9. Caer-Dineval

Caer-Dineval

Adam

Aug 22, 2022 6:57 am
Nightal 24th ~ Caer-Dineval

Your mounts follow the rocky shore of Lac Dinneshere in the gloomy daylight. Finally, after several hours of your beasts' steady plodding, you spy a small fortress jutting up from the prominence which overlooks the lake.

Below the fort (the "caer" from which the town takes its name), a ruined watchtower lies abandoned at the mouth of the frozen harbour. Most of the town's buildings line the path that winds down the steep slope from the caer to the docks perched on the rocky shore.

The town and the harbour look barren and abandoned. The caer is well lit, but the tavern at its foot and a few other buildings show only meagre lights and none show smoke from their chimneys. The street is deserted, and there are few footprints.

https://i.imgur.com/ri9EJLO.jpg

Caer-Dineval
Aug 22, 2022 4:54 pm
"It has been some time since I was here last, and I do not recall the town being quiet so sparse. Perhaps they finally fled this wasteland. Or perhaps the Duergar got here first," sneers Anders as they approach the abandoned town. He had been aggressively silent throughout the trip to this place, and his words come as a shock not unlike an unexpected breeze in the tundra. The wolf pads alongside, sometimes disappearing into the snow to keep scout. That they arrived unaccosted was an oddity, and did not bode well for the group.
Aug 22, 2022 5:12 pm
cowleyc says:
aggressively silent
OOC:
That’s great!
Aug 23, 2022 12:34 am
All throughout their travels to Caer Dineval, Okto keeps a suspicious eye on Anders' new wolf. Ever since that thing appeared, his old friend has been even more distant, grumpy, and downright hostile to the group. It was not but a few weeks ago that the group professed all of their individuals traumas and secrets (well, some of them), and declared that they were a burgeoning found family (though based on the recent developments between Zin and Bells, which Okto is likely perceptive enough to have at least caught some of, maybe he should find a different term for the group). Okto wanted nothing more than to just talk to Anders, but wolf seemed ever in sight. And even when it wasn't, Anders was often annoyed by Okto's words even before his demeanor changed.

At some point, Okto wanders away from the group, claiming the need to create some lager in the snow. And while he does relieve himself, he also casts Detect Good and Evil. Okto then wanders back to the group, holding concentration on his spell, hoping to relieve himself of the notion that this wolf is some kind of evil that has latched onto his old pal.
[ +- ] Detect Good and Evil
Last edited August 23, 2022 3:11 am
Aug 23, 2022 3:10 am
cowleyc sent a note to aquafina
Aug 23, 2022 6:11 am
"I hope its the former, Anders" Rayne says to the ranger as the group surveys the town. "Someone, or something, looks at home in the caer but lets start at the tavern first," the fighter suggests, "a town isn't a town without a tavern, and we might find some indiciation of what happened here." Rayne continues on towards the tavern, keen on finding some answers, and some shelter, before night falls.

Roark

Adam

Aug 23, 2022 6:28 am
Auril's wind sneaks through your furs to cut and sting as you make your way up to the tavern. If you weren't being assaulted by Auril's bitter knives, then you might appreciate the spectacular view this tavern has of the lake and the docks.

A rime-frosted sign declares the tavern to be called "The Uphill Climb", but it's a thin joke. There's an empty stable for your mounts with troughs containing ice but no hay.

Inside the tavern, eight people sit around a single dale lamp set on a large table. Frightened eyes peer out of fur coats covering their gaunt, starving frames.

A skeletal man stands and slowly shuffles over with his head bent as though he doesn't have the strength to raise it. The skin on his face is dry and discoloured; his moustache is patchy and untended.

"Welcom.." the greeting crumbles into a cough. The man shivers more than one would expect given the Dale lamp - but this unfortunate no longer has fat reserves to warm him.

"I'm Roark. I'm afraid we don't have any mead. I can offer you hot birch tea."

A sudden convulsive shiver overcomes him before he gets it under control and gestures to the one warm table.

Roark
Aug 23, 2022 12:13 pm
The quietness of the Caer unnerved Zinvaris. Something about the town elicited feelings of being stalked by a mountain cat in the forests of his home. In those situations where the hunter might become the hunted at any moment. Zinvaris eyed the buildings and surrounding landscape with wary eyes, searching for signs of a Duergar presence or some other threat.

The wood elf entered the tavern and at the sight of people, although bedraggled, his muscles released some of their tension. What has happened here, Roark? Where is everyone, where is your speaker?
OOC:
I don't know if it applies at all, but adding a perception check in case.

Rolls

Zinvaris Willowmire: Perception - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Roark

Adam

Aug 23, 2022 12:43 pm
The man smiles weakly, showing bloody snaggled teeth. Zin's senses are wide open, so when it hits, it hits like a lightning strike. The smell of decay and decomposition is overpowering - but sweet like honey-dipped rancid flesh. It seems improbable that anything that wasn't undead could smell so rotten. But, Zin's alertness stays his hand. This isn't the smell of the living dead. This is what starvation smells like. This is the smell when the body starts to consume itself.

"Resting, sir. Saving their strength. Just a couple more days until the full moon and the knuckledeep rise."

The moon was waxing gibbous last night. It'll be five days until the full moon.

"Speaker Siever is resting in the Caer, sir. They say he's very ill. The new guards are looking after him."

Roark
Aug 23, 2022 12:52 pm
Zinvaris looked at the man, his brow drawn down in worry. The wood elf looked at the others in this room and then removed his pack and started pulling his rations out and laid them on the bar. Take these... Distribute them as you see fit, its all I can offer. And tell me about these new guards.
OOC:
Zin will hand over all 10 of his rations.

Roark

Adam

Aug 23, 2022 1:12 pm
https://i.imgur.com/Wto4j8O.png
Roark motions a youth over and whispers to him to take the rations around the town, but not to be too generous.

"There are others need it more that us, sir." Roark explains (somewhat improbably).

"The new guards don't have much to do with the town now, sir. When they arrived, we were told to look out for mages. One in red and grey robes, one who's a young woman with glasses, and..."

He taps at his head to dislodge the memory.

"...and old one-eyed woman. And grey dwarves. We're to look out for those too,sir. But the guards have left us alone since then."

He shrugs with one shoulder, as it's pretty obvious that there's nobody in any fit state to go out looking for anyone.

"The guards all wear talismans, like a knightly order. Talismans of swords over a black crystal."

Roark
Aug 23, 2022 5:19 pm
Zinvaris turned to his companions and talked in a hushed tone for only the group to here. These guards strike me as weeds that are feeding off of this town, threatening to stifle all of its people. If these guards use the tainted crystals, perhaps I could approach them with the shards I obtained from the Duergar. Once I am inside their defenses I could look for weaknesses or ways for us to remove this threat. Rayne, as you know something of the shards, would you care to accompany me?
Aug 23, 2022 5:23 pm
"Or we could put them down like the dogs they are. The crystals are no good, and these guards are likely tainted as well."
Aug 23, 2022 6:53 pm
Zinvaris looked at Anders and nodded slightly. Weeds must be pulled, yes. But what if they kill those not tainted at first sign of an assault? In my experience, the patient blade can be just as lethal and avoid unnecessary... damage. I also wonder if those that carry the tainted crystals can be saved... Rayne seems to have been able to resist and recover from its sway and I have carried these shards for some time looking for a way to destroy or safely discard them.
Aug 23, 2022 9:57 pm
Okto immediately offers up his rations as well. It had been a while since Okto had had a bout with starvation, as he's had steady employment for a time before their adventures, but Okto remembers the feeling.

Okto also remembers the great fishing days he and his crew would have after full moons. During those days, fishermen were like soldiers coming back victorious after long wars, and they drank like they were too.

"Agreed. These people have suffered plenty, let's do our best to avoid adding to it."
Aug 23, 2022 10:30 pm
By the description of a pass full of bandits Bells was confused when Caer Dineval towering silhouette came into view. We're here already? Did you take a short-cut, Anders? The bard looked back behind her at their trail cut into the snow. Thinking back, there had been some rough patches but the path had always seemed like a clear cut road. The simple truth was the party had not encountered any trouble.

Neither did the city on their approach offer up any trouble as it appeared deserted. Bells looked upward at some of the few lights glowing in the gloom starting to take a step in that direction when Rayne pointed out the tavern. Bells didn't need to be convinced to seek protection from the weather. Although downy soft, in addition, to being well insulated her reindeer coat could not block every calculating gust of wind the Ice Maiden sent.

Settling the dogs in the stable, Bells entered the tavern expecting a blast of warm air to turn her nose from its current color back to her honeyed tone while bringing feeling back to her fingers but there was no heat. Apparently heat wasn't the only staple the tavern was short. No mead? NO MEAD!?! The exact reason the former speaker had kept prices reasonable was those calories helped to sustain life. Now these people were starving.

Bells didn't need to investigate to find the reason before working on a solution. That would come with time but unlikely that would put food in bellies. The Speaker brought out her Sending Stone to send an urgent message to Olivessa.

Conditions at Caer Dineval are critical. People starving. Send a wagon of mead plus supplies. Send driver first light. Take land road. Deliver to tavern.
Last edited August 24, 2022 12:39 am

Sending Stone

Adam

Aug 24, 2022 5:12 am
Acknowledged. Mead and supplies to be delivered by Rayne's Huskies at first light. Battlehammer prospectors in town. Hruna's kin. Send their regards. Town spirits high.

Sending Stone

Rolls

Secret Roll

Roark

Adam

Aug 24, 2022 5:53 am
Okto shares his rations and receives the town's pitiful story in return.

They fish for Knuckledeep here - huge trout that come up only after the full moon. There are a few days of fishing, then a month of surviving on their bounty and extracting the large ivory for scrimshanders.

When all the towns came together to agree their sacrifices to the Frostmaiden, the largest towns were forced to sacrifice their people, and the medium towns endure a night without any warmth. The Caers and Lonelywood? Their food. On the night of the new moon, the people here hang all their food out on the rocks for Auril's children to feast. Caer-Dineval's speaker is a noble; he's not a fisher; he didn't understand his own town and its infrequent bounty.

It wasn't too bad at the start. The town still had their prized knucklehead ivory to trade, and the ferry brought supplies. But the ferry stopped coming. The ivory trade evaporated when the Ten-Trail pass closed. The few merchants who braved the Caer-Konig/Easthaven route bypassed Caer-Dineval as it had nothing to offer.

As hunger set in, the people became weaker and landing the enormous knuckledeeps became harder. Speaker Siever was set to negotiate aid when he fell ill.

Many people left for Easthaven, Caer-Konig, or the bandit camps - better life as a refugee or bandit than no life at all. The weak, those with children, and the elderly remained.

Unlike Lonelywood, Termalaine and Good Mead, Caer-Dineval has no timber to trade nor woods in which to hunt. Caer-Dineval isn't entrepreneurial, like Easthaven. It doesn't have a strong leader like Targos or Bryn Shander. It doesn't have connections with nomadic tribes like Caer-Konig.

But eventually, Auril shall claim the woods of Icewind Dale, and all the lakes shall freeze. Seeing Caer-Dineval is like looking into Icewind Dale's future.

Roark
Aug 24, 2022 11:49 pm
Bells schooled her features when the black shards were mentioned. Those blasted shards again! So much trouble seemed to surround their presence but why had they shown up here in Caer Dineval?

The speaker listened to Zin's assessment of the crystals being like weeds choking out life and couldn't agree more. But then Bells found herself looking at Zin with a look of horror on her face when his plan was to single handedly take on the fortress on the hill before he deign to invite Rayne to accompany him. Zinvaris Willowmire! How do you think I could ever live with myself if I sat sipping tea while you put yourself at risk and then you needed us but we weren't there? You need to remember you are no longer a one man show. You're part of a team which means we do this together. Success or failure, it is done together.

Bells had not meant to sound like a fish mongers wife when she found her man in the bar a little too late into the evening. However, Zin had truly frightened her. Losing him was just unacceptable. Maybe he thought himself expendable but Bells thought him anything but.

I would like to remove the speaker from what sounds more like captors than nurses. Maybe it would be best to secure him before we try to decide the fate of the knights one way or the other. Zin, do you think you could get us in through a window or something? Although our tracks might be a problem.
Aug 25, 2022 2:02 am
Zin listened to Bells’ with confusion plain on his face. How can she not see this is our best option? After she suggested a window, Zin shook his head slightly. Bells, the Caers are forts built specifically to withstand intruders from getting in… it’s windows will be too small to enter, it’s doors will be reinforced and only openable from the inside. The only other way I can see, other than to be let in, would be to scale an outer wall where we’re sure to be seen by guards.

Zin’s brow drew down as he scrutinized the bard. What is she so scared of? Zin continued flushing out the plan.

We can link, Bells, and then Rayne and I approach the fort with the shards. We will tell them we heard they wear the Chardlyn openly and would like to trade and rest and learn about their group. Once inside I can stealthily find the speaker and find a way to let you in. You can wait in the tavern… it isn’t that far of a run to the fort if we need help.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.