Drowned

load previous
Oct 17, 2022 7:31 am
Mahjid snarls at Mahsa's suggestion. Finally someone with a similar sense of cynic realism, the kind earned through endless campaigns and the despair that comes with surviving them. "We can die a fool's death as heroes here, or we can get to the heart of this cult and put a knife through it. This place is doomed anyway. Lead the way."
Oct 17, 2022 8:19 am
OOC:
I'm good! Thanks for the opportunity. Goodbye.
Oct 17, 2022 9:40 am
Overhearing the conversation, Devlin totters to Mahjid and Mahsa.
"I'm commin' with ya! Dis place's friggin' doomed!"

The Hounds of Divesse now split into two groups - one following Karras into the fray, while another one joins Devlin and prepares to flee the place.
OOC:
It would seem we have lost Karras. Since this would align with the story, I'd say the group can escape without a roll as he is taking the fight back to the Vassals, taking all of their attention.

There are a few of possible destinations the group can try to reach:
Temple of the Moon Beneath - The closest landmark from here, Delve would be of Resistance 10
Derelictus - Further than the Temple, but the characters will be able to heal much easier here, Delve of Resistance 15
Surface word - Taking the aqueducts all the way to the surface world would mean starting a whole new adventure, trying to get back to Spire and Heart. Drow characters would be highly endangered by this path.

Now since there is only 2 of you left in the Group, I would like to start a new recruitment, trying to get 2 more players into the group. Is this fine for both of you? I would probably run the recruitment once you manage to get to safety.
Oct 17, 2022 9:41 pm
OOC:
You can run both at the same time. Keeps us busy while someone new is recruited and we can meet the new character at the new place.
Oct 18, 2022 9:52 am
OOC:
Aye, I probably will, at least they will have the time to set the characters up.

Just to check - @Redwhippet do you still wish to continue playing?

Based on your reaction, I assume you are good, DarK_RaideR.
Oct 20, 2022 4:25 am
OOC:
Sorry something came up. This play by post thing is harder to keep up with than I first imagined. Definitely happy to continue playing. Let's get down into the heart. Do I need to roll anything to begin the delve?
Mahsa tying their hair back and checking over their leg further looks to Devlin, "Gather up who you can I know a way to the Temple."
Oct 20, 2022 9:44 am
Devlin nods and starts barking orders at those of the men who did not follow Karras. Soon a small group of warriors is created, cleaving through the chaos and rising water.

The journey is grueling, with multiple scuffles against the rising number of drowned undead and many a hound meets their death at the rusting blades of the Vassals. In the end though, the group finally slides down a part of the aqueduct and enters into the Aquifers.
[ +- ] Aquifers
Once the group enters the caves, a moment of temporary peace arrives, with the members finally having the time to catch their breath. Twelve survivors total, including Mahsa, Mahjid and Devlin, managed to get into the Aquifers. Many stop to tend their wounds for at least a little while, before continuing on their journey.
OOC:
Since you managed to save Devlin, you can now both include him as you Bond. A Bond is able to heal up to 1d8 Stress, remove Minor fallout or reduce Major fallout to Minor at the cost of 1d8 stress to the Bond. Bond are described in the Core rulebook on page 98.

I would strongly recommend having Devlin bandage Mahsa up as they will otherwise receive ongoing Blood stress. As for Mahjid, I will leave it up to you whether you wish to refresh with Devlin before going for the Delve or keep him for when you need him more.

You are now up for the following Delve:

The Doomed Waters
DOMAINS: Desolate + Wild
TIER: 1
STRESS: D4
RESISTANCE: 10
CONNECTION: There is something moving through the shadows here, a beast longing for blood and flesh of the passersby's. Kill it and the path shall be safer.
Oct 24, 2022 2:43 am
"Devlin, this leg needs immediate attention and I can't get to it on my own. If you want me to lead you through this mess you'll need to patch me up."
OOC:
So Devlin takes 1d8 stress to get rid of the fallout bleeding? It clears the limp also?
Oct 24, 2022 10:33 am
Devlin raises his head from helping one of his Hounds and shuffles to Mahsa. After looking confused for a little while, he does what every right soldier would do - splash some rotgut liquor onto the wound. As Mahsa screams in agony, he takes to bandage the wound.
OOC:
@Redwhippet the cost is 1d8 per fallout, so additional 1d8 would be incurred to Devlin if you want to clear the limp!

Rolls

Devlin - Stress - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Devlin - Fallout - (1d12)

(6) = 6

Oct 24, 2022 12:52 pm
OOC:
I will move you guys forward - feel free to include any additional actions in your posts! As for Mahsa - they no longer suffer from BLEEDING fallout!

The Doomed WatersTIER: 1
RESISTANCE: 10

CONNECTION: There is something moving through the shadows here,
a beast longing for blood and flesh of the passersby's. Kill it and the path shall be safer.

Sooner or later, the group has to move onward. Leaving the screams of battle behind them, the delvers enter the Aquifers - a series of dark, damp caves, irrigation canals and underground lakes. Soon the paths starts to branch out and meander. Some come back together while others end up as dead ends - or worse, as nests for things both foul and hungry.
What skills are the delvers going to use to orient themselves in this dark, nonsensical labyrinth?
OOC:
All right we have our first delve here! Feel free to come up with different ways on how to tackle this, you can find some inspiration below!

Listen to the sounds of the caves, avoiding the parts containing wildlife (Evade+Wild)
Simply test one path after another until you finally find the right one (Endure+Desolate)
Trust your delver experience to guide you (Delve+Desolate/Wild)
Find logic in the way the caves are organized, showing you a clear path (Discern+Desolate)
Oct 24, 2022 6:26 pm
Mahjid takes a moment to catch his breath from the chaos of a drowning Divesse, before the realization sets in of what lies ahead. Cunningness instinctively snaps out like a switchblade, but the gnoll understand this is no place to be navigated with sense or reason. Instead, he takes a few more deep breaths, as if in meditation, centering himself; simply let go, trust the waves and currents of this mad labyrinth and ride them like a fish instead of trying to swim against the river's flow.
OOC:
Not using the Bond just yet, gonna use the Delve skill for starters.

Rolls

Roll (Base + Skill) - (2d10)

(103) = 13

Stress that Delve! - (d6)

(6) = 6

Oct 24, 2022 6:47 pm
OOC:
That is a critical success! @DarK_RaideR can I get a 1d6 roll from you to see how much stress you deal to the Delve?
Oct 25, 2022 1:11 pm
The Doomed WatersTIER: 1
RESISTANCE: (10-6)=4

The Heart feels and the Heart gives. Mahjid takes to the front with such confidence that nobody dares to oppose, instead following the hound. They chose well and Mahsa soon confirms markings used by the faithful of the Moon Beneath to find their way through the Aquifers. The delvers are getting closer to sanctuary with every step.

And yet...

Dark shadows flick in the waters of the river the group follows. The Vassals, furious about the death of Sternoptyx, are in hot pursuit.
OOC:
Let's go for another round of the Delve, Mahsa has to act now as she is LIMPING and will thus need to resolve the situation! Once again I am including some inspiration below:

Keep away from the clutching hands of the submerged dead (Evade+Cursed)
Take a different path, getting away from deadly waters (Delve+Desolate/Wild)
Thin their numbers, hoping it will discourage others (Kill+Cursed)
Lead the Vassals to the lair of something even worse, hoping they will kill each other (Evade/Compel+Wild)
Oct 25, 2022 5:00 pm
OOC:
Gonna let Mahsa have a go
Oct 29, 2022 7:28 am
OOC:
Really sorry for the radio silence. I had a killer week at work and haven't made it to the forums, my apologies, struggling to keep up at the moment.
"Mahjid I'll catch you up, I know how to navigate these waters."

Mahsa waves the others on and watches them slip out of sight. Those in pursuit are in for a shock; there's something down here far worse than the Vassals. Mahsa looks to their bestial companion the boar like creature acknowledging Mahsa's intentions. They begin their descent into one of the aquifers longer tunnels that leads to a place normally avoided at all costs, making no attempt to conceal their path as they go.

Rolls

Base + Evade + Wild - (3d10)

(7810) = 25

Oct 29, 2022 7:38 am
OOC:
What I roll next I think depends on how risky the action was to begin with?
Oct 30, 2022 8:34 am
OOC:
Judging from what happened with my roll, you also got a 10 so it's probably a critical and you'll have to roll a d6 to cause Stress to the Delve, but let's wait for @seifi to confirm that first.
Oct 30, 2022 8:48 am
OOC:
Unless it's a risky action then the top roll is dropped? @seifi
Oct 30, 2022 2:03 pm
OOC:
Had a busy weekend myself, so no worries @Redwhippet! Ebb and flow, right?

I say we can let you decide!

If you are willing to make this a risky action (remove last dice rolled), I will say that you have also managed to create a CONNECTION (Core rulebook, pg. 102) as the Vassals and the beast killed each other!

If you keep it as Standard difficulty, that will mean you can roll 1d6 (instead of 1d4) and possibly finish the Delve, saving the group and getting into a safe Haven!
Oct 30, 2022 4:09 pm
OOC:
Ebb and flow indeed, just don't want to be letting anyone down. Let's establish the connection. Seifi what did you have in mind for the beast?
Mahsa and their companion slip through the beasts lair and out of a tight passage, Mahsa pauses for a second to look back on the underground lake. Ripples of the otherwise still water signal the beasts imminent arrival as the vassals flood into the chamber hot on the trail.

Rolls

Stress to delve - (1d4)

(4) = 4

load next

Thread locked