Ask Me Anything: Len

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

Sep 27, 2022 1:21 pm
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:
Name: Len
Pronouns: He/Him
RPG Interests: I've been using RPGs as a social lubricant and creative outlet since the late 80s, starting with whatever I could get my hands on (TMNT and Other Strangeness, Advanced Fighting Fantasy). A teacher showed us Traveller, and we played that for years. After a long hiatus I re-entered the hobby, playing mostly 5e D&D but also stumbling into a hodgepodge of other systems (Basic Fantasy, Cypher System, Mongoose Traveller, Troika!). Recently I have become interested in trying more OSR systems such as Forbidden Lands, The Black Hack, and Warlock!. I'm as much a sucker for settings as systems; my favourites include Dark Sun, Eberron, Ptolus, Traveller's Third Imperium, and the Lancer universe. I also really enjoy learning about the history of RPGs.
Non-RPG: Professional: Teaching computer science. Board Games: Catan, Magic: the Gathering, many more. Video Games: RTS (StarCraft), Grand Strategy (Civilizations), and Graphic Adventure (King' s Quest). Fiction: Dark Fantasy, Sword & Sorcery, and whatever genre Terry Pratchett's Discworld falls into. Non-Fiction: History, Biographies. Fandoms: Avatar:TLA, MCU, Star Trek, Star Wars. Non-Nerd Interests: Fatherhood, camping, hiking, woodworking.

Ask Me Anything.
This AMA will run until Oct 4 2022.
Sep 27, 2022 1:56 pm
Is there anything in Seattle that's better than Vancouver? Anything about Vancouver that's definitively better than Seattle?
Sep 27, 2022 2:09 pm
Are you going to run TMNT for Nezzeraj?
Sep 27, 2022 2:40 pm
What do you wish we'd talked about (but didn't) in our YouTubed conversation?

Len

Sep 27, 2022 3:06 pm
tibbius says:
Is there anything in Seattle that's better than Vancouver? Anything about Vancouver that's definitively better than Seattle?
Seattle > Vancouver: Your space needle is way better than our Harbour Centre. I'm not even sure if it's fair to compare them.
[ +- ] See for yourselves
Seattle < Vancouver: Our NHL team. Not that we're any good either, but we've been to (and lost in) the Stanley Cup finals three times now. The accompanying riots are always a treat.
[ +- ] Never Forget

Len

Sep 27, 2022 3:10 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Are you going to run TMNT for Nezzeraj?

Although I don't think I understood what a role playing game was at the time, we just made dozens of characters and imagined the stories they'd be in. I probably didn't miss out on much, the best thing about any Palladium product is making the characters, it is all downhill from there :D

Len

Sep 27, 2022 3:21 pm
Qralloq says:
What do you wish we'd talked about (but didn't) in our YouTubed conversation?
Yeah, it was a good conversation! We could have gone on for hours. I don't wish we had talked about any topic, really; it was the first in a series, so I was glad to have the mic and pass it on for other people to cover other topics. I think one topic that I could speak about with knowledge would be gaming with kids. I also enjoy talking about play by post ... theory? Is that a term? Like, how do you do dungeon crawls well in PbP? These type of games are prone to slowing down with all the transactions, getting group consent on where to go next, keeping a narrative through-line from start to finish, helping players even remembering where they've been in a big dungeon, etc. I just like talking about that stuff!

Also sports. We didn't talk about sports.
Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm
Quote:
Also sports. We didn't talk about sports.
No! You're poking holes into Q's totally original and new idea of "nerds and jocks might be different, you guys" 😱
Sep 27, 2022 6:32 pm
What blend of Civ do you play (III, IV, V, or VI)?

PDFs or hard copy?

What flavor of Trek is your favorite?

You mentioned that Palladium goes downhill fast after character creation. I have to say that I agree. The system mechanics need serious work, but building a character is fun!

Len

Sep 27, 2022 7:18 pm
WhtKnt says:
I have played 1, 2, 3, and 4. Probably played Civ 2 the most. I stopped playing the series because it is too time consuming. Ever be playing and say "just one more round before bed" and then the next thing you know it's 2am but Ghandi is nuking you and you just. can't. stop. now!

Lately I've been playing Polytopia on mobile. It is very basic compared to Civ but they've distilled it down to fun elements that still give me the Sid Meier's Civilizations vibe.

Also I've been eyeing this book - Sid Meier's Memoir! - might pick it up soon!
WhtKnt says:
PDFs or hard copy?
I love a hard copy book to read and enjoy, but PDFs are so much cheaper and take up so much less space. As a teacher, I get pretty easy access to printing, so sometimes I can have the best of both worlds. Bless those companies that offer the PDF when you buy the book, like Goodman Games.
WhtKnt says:
What flavor of Trek is your favorite?
I'm a little behind on my Trek, so I can't rate Discovery, Strange New Worlds, or Prodigy. From the ones I've seen I'd rank them like this:

1. Next Generation (Defines Star Trek for me)
2. Deep Space Nine (Great series, some amazing episodes)
3. Voyager (Underrated, I'd like to want to see every episode eventually)
4. Original Series (With all due respect!)
5. Picard (Some good ideas, but ...)
6. Lower Decks (Episodes felt formulaic & too fast-paced for me)
7. Enterprise (I did not finish this series on purpose)

As a nerdy kid growing up in a pretty rough school, Next Generation gave me hope that there could be a place where people could work together regardless of their background and united by their passions. I haven't found a place quite like this yet, but I generally like my Star Trek to be aspirational over realistic.
WhtKnt says:
You mentioned that Palladium goes downhill fast after character creation. I have to say that I agree. The system mechanics need serious work, but building a character is fun!
So true. The rules are always a mess. The art can be great too. I bought Rifts books even after I stopped playing just because I liked the art and the storylines.

Thanks for your questions, WhtKnt!
Sep 28, 2022 12:49 am
Len says:
WhtKnt says:
I have played 1, 2, 3, and 4. Probably played Civ 2 the most. I stopped playing the series because it is too time consuming. Ever be playing and say "just one more round before bed" and then the next thing you know it's 2am but Ghandi is nuking you and you just. can't. stop. now!

Lately I've been playing Polytopia on mobile. It is very basic compared to Civ but they've distilled it down to fun elements that still give me the Sid Meier's Civilizations vibe.
Gods, yes! For a peace-lover, Ghandi sure is quick on the trigger! I'll have to investigate Polytopia, thanks!

KCC

Sep 28, 2022 12:55 am
You mentioned that you’re moving from 5e to OSR these days! What have been some hits from the OSR for you?
Sep 28, 2022 1:19 am
Have you ever run any of Palladium’s settings using other rules sets?
Sep 28, 2022 3:31 am
So, you're telling me you have a job and a family and you GM and you have other interests as well? Where do you find the time?

Len

Sep 28, 2022 4:16 am
WhtKnt says:
Gods, yes! For a peace-lover, Ghandi sure is quick on the trigger! I'll have to investigate Polytopia, thanks!
You're welcome! And for the record, I pulled the trigger on the Sid Meier's Memoir audiobook, and it has been fantastic so far!

Len

Sep 28, 2022 3:00 pm
KCC says:
You mentioned that you’re moving from 5e to OSR these days! What have been some hits from the OSR for you?
So far I've picked up and read (or at least thumbed through) Agon, Basic Fantasy, Beyond the Wall, Dungeon Crawl Classics, For Gold and Glory, Forbidden Lands, Stars Without Number, The Black Hack, Troika!, and Warlock! So far DCC and The Black Hack are probably my favourites, but I haven't really dived deep into games with them yet.

But more than systems, I find the OSR discussions on gaming to be the most interesting stuff. The Questing Beast YouTube channel (made by Ben Milton, designer of Maze Rats, Knave) has a great recommending reading page that spans many different blogs, and puts out the Glatisant newsletter that keeps us up-to-date on goings-on in the OSR scene. I also listen to a podcast called Blogs on Tape that lets me read OSR blogs through my ears on my commute.

Len

Sep 28, 2022 3:05 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Have you ever run any of Palladium’s settings using other rules sets?
No, but that does sound interesting. I've foolishly let pass two games of Rifts: Savage Worlds without applying. That sounds great, and I'd like to run or play in a game like this one day. I would prefer to be a player first, as I haven't played Savage Worlds before.
Sep 28, 2022 3:08 pm
What widely well-liked movie/video game/rpg/novel/whatever else you can think of did you just really not like?
Sep 28, 2022 3:09 pm
Oh, and what was your favorite character you've seen someone else play in a GP game you were in?

Len

Sep 28, 2022 3:17 pm
callan says:
So, you're telling me you have a job and a family and you GM and you have other interests as well? Where do you find the time?
Callan, great to see you!

One way is to game with your family. I run a D&D game for my kids, and it's a really fun time. One of my sons also runs a game called "Fight!" It's his own rules system (I use that term lightly) and he runs it for the whole family, including his grandma and auntie! Before my kids were old enough to understand RPGs, I'd tell them interactive stories where they'd make up characters, and I'd tell them a story about them, letting them interject at important moments.

I also game at work. I have run a club for students called the "Social Gaming Club" since 2008 and gets funding for buying gaming books and materials!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.