I'm New to this; I want to try Ironsworn.

Aug 19, 2022 4:41 pm
As the title says, I'm new to this. I work a bunch and I do not like having to choose between my family and TTRPGs so I'm giving this a try. I do not really know what to do. The introductory page gave a an error message so I guess I have to resort to being potentially annoying? Any help would be appreciated.

The game that I want to try is Ironsworn (guided play or coop). Maybe someone would be interested in this or maybe have a better suggestion.
Aug 19, 2022 4:53 pm
Hey there, Zuteais!

What page was it that gave an error? That might be something for @Keleth to take a look at. As for how to navigate the site, here's a bunch of helpful links.

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Aug 19, 2022 4:58 pm
Welcome to the fold! There are lots of people on Gamers Plane using this site to work ttrpgs into busy schedules, and there are active Ironsworn players.
Aug 19, 2022 5:35 pm
Welcome Zuteais. There is a public Ironsworn game, I believe... no, they're both private (need to be in them to read). Perhaps if a spot becomes available, you might be able to apply to join them.
Aug 19, 2022 6:24 pm
Welcome to GP, Zuteais! Ironsworn is an awesome game — hope you find others to play with!
Aug 19, 2022 7:03 pm
Welcome Aboard!

GamersPlane has a good community and everyone is willing to help you acclimate to using the site. Asynchronous gaming is real what the site is all about and there are plenty of people around, interested in just about every genre, that can help answer questions for you.

The DISCORD is really handy for quicker conversations and we have members from around the globe (or just don't sleep) so someone's usually on to help.
Aug 19, 2022 7:34 pm
Welcome to Gamersplane, Zuteais! Ironsworn's a pretty neat system, hopefully we get to play it together once a game opens up!
Aug 19, 2022 8:29 pm
Welcome!

@vagueGM might be up for some Ironsworn guidance :)
Aug 19, 2022 10:09 pm
Ackchyually, the introduction section is over there...

Nah, just kidding! Welcome aboard! If the real intro section was giving you problems, I guess this place is as good as any to make your own intro...

As for Ironsworn, I'm afraid I won't be of much help. While it is one of the many, many, many games I own, it's also one of the many, many, many games I haven't had time to read just yet...
Aug 19, 2022 10:22 pm
TheGenerator says:
@vagueGM might be up for some Ironsworn guidance :)
Indeed welcome.

And indeed, I have guided Ironsworn in the past, and can do so again if there is interest. It is a good game, though a tad heavy on Moves for guided play.

@Zuteais what in particular is it about Ironsworn that draws you to it?
Sep 6, 2022 4:56 am
It's free and anyone can access it.
The start-up is quick.
The rules are pretty intuitive.
(I did see some places to make changes, but overall it is pretty good)
I am not too familiar with the moves. I think I may just need to do more games.

There may be other systems that work better, but I think the character generation is just really close to something really great.
Sep 6, 2022 5:51 am
Zuteais says:
... The start-up is quick. ...
Depends what we are comparing it to. I would class it more as 'medium' than 'quick', but quick enough, sure.
Zuteais says:
... The rules are pretty intuitive. ...
Agreed. Though that is largely due to its PbtA roots, so there are many others that are mostly 'as good' in that regard.
Zuteais says:
... I am not too familiar with the moves. ...
The Moves are good, and very well constructed for solo or guided play, but there are a lot of them, and many of them are structured so as to remove the need for a GM, making them a wee bit redundant when there is a GM (guide). This is not a problem, it just means there are more things to keep in mind and watch out for when they trigger, and many of them are handled by the GM, in the background, so, from a player perspective, they almost may as well not exist. They are sufficiently well written that they don't overly limit what the GM can do, but they are merely 'unnecessary' (in guided play).
Zuteais says:
... I think I may just need to do more games. ...
No argument on that point. We all do. :)
Zuteais says:
... I think the character generation is just really close to something really great ...
Agreed. There are a few weirdnesses with leveling, and some combinations can cause issues, or never come online, but the 'freeform collection of cards' can really make for cool character ideas. City of Mist tried something similar (with the cards), but that is a hard game to make work.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.