Ask Me Anything: Zagrave

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Aug 12, 2022 4:07 pm
I think you passively recommended Stan Rogers Fogerty's Cove and I've enjoyed that recommendation
Aug 12, 2022 7:10 pm
Doggo DNA test results are in. 29.5% Plott, 26.9% Lab, 21.6% Dogue de Bordeaux. Fascinating.
Aug 12, 2022 7:47 pm
True on Stan! Such a great album. You can sign it with Jim and I when we all meet.

I should look into this dog DNA bidness…
Aug 12, 2022 7:54 pm
We used Embark, got it off Amazon. Results came back in...2 weeks I think?
Aug 13, 2022 6:38 am
Since you like such a diverse and large amount of RPGs... are you a physical book or pdf kind of GM?
Aug 13, 2022 12:58 pm
Aironfabio says:
Since you like such a diverse and large amount of RPGs... are you a physical book or pdf kind of GM?
Mostly I use pdfs, especially since everything I'm running right now is online, it's convenient. Though I've been known to grab a book when I know it'll be easier to flip to what I'm looking for than to try to scroll to find it on the pdf. Also with running a lot of various games to try them on I usually go with the pdf and if it turns out I like it and want to run it more than I'll spring for the book. I also like the books that are really well designed with art and layout that are just nice to browse through like the Free League stuff. I have a shelf full of books that I don't run on the regular, TOON, GURPS, Rifts, L5R, D&D 3.5.
Aug 15, 2022 4:33 pm
Have you tried combining any of your hobbies?
Can you recomend a bibimbap recipe?
What do movies and TV get wrong about your job/career?
What games are currently on your board game shelf of shame?
Aug 15, 2022 5:27 pm
crazybirdman says:
Have you tried combining any of your hobbies?
Well there was naturally the rock band / guitar hero phase of the aughts that combined video games and rhythm. I played my fair share of those. I love attempting to integrate my artistic skills in my ttrpgs with reference sheets, character art for NPCs, maps, flavor pieces, etc though usually it's more image manipulation than any artistic talent I do not possess. Outside of that can't think of anything, though I'm interested to test a woodworking ttrpg.
crazybirdman says:
Can you recomend a bibimbap recipe?
The one I get from HelloFresh is pretty good. Honestly pan sautee some veggies (carrot, zucchini, mushroom), pickle some scallions in vinegar and sugar, cook up some ground beef or pork maybe with some onions and ginger dump a combination soy sauce, sesame oil and brown sugar, let it simmer a bit to integrate with the ground meat. Throw it all on top of some rice. Fry up an egg and throw that on there too if you're feeling dashing and bimbim-bamo you got yourself a meal.
crazybirdman says:
What do movies and TV get wrong about your job/career?
Hmm, I work at a metal fabrication shop so it's mostly middle aged grumpy white guys welding and or machining parts. Despite what Flashdance portrays there are no Jennifer Beals types. Though I did meet my partner working here so I guess maybe my version of Jennifer Beals was here. Guess Flashdance got that right. She's not a welder though, she works in HR. Beyond that it's pretty run of the mill around these parts. Most every project goes over budget both financially and time-wise, but we keep ticking along.
crazybirdman says:
I have Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion that I picked up about a year ago, never even punched the chits. Same with Endeavor Age of Sail. I have a card based story game called....shoot I can't even remember the name, that I've owned for approximately ten years, have never convinced anyone to try it and have all but given up that I ever will. I'll update with the title when I'm back home and can properly look at it longingly. Beyond that I believe I've played all of the 100+ other games in my library (though some not as much as I'd like). I try to have people over at least once a month for board gaming, it was more frequent when I was but a lonesome bachelor.
Aug 15, 2022 10:58 pm
Zagrave says:

crazybirdman says:
I have Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion that I picked up about a year ago, never even punched the chits.
I have the original Gloomhaven. What a monster! It's got to be the biggest box of any game I ever owned, and the heaviest. Pretty cool game though.
Aug 15, 2022 11:26 pm
But but Gloomhaven was such a tempting box set, all massive and awesome, sitting in the store asking to be bought!

Conversely, which board games have seen most gameplay for you?
Aug 15, 2022 11:53 pm
BedzoneII says:
Conversely, which board games have seen most gameplay for you?
Honestly probably 6 nimmt, just because it's quick and easy and usually a good filler game that still has a fair bit of strategy to it.

If I had my way probably the most played game in the collection would be Trajan. I really dig worker placement games and it has a fairly unique mechanic as to how action selection is determined using a mancala like system. It's a tad heavier so it doesn't hit the table as often with the fans of the lighter weight stuff.
Aug 16, 2022 4:07 pm
Ugh, Five Crowns is my families 6 Nimmt, that one seems to hit the table the most. Thanks for letting us know about Trajan, I'll keep an eye out for that one.
Aug 16, 2022 4:59 pm
Which film directors do you follow?
Aug 16, 2022 5:12 pm
justin77 says:
Which film directors do you follow?
Nice question. I'm a big fan of the podcast Blank Check with Griffin and David that explore director's filmographies and that has really gotten me to shift my mindset to approaching the whole filmography as a piece. I like a lot of what Sam Raimi's done. Taika Watiti has some good stuff though I haven't seen all of his work. I'm excited to see what the Daniels come up with next because I adored Everything Everywhere All at Once. I like what the Russo brothers do, their Marvel films are some of my favorites and I really enjoyed Extraction, I haven't checked out the Gray Man yet but it's on my list. Trachtenberg is a favorite and I'm excited to watch Prey but haven't gotten to it yet. I like most everything the Coen brothers have done. I think Chloé Zhao is great and I'm sad that Eternals got such a lukewarm reception and hope it doesn't derail her efforts and her ability to get bigger projects. I recently watched the Raid: Redemption and the Raid 2 so I'm itching to try out more of Gareth Evans work Apostle and Havoc. Bong Joon-ho is an automatic watch for me. I haven't caught Nope yet but I liked Get Out and Us so Jordan Peele has my attention. I'm sure I'm overlooking someone, but there's a slice of the names that spring to mind.
Aug 17, 2022 2:26 pm
Zagrave says:

I like a lot of what Sam Raimi's done. Taika Watiti has some good stuff though I haven't seen all of his work. I'm excited to see what the Daniels come up with next because I adored Everything Everywhere All at Once. I like what the Russo brothers do, their Marvel films are some of my favorites...
I don't think I've ever seen any of Chloe Zhao's stugg, but I am definitely a fan of just about all of the other directors you named. I loved Raimi's Drag Me To Hell (it's like Evil Dead on a Spiderman budget) and almost anything that Taika Waititi has done, especially his early stuff. If you're into a lot of the Marvel stuff and you like horror, you should dig into some of James Gunn's movies if you haven't already. Slither is one of my favorite horror comedies and it has a bunch of actors that you've seen in Guardians. The only thing I've seen from Trachtenberg is 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I really liked the relentless sense of tension in that one.
Aug 17, 2022 3:01 pm
Drag Me To Hell is just a *chef's kiss* of a movie and possibly my favorite Raimi. I really liked his all-but-forgotten film Crimewave but my partner noped out of it about twenty minutes in, too ridiculous for her. And The Quick and the Dead is just so over-the-top it's hard to not enjoy.

Definitely a fan of Gunn's work in GotG Vol 1 and 2. I feel like I've probably seen Slither but it's been long enough that I need a rewatch.

I first was amazed by Trachtenberg's short film Portal: No Escape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drucg1A6Xk

I really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane. Bonus points for having Mary Elizabeth Winstead my official hall pass from the partner.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.