Ask Me Anything: Dunko

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Nov 17, 2022 3:39 pm
SJoyner72 says:
What do you like most about PbP?
This is my first PbP community, so IDK if this is unique to the folk here or if it's a PbP thing but I really like that everyone is down to try so many different systems! So great to see a community of people who like to experiment and try to make things work.

I've also liked that I can take it on the go and just engage with ttrpg at anytime and anywhere.

I don't know that I'm very good at it--I've been feeling like my general style maybe isn't quite the play-by-post style that folks prefer--but I've been having a lot of fun and I hope those I've engaged with have had some good times!
Nov 17, 2022 4:42 pm
Dunko says:
I've been having a lot of fun and I hope those I've engaged with have had some good times!
Acker, at least, is pretty cool. I like the way you write her.

Danill, also, is an interesting fellow.
Last edited November 17, 2022 4:42 pm
Nov 17, 2022 4:49 pm
I also have no complaints about Brady
Nov 17, 2022 7:38 pm
Can confirm that Acker is a great character!

Why do you have a scottish flag as your profile pic? Any family ties?

You seem to prefer rules-light rule-sets. What are your thoughts on rules-light vs. rules-heavy systems?
Nov 17, 2022 10:14 pm
Scrol says:

Why do you have a scottish flag as your profile pic? Any family ties?

You seem to prefer rules-light rule-sets. What are your thoughts on rules-light vs. rules-heavy systems?
My dad and grandparents are from Scotland--well, he was born in Toronto, but lived in Neilston as a kid. I guess it's been a fond part of my life even though I'm fully American. Its just one of my earliest profile pics, online, and I still default to it sometimes. I either use it or a pic of my local prehistoric fish:
[ +- ] Dunkleosteus
Rules-light vs. Rules-heavy, my thoughts generally are "whatever you like to use!" There are a lot of fun things about cracking that big book open and making your way through all these cool, well thought out ideas the devs came up with. There was a time in my life in which I loved rules-heavy.

These days I really like systems that get out of the way, or encourage simple resolution. I like when a gaming session is quick and punchy. I think that can include rules-heavy systems, but I've more often found it in rules-light ones!
Nov 17, 2022 11:50 pm
Dunko says:

My dad and grandparents are from Scotland--well, he was born in Toronto, but lived in Neilston as a kid. I guess it's been a fond part of my life even though I'm fully American.

I feel a "So I Married an Axe Murderer" reference is in order here...
Nov 18, 2022 12:48 am
What draws you to the Dunkleosteus? You say fossils of it were found locally in your area? Do you like other marine-based prehistoric animals, too, or just the one home town buddy?
[ +- ] Dunkleosteus
Nov 18, 2022 4:18 am
Qralloq says:
What draws you to the Dunkleosteus? You say fossils of it were found locally in your area? Do you like other marine-based prehistoric animals, too, or just the one home town buddy?
[ +- ] Dunkleosteus
Yeah, to my understanding Dunkleosteus has only been found in a few places on earth including local shale, so I've been looking at his fossil and likeness my whole life. I like all sorts of prehistoric animals--more than dinosaurs even--but yes, none compare to Dunkleosteus for me!
Nov 18, 2022 5:39 am
Wait a second, is that where your name comes from as well?
Nov 18, 2022 5:48 am
Dunko says:
Yeah all the games are going great right now, but maybe it's mostly the people! I cringe as I type this, but I really think TTRPG is, like, an artistic outlet. But not as an acting or writing outlet--I'm actually not interested in either of those so much as they feel less collaborative. For me it's more like playing in a band! I love the fact that each person at the table brings their own interpretation and sound to the scene. It's very likely no two people will picture a description or scene exactly the same way, which is so cool to me. Oh you thought this was a hard rock scene, well they're over here bringing some disco drumming and it's totally changing up the sound! When everyone is feeding a scene, as a group, and just piling on cool ideas, it feels a lot like when you're playing music with others and everyone is in sync. Such a rush.
Completely agree. Nothing more awesome than a group that is in sync at the table.

Thanks for sharing! I'm always interested in hearing about people's games. Sounds like you have some great groups going.
Last edited November 18, 2022 5:48 am
Nov 18, 2022 1:47 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Wait a second, is that where your name comes from as well?
Yes it is.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.