Safety

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 15, 2022 1:57 pm
Safe Play - Lines and Veils, X-Card, Script Change

Please, everybody should subscribe to this thread to get notifications even while dealing with other things.

Before play, if there are any things you do not want to see in the game, make that clear here. You don't need to explain why, we will all respect your boundaries.

Let's keep this thread as a tidy list. Discussions about things (before or after adding them to this list) can go elsewhere, including in Private Message to the GM if needed.
During play, if anything unforeseen comes up and makes you feel unsafe or unhappy (maybe we forgot one of the things vetoed before, maybe recent trauma has left a raw spot, maybe you just never thought this would come up), speak up immediately and we will adjust what is happening to remove the discomfort. This is often called the X-Card, (or Script Change, which is a slightly more complicated and defined version thereof) you can read the details on those links, but basically it boils down to:

If unwelcome topics come up, tap the card, hold up your hands in and X or post "X-Card" to this thread and the thread where the offending material occurred ---as appropriate to the medium you are playing in--- and everyone involved in the scene will stop.

In Play by Post the game may have moved quite far before you read the problem material. If the situation is concluded, think about if you need to have it removed or if it is OK to just not go there again, include that fact in your objection. Either way, that scene will not continue till the problem is resolved.

Again, you don't have to explain why the subject is a problem, but I may ask you to clarify.

For instance:
Quote:
"Spiders crawl out from under your skin..."

"Um... X-Card."

"Sorry, forget that, that did not happen.
But to be clear: Is it /all/ 'spiders' that are a problem?
Or just that they were doing there? And is it only when it is /your/ skin?"
That way we can avoid the actual problem.

Sometimes you don't mind a thing happening, but just don't want to hear about it. Use the same mechanisms above, but ask that it be done 'off-screen', 'behind a veil', or just 'fade to black'.

Wheaton's Law always applies and makes all this work.
* Don't be a dick.
* Respect your fellow players.
* Be a Fan of the players' Characters.
Nov 15, 2022 1:59 pm
Adding a hard line:

No Time shenanigans. Time travel or time manipulation breaks stories, it is impossible to make sense or consequences when such things are on the table. No 'alternate dimensions' either, though there may be things that appear like them.

Relativistic Time Dilation is a thing, but our characters should not need worry about that too much since Jump Travel gets around that problem.
Nov 28, 2022 10:35 pm
As of this time, I have no limitations except for child abuse or exploitation. That's my hard line. Note that Cat might have different triggers, but be assured that those are hers and not mine. I will alert you if anything else crops up that sets off my warning bells, but generally, I'm pretty open in the name of role-playing.

If a romance should develop between Cat and someone else (or an NPC), I am comfortable taking it as far as decency permits, unless it makes someone else uncomfortable. We can fade to black if things get too racy.
Nov 29, 2022 4:18 am
WhtKnt says:
... child abuse ...
Of course, that's a given.
WhtKnt says:
... exploitation. That's my hard line.
Hard line as in: 'it does not happen in this universe' or as in 'it is not something the good guys do'?

If you don't mind defining that a bit more:
What about child labour?
Child labour with possible child endangerment?

We can leave it at anything involving children at risk if we don't define it further.
WhtKnt says:
... Note that Cat might have different triggers ...
But presumably those are things we (the players) want to see on screen? Seems like there is little point having pressure points on a PC and not pushing on them. But you can tell us as they come up.
Nov 29, 2022 6:28 pm
vagueGM says:
Hard line as in: 'it does not happen in this universe' or as in 'it is not something the good guys do'?

If you don't mind defining that a bit more:
What about child labour?
Child labour with possible child endangerment?
No problems with either of these. I'm thinking more of sexual exploitation. I don't feel that this will be an issue, but some darker stories might call for it. It's not so much an issue with it existing in-universe, but it would be sufficient to say that the villains are doing such, rather than going into detail.
Quote:
But presumably those are things we (the players) want to see on screen? Seems like there is little point having pressure points on a PC and not pushing on them. But you can tell us as they come up.
Oh, sure. Like, for example, Cat loves animals. Seeing animals in danger would be a trigger for her (not just nature being nature, but people putting them in danger). Same thing with minors being danger. She would definitely not be okay with that (while I'm fine with it, for story purposes).
Nov 30, 2022 6:06 am
WhtKnt says:
... thinking more of sexual exploitation ...
I figured as much, but needed to be sure.
WhtKnt says:
... not so much an issue with it existing in-universe, but it would be sufficient to say that the villains are doing such, rather than going into detail ...
Cool. So more of a Veil than a Hard Line. I don't expect this to feature in the story.
WhtKnt says:
... Cat loves animals. Seeing animals in danger would be a trigger for her ...
You will have a lot of say as to when you want your character to be triggered, though, and about how they react. Feel free to introduce animals into scenes --where it makes sense-- to help motivate Cat if you need to.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.