[Interest Question] Star Trek Adventures

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 13, 2022 3:23 pm
This is just a question, not quite an interest check.

I recently pitched a Star Trek themed Spelljammer game in an earlier thread, so I'm further wondering if people were wanting to play Star Trek proper, say, using Star Trek Adventures by Modiphius?
Sep 13, 2022 3:27 pm
I quite like Star Trek (mainly the TNG/Voyager/DS9 era), so I'd be potentially interested. Although I do want to reduce my games currently, not add to them...
I don't know if I'd want to play STA, though. The character creation seemed interesting when I did it the one time, but I think especially for Star Trek, I prefer something very rules light
Sep 13, 2022 3:44 pm
I’m interested in trying Star Trek Adventures at some point.
Sep 13, 2022 6:40 pm
I've been lurking for a while, hoping for a game to get into. I've been interested in STA for a while, and I've been loving the new Strange New Worlds series, so I'd like to give it a try if you start the game.
Sep 13, 2022 7:53 pm
I'm interested in a proper Star Trek game.
Sep 13, 2022 8:40 pm
I'm interested. I have the rule book but have not yet had a chance to play it. However, I do have a bit of experience with the 2d20 system from Modiphius' Dune RPG.
Sep 14, 2022 1:00 am
I'm not a huge fan of Mophidius' system for STA but it's tolerable. I'd be interested in playing. What type of setting, mission profile or era did you have in mind, BedzoneII?
Sep 14, 2022 1:11 am
Two more questions, for those who've chimed in as well as any others who might continue to comment on this thread:

If not STA, would you still want to play Trek using another Star Trek game system? The only other one I know is the FASA one from the 80s.

Otherwise, would you want to play Trek using a non-Trek specific system? bowlofspinach mentions above that they'd be more interested in a rules-lite system. (I agree the chargen in STA is enjoyable!) In which case there are a number of systems to choose from (whether rules lite or rules heavy), each with their own pros and cons regarding how well they can simulate Trek.

Witchdoctor, I'm nowhere near there yet, still thinking aloud about systems.
Last edited September 14, 2022 9:57 am
Sep 14, 2022 1:38 am
I’ve played the Star Trek RPGs by both Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, but neither system is really rules lite. I’d say they are middle of the road in terms of crunch.

LUG’s Icon System was decent. It can be a little wonky at times, but some would say it’s wonky in a very Trek kind of way. LUG produced a lot more books than Decipher (which means there’s more material to potentially use).

Decipher’s CODA System is, in my opinion, a better rules set, but Decipher published less books while they had the license (I think about nine total). Also, Decipher had the license recently enough to include information from Enterprise episodes in their books.

Unfortunately, I can’t say that I know much about the FASA version of the game.
Last edited September 14, 2022 2:01 am
Sep 14, 2022 1:59 am
I feel like as long as the game captures the feel of Star Trek — exploration, diplomacy, hopefulness, take your pick — I’d be happy to try any system. I’m generally a rules light person myself, but I find STA pretty interesting and I’d prefer that.
Sep 14, 2022 2:06 am
FASA's system fell into the mostly crunch category, being superficially similar in ways to Chaosium's BRP system. It used a percentile skill system and character generation could be a chore. I did like the 90s Trek games that did chargen in a fashion similar to Traveller where you followed a flow of life events to derive your final set of skills and skill levels.

I think the absolute crunchiest system I've seen Trek done in had to be the StarFleet Battles RPG version, Prime Directive. Man, that was dense...but you never lacked for detail. There's a GURPS port of Prime Directive and I've considered running that a time or two but: A) it's the Starfleet Battles Universe, not actual Star Trek & it's different enough that there might not be enough interest in that particular setting and B) it's GURPS and there's not a whole lot of interest in that particular system.
Sep 14, 2022 6:15 am
If I have space when it comes around I would be interested, though would need to refamilirise self with St lore. I briefly tries STA but didn't get too far into the system, but did like the char gen methods.
Sep 14, 2022 7:31 am
I would like to try STA but I'm fine with learning new systems. Rules light is good for pbp.
Sep 14, 2022 10:01 am
Oh wait thanks to Julius' reminder, I realise I actually own the Decipher books lol. Just never ever got around to playing it.

Thanks everyone for chiming in! This gives me food for thought about running a game.
Sep 15, 2022 2:11 am
StarTrek is something I've wanted to do for a while to be honest. I kind of had this thought in my brain of combining some of the old FASA stuff with the Moph rules.

There was a setting in the FASA game called The Triangle. The idea was it was kind of a neutral zone between the Feds the Klingons and the Romulans. The Orion syndicate was there as well. In my head it was kind of a wild west frontier setting in this relic of a space station.

Anyways this is just me prattling on. Carry on.
Sep 15, 2022 2:54 am
The Triangle was a real great setting for FASA's Trek, the Shackleton Expanse is the equivalent for Mophidius' STA. Both are a frontier style setting with unclaimed, unexplored space with an uneasy truce between a number of competing governments with conflicts, both overt and covert.
Sep 15, 2022 4:14 am
I remember that! (The Triangle)

And while I wasn't into SFB, I loooooved the Starship Tactical Combat Simulator as much as I hated the FASA RPG it was attached to.

For light Trek, I personally would consider Tricube Tales, Risus, Lasers & Feelings, some 24XX hack, or Fate Accelerated. I've found a couple of different unofficial sheets for the latter over the years which I think look pretty neat...

https://i.imgur.com/KKizMnT.png
https://i.imgur.com/aEUa430.jpg
Sep 15, 2022 5:01 am
Love those sheets! And yes, Lasers and Feelings is truly the lightest of the light, and I had great fun with it playing the voice of Majel Barrett as a PC.
Sep 15, 2022 5:20 am
I think L&F is great even for more serious Star Trek play. That was actually the first game I ran here on GP. That said, there looks to be a lot of interest for STA specifically
Sep 15, 2022 9:51 am
Playing star trek would be nice.

I agree with mentioned above 24xx or Fate Accelerated. Both rules will work nicely
Last edited September 15, 2022 9:53 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.