develop that as you desire.
Aug 14, 2022 1:48 am
Well Rivers is your basic guy that really doesn't take in what around him. He does what he does and that is fight. He has heard about the trouble here and has come to fix things. But who has he traveled with?

Appearance: Rivers is simple and has a leather armor and metal helm. Has a nice shield. Throw a backpack on and a spear (Blood Spiller) in his hand with a dagger to his side and you know him.

Description: Rives is a tall (6'4") and husky for a human man. He has strangely/stringy hair red that is fairly short and full red beard. He is black eyes may as well be blind for how much he sees around him. Appears to be in his thirties.

Personality: Rivers is cautious man that like to plan things out and not rush into things which is strange cause he isn't brightest guy around, but once he is set, that is him. He is an adventure that seek gold most of all.

Known: Known as an Adventurer.

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/003/667/732/large/nousseir-aissa-characters-spearman-final-v2.jpg?1476219281
Last edited August 14, 2022 2:13 am
Aug 14, 2022 3:02 am
Talgarth is a half-elf, though he takes after his human mother in appearance. Quiet and taciturn, he is young, fit and has a (Hindrance) Curious nature.

From his time with the others they know he has been hiring himself out as a bounty hunter, and militia man, around the local region. He seems (Hindrance) Driven by a personal vendetta against the roving bandits, and shows no mercy towards them.

Most of the local folk don’t take well to him due to his standoffish nature, and that he is not a local so he is a noticeable (Hindrance) Outsider.

He’s got a sharp eye, and tends to (Edge) Notice what is going on around him with some skill. A skill that has served the group well when some (Edge) Thieving skills were needed, and he’s quick with his fists (Edge - Ambidextrous).

His equipment is well used and old. He carries a shield with a small reflective plate attached to the upper portion, and a sharp spike in the centre. He favours a heavy rapier in melee, and a sling for distance combat.
Aug 14, 2022 10:39 am
@miroden ; yeah, I am using the custom sheet myself. It is very useful.
Zana is a smallish teenaged girl with red hair. She likes to dress in blue.
She seems devoted to Procan, the good god of the sea.

She originally comes from from a small fishermans village. She has been helping around on her father's shop.
But she mostly became a bit of a local celebrity because of her healing hands. She never knew how she had them, or why even.
She could just heal people with her touch.

"If you are injured, go see the shopkeeper's daughter"

Villagers considered it a blessing from Procan, the good god of the sea, and Zana just started to assume that as well.
She has never received any proper religious education.

When she heard stories of an aunt in Orlane being really ill, she decided to leave her obligations in her home town for a little while and travel to Orlane to see if her healing hands could cure her aunt. So she joined a group of travelling adventurers (her father really didn't like the idea, but she did it anyway) to get a safe travel to Orlane.
She has a healing touch, and a few more spells.

Hindrances:
Small, Young, Obligation (to Procan), Stubborn

Edges:
Arcane Background - Miracles, Extra Powerpoints, Holy Protection (Holy Warrior, but well, Zana is not a warrior)
https://i.imgur.com/0g0GdEg.jpg
Last edited August 14, 2022 10:42 am
Aug 16, 2022 1:52 am
Name: Elevan

Species: Wood Elf

Specialties: Archery and Wilderness Survival

Elevan was raised in the wilds where he learned to shoot and hunt. He doesn't look like much - a bit on the small side, wouldn't appear that threatening if you met him in a dark alley. But he knows how to handle a bow, and he shoots to kill. He's not much of a talker, but if you spend time with him, you'll learn that he is loyal to his friends (even if he isn't always friendly to him).
[ +- ] Picture
Nov 13, 2022 8:38 pm
Hi everyone. Glad to be a part of this. Watched the first interest check with great interest.

I'm thinking a Baklunish dervish/warrior cleric might be fun. Persuasive and uptight.
Nov 13, 2022 11:48 pm
Hi Qralloq, welcome aboard.
Nov 17, 2022 4:25 am
What's the game plan? Wait to get @Ctme2000 's character built then go, or are we hoping for more players than that?
Last edited November 17, 2022 4:25 am
Nov 17, 2022 2:19 pm
Hey, sorry y'all, going back and forth between what kind of character to play between the different ab's available in the FC. Think I'm going to try a human druid, the party seems to have a more traditional feel, vs. something more eclectic like a diabolist or summoner.

Do we start at base Novice rank, or are y'all more advanced at this point?
Last edited November 17, 2022 2:21 pm
Nov 17, 2022 4:00 pm
Hi ctme2000, and welcome aboard. Hope this bit of info helps you, and am sure WhtKnt can help more.

WhtKnt gave this as the starter info;
Character Generation Info
Characters should be of Novice Rank and suitable for a typical fantasy campaign. The Born a Hero and Multiple Languages setting rules are in effect, so you can ignore Rank requirements for Edges during character selection and you also get a number of languages equal to one-half your Smarts at d6.

So far we have a 1/2 elf fighter/thief (me), human fighter (GeneCortess) and a "Baklunish dervish/warrior cleric" (Qralloq). The scenario is an old AD&D adventure from the early days, so a druid would be great.

The game has only just started. The party reached a tavern in a small hamlet, situated by the edge of a marsh. We have settled down for the night and then...
Nov 17, 2022 5:08 pm
Hi Drakis2, thanks for the update. Wasn't sure how far along the adventure you've already been and might've leveled up at some point. I'll follow what WhtKnt posted.
Nov 22, 2022 12:45 am
They've really just gotten going. Are you about ready ctme2000? As soon as your character is in, we can get back underway. I'm going to pull a little GM fiat and just place you guys into the roles of the characters that have been vacated. The situation is that you have come into town to find the townsfolk quiet and standoffish, save for the staff at the Golden Grain Inn. You accepted the innkeeper's offer of rooms for the night, only to wake (some of you, anyway) to find people in your rooms!
Nov 22, 2022 3:08 am
Yup, pretty much, just need to input the character into GP. Should have him in by tomorrow at the latest.
Nov 29, 2022 10:43 pm
Sorry for the delay, between Thanksgiving, the World Cup, and a sick toddler, not much time. Should be better now.

Submitted Ganamede Zylven, human druid. Just need to pick two more powers from the Nature domain, but good to go/play otherwise.

https://i.imgur.com/jJyQTar.jpg
Last edited November 29, 2022 10:44 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.