One on One Dnd play by post game

Aug 26, 2022 3:28 pm
I have a question. I want to try doing a one on one play by post dnd game on here. How do I do that? Is it like solo dnd but with a person? Has anyone ever done this type of game before? Just curious. If you have any tips or advice on how to do it, please let me know.

I haven't ran many play by post dnd games on here or played in many but am just trying my best.
Aug 26, 2022 3:36 pm
I've played and am still playing in a couple of 1-on-1 games, though not D&D, and generally, I tend to enjoy them more than group games. You can get a lot more personal and targeted with interests, characters and stories. You also dont have to struggle with figuring out posting order or different speeds. If the other person posted, it's your turn next

As for how to find them, same as any other game, except you need fewer players for it.

I also think 1-on-1 games lend themselves particularly well to GM-less play, but that's a personal preference
Aug 26, 2022 3:41 pm
Ok awesome. Thank you. 😁
Aug 26, 2022 3:49 pm
I just started a 1-on-1 game here on gamersplane.com and I'm really enjoying--I hope it's long running.

I actually have hosted many 1-on-1 in person games throughout my life, and I've always found them very enjoyable. So far Play-by-Post has suited it so well.

Like bowlofspinach notes, when there is only one player it's really easy, and fun, to target what they are interested in.

Personally, I'm a big believer in story transparency and having good OOC convos regarding what the player (not just the character) is looking for helps me a lot and keeps that targeting. With one person the feedback loop is tight and frequent checks keep things moving in the direction everyone is cool with!

But that's just my experience :)
Aug 26, 2022 3:49 pm
Hi Amber,
From what I understand this thread matches your criteria: https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/21548/ It is Oddball's Introduction thread into Out of the Darst and into the night. (Screams Amongst the Stars) Adventure, here in GP.
It was created as introduction thread to allow this character to join the rest of the group, but has been running for a few weeks as a 1-on-1 between the PC and the NPCs. As you may read, it has played very well!

I have also run as DM, some long time ago, RL one-shots for one PC. Most of them worked great!

I think PBP works great for these games.
Last edited August 26, 2022 4:42 pm
Aug 26, 2022 3:51 pm
Some call those duets. Plenty of those happening here, though not all are D&D. I've played in a few D&D5e duets in the past, and am in the middle of DMing two, although we're currently on hiatus.

Yeah it's real interesting because you're only waiting for one other person, so it's a little faster-paced.
Aug 26, 2022 7:26 pm
Since this topic is already out there now, if anyone would be interested in GMing 1-on-1 for me (and me GMing a 1-on-1 for them once the one-shot I'm in right now wraps up, if they'd like that), drop me a DM. I'm not particularly interested in DnD as I already play that in my live play group but otherwise I'm pretty open to genres and systems
Aug 26, 2022 7:35 pm
This isn't exactly answering your question but I figured I'd throw it in :)

Are you more interesting in being the GM in this 1-on-1 or the player?

In case of the latter, you could consider doing a coop Ironsworn game (other systems are probably available), where both people are the GM and the player at the same time. It works pretty well and the system is easy to understand. It requires a bit of a different mindset though. It's kinda like you're both directors of a movie that you're making up on the spot.
Aug 26, 2022 9:52 pm
TheGenerator says:
This isn't exactly answering your question but I figured I'd throw it in :)

Are you more interesting in being the GM in this 1-on-1 or the player?

In case of the latter, you could consider doing a coop Ironsworn game (other systems are probably available), where both people are the GM and the player at the same time. It works pretty well and the system is easy to understand. It requires a bit of a different mindset though. It's kinda like you're both directors of a movie that you're making up on the spot.
I'll be the dm gm storyteller for it
Aug 27, 2022 9:39 am
Ah, gotcha.

In that case, I'd say brainstorm it with the player. Get some ideas together so you both get out of it what you'd like to.

It could be interesting to give the player multiple characters to play (if they are up for that). It gives the party some more options for different situations, and if one of them were to die, it doesn't stop the game. You can just continue the story and introduce new member along the way.
Aug 27, 2022 10:21 am
Given how hard the Action Economy can be on a single player in DnD I have often given them a powerful mount to help out (preferably not a massively intelligent one, since that can get complicated and result in them playing two characters (which is also fine, but a different effect)), or given them Legendary Actions (maybe Proficiency Modifier times) that they can use between enemies actions (and that therefore scale with the number of enemies).
Aug 27, 2022 12:27 pm
You can always keep fights difficulty adjusted to one PC, or add a NPC as friend/ally of the PC when truly required.

On the other hand, maybe is better to adjust PC paths according to the PCs class/style. For example, if the goal is the get the Sacred Sword fron the enemy's Castle, a Fighter or Barbarian would usually prefer to fight his way in, a Rogue would usually try to infiltrate without fighting, and a Bard would probably try to charm his way in. So, the PC shouldn't need to have a specific skill to succeed, but a couple/few options to move forward. It is a bit more work for the DM, but truly worthwhile.
Last edited August 27, 2022 12:44 pm
Aug 27, 2022 12:56 pm
Yeah. I'm thinking of giving their character an ally npc to go with them on their journey like a Samurai fighter with the knight background who also has squires that attends them to go along with them and make that character like their bodyguard and best friend since the character they are going for is an assimar princess even though I don't know what class they have chosen to play at but I'll be starting them out at level 5. I want to use the characters background and backstory to create an adventure like I am doing with my solo dnd game. It's up to the player where they want to start the game at though.
Aug 27, 2022 5:14 pm
I have played and GM a few 1on1 dnd games. Gave the player a sidekick from Tashas. Its an extra character, not as powerful as the main character, but still an extra hand for the player.
Aug 27, 2022 6:10 pm
I have several games going on, so.. too much on my table to commit to another game.
But, if you need someone to run an NPC for a scene (like the friend who dies, or even one of the bad guys), or something similarly short, do PM me.
Aug 27, 2022 6:42 pm
I've played in and run a bunch of duets and often use some techniques from Scarlet Heroes and especially the Fray Die.
[ +- ] Scarlet Heroes Duet Tweaks
Oct 9, 2022 9:14 pm
I've run quite a few duets. I usually sit down with the player and we talk about systems, genres and exactly what the player wants out of the games and character they will be playing. Once we get to rolling up a character that's when all the GM work comes in. I tailor adventures for one character. It never makes sense to use something like Keep on the Borderlands and use the material meant for 5 to 7 characters. I usually make the minion list with minimal hit points and damage. Next would be the challenge list (one step higher than minions), the underboss (two steps higher than minions), and the boss (3 steps higher than minions). Keep in mind that adversaries with higher experience can completely decimate beginning characters with one hit, so be fair, but also use some judgement here.

EX:
Fighter has 9 hit points and does 1d8+2 damage.
I would use some Kobolds or Goblins with 4 hit points, that do 1d2 points of damage. I'd send them in pairs or singly. I would also use the "Damage follows through" with adjacent opponents.

EX 2: Using the Fighter and Goblin from above.
Ragnar the Hackmaster encounters two goblins in combat. He loses initiative, but only gets hit once for 2 points of damage, leaving him 7 points. He hits for 8 points of damage. Each goblin has 4 hit points and they are adjacent to Ragnar. His damage follows through, so he gets to apply damage automatically to the next goblin in line, thus he kills two in one blow.

This allows Ragnar to continue unabated through the Goblin lair. He will also have to use his better judgement and decide when it's safe to run away.

Another benefit is to allow for First Aid. Only after the character has been injured, after the action is over, Ragnar is allowed to roll 1d6+1 to patch up his injuries. This works for low level characters, and higher level characters as well.

Just some suggestions I've used for successful duet play. Good luck!
Oct 27, 2022 9:46 pm
I have ran one before... It was interesting.. My player was a Gith Wizard roaming around in the underdark.
I kind of got frustrated with it. Game was on Discord and player always wanted to use his dice instead of the bots.
Never really rolled lower then a 15...

I would love to be a player in one. Give the DM (Almost) complete control on my character creation to help fit the game they want.
Oct 28, 2022 7:57 am
Smiley says:
and player always wanted to use his dice instead of the bots.
Never really rolled lower then a 15..
And that is why we use the forum and its dieroller - to keep everyone honest
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.