Introduction

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 16, 2022 2:29 am
Im a 51 year old dad who's slowly getting back into D&D. I last played 1st and 2nd generation with negative ac class being the best. So obviously alittle bit has changed since i last played about 30 years ago. I am currently playing in my first Play-by-post on Discord and its fun but im looking to see what else is out there. So im stopping on to see what your all about and what game options you offer.
Last edited August 16, 2022 2:31 am
Aug 16, 2022 2:34 am
Hello and welcome!
Aug 16, 2022 3:01 am
Welcome, GigaOWP!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Aug 16, 2022 3:03 am
Welcome to GP, GigaOWP! There are lots of us old-schoolers around, don't sweat that a bit! Good luck getting your sea legs back!
Aug 16, 2022 3:16 am
Welcome GigaOWP. Lots of old style gaming happens here, and new style, and everything in between. What kind of things are you interested in?
Aug 16, 2022 4:11 am
Welcome to GP, GigaOWP!
Aug 16, 2022 5:50 am
Welcome to Gamersplane, GigaOWP! Really cool that you're getting back in the hobby, hope you can find a game here too to your liking!
Aug 16, 2022 6:15 am
Welcome!
Aug 16, 2022 7:35 am
Welcome :)
Aug 16, 2022 9:23 am
welcome
Aug 16, 2022 10:49 am
Welcome to GP, GigaOWP.
Aug 16, 2022 4:26 pm
Welcome Aboard!
Aug 16, 2022 4:46 pm
Welcome!
Aug 16, 2022 7:06 pm
Greetings and Salutations!
Aug 16, 2022 10:20 pm
I have only played d&d but I like all genre and am willing to learn different systems or homebrew campaigns. I think my online options are limited right now because I'm only on my mobile phone. Seems like I need a pc or atleast not be android based to play VTT with voice &/or video games.
Then I also find a lot of pay to play games and im just not there yet.

So I have these questions.
1)are you pay to play? I understand why they are done its just not for me yet.

2) my only experience so far is discord avrae commands and im still new to that. How are your games run and is a pc required?
Aug 16, 2022 10:26 pm
Hi GigaOWP. There is no pay requirement for this site, it's explicitly free to use.

You can definitely play entirely from an android phone. I run games and play them almost exclusively that way.
Aug 16, 2022 10:27 pm
Nothing on GP is pay to play. There are no features on the site that require you to pay money and I believe paid games aren't allowed here, though that has never come up before.

GP is a play-by-post site, so rather than play live and via camera or microphone, you just post in a forum whenever you have the opportunity. It's asynchronous play.

Take a look at some of the links I posted above, in particular public games, if you want to get a feel for how that works.
Aug 17, 2022 5:09 am
Game speed varies, from posting once a week to multiple times a day, and most are willing to help newcomers learn. I started with D&D, through AD&D, 2, 3, 3.5 skipped 4 and picked up 5 during Covid.
If you want to get into 5e I suggest a campaign starting at 1st level just to get used to the system. If you already feel confusing from your Discord game then anything up to 5th sound be fine
I don't know of any right now but if you want I can set up a game just to walk you through some of the basics of the site and 5e.
Or just wait for a new game to start. Some people even post game requests looking for a DM so look around.
Last edited August 17, 2022 5:15 am

Len

Aug 17, 2022 3:24 pm
Welcome GigaOWP! RPG dads unite!
Aug 17, 2022 10:14 pm
I drive around serving water coolers, ice machines and stuff like that.
So I try to keep an eye on my alerts to keep the narrative moving along
Specially if I know we are in Battle. Im probably most active 6pm-11pm est/edt [gmt-5]

Activity won't be a huge problem for me. Right now my only source books come from dnd beyond.
PHB, Tortle package, One Grung Above and a few races I bought so I has other options.
I will see what pops up here I'm definitely down to play a campaign, or one shots because they look
like fun.

Thanks for all your replies really appreciated it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.