Chapter 20 - Alliances

Nov 27, 2022 11:21 pm
https://i.imgur.com/qb8Z1kH.jpg
The foursome ride home. Alana lives in a pretty neighborhood, in a pretty house.
Mom welcomes them, and asks about the new girl.

Despite Benny's (Alana's younger brother) vehement protests, they eventually manage to gather in Al's room behind closed doors.

https://i.imgur.com/0Fchx31.png
Logan, Johnny and Al sit in front of Beverly. They are still buzzing with adrenaline after the encounter with the worm thing.

It is now around midday.
Nov 27, 2022 11:23 pm
"Don't you think we should tell someone about that... cave, and that tunnel under the tree? I mean, some child might get hurt, down there... " Logan is saying.
Nov 28, 2022 12:13 am
Being the new kid, Bev is content, mostly, to listen to the others thoughts before chiming in--slightly against her nature.

She looks around Al's room, from her seat on the floor, as she listens to Logan.
OOC:
@bowlofspinach what does Bev see when she looks around?!
Nov 28, 2022 2:57 am
Dr_B says:
"Don't you think we should tell someone about that... cave, and that tunnel under the tree? I mean, some child might get hurt, down there... " Logan is saying.
It was getting soggy while I was trying to get out. Johnny answered Logan. I bet that without the Fulcrum and the worm-thing in there it'll fill up with water and mud like a giant CrawDad hole... We should keep an eye on it anyway.

What made you even want to go down there looking for something? Johnny asked Bev quizzically. Most people don't go crawling around in holes under trees without a pretty good reason. We got dragged into the middle of it by accident. What got you chasing monsters? Almost as an after thought, he grabbed one of Alana's old notebooks and a pencil and started sketching out a picture of the hollow under the tree and a trench-coated figure facing the worm-thing. Oh, an that reminds me... You found the monster first so you get to name it. he felt a bit like Alana as he put Bev on the spot like that but protocol is protocol, after all.
Nov 28, 2022 3:35 am
Bev blushes as Johnny addresses her. She's not used to extended attention.

"A girl told her mom she'd heard something talking down there. Something that sounded scary." Bev shrugs, nonchalant. "I knew I was looking for something other-wordly and that hole fit the bill. At first I thought it was like in Cujo, like how there's, like, a spirit or something that lives in a hole the dog sticks his head in, you know? So I was kinda scared but then I thought what would 'Mark Petrie' do, like in 'Salem's Lot."

She stares at Johnny. "Do you read Stephen King?"

"I've just known for awhile that there's something more in our universe--a feeling. Like things we can't see unless we look, you know? And I'm kinda, like, driven to see some of those things..."

She trails off as she thinks of a monster name.. "Can I name it Barlow? Like in 'Salem's Lot'?"
Nov 28, 2022 3:36 am
Bev gets up and tries to get a peek at Johnny's drawing, if he lets her take a look.

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 28, 2022 4:40 am
When they first arrive at the house, Al quickly heads into the kitchen to get a large lunchbox which she puts the worms into. She grabs some more dirt from the garden and puts it in there as well for them, then takes it and her friends to her room, with a brief stop in the bathroom to wash her hands.

Al's room looks like it would normally be pretty nice. There are photos on the walls and on her nightstand, showing her family. Her furniture is clearly very high quality, even if some of it is scuffed. However, it is an absolute mess. There are clothes and toys strewn all over the place. There are a few books lying around but they all seem to exclusively be about monsters and be full of illustrations rather than just text. Next to Al's bed, there is a small basket with pillows for Ripper to sleep in, but it looks pretty much untouched while there is dog hair all over Al's bed. It seems like that's where the puppy actually sleeps.

"I don't read anything," Al explains in response to Bev's question. "It takes too long and nothing happens when you're reading. Way more fun to go out and do things."

She watches with a frown when Bev moves to look at Johnny's drawing and then does the same, looking over his other shoulder. "Johnny can do actual magic with his drawings, you know," she comments.
Alana "Al" Patterson
Nov 28, 2022 4:45 am
Barlow's as good a name as any, I guess... he shrugged, turning the blue-lined notebook for Bev to see as he noticed her glancing between him and the drawing. Logan keeps Monster Hunter files and stuff at his house. I figured while I still remember everything clearly I'd make an illustration for his files. He handed over the half-finished sketch to the new girl to look at more thoroughly. Stephen King? I don't read much but I recognize the name from somewhere... he glanced around snapping his fingers trying to jar his memory. Cujo sounds familiar too.. where'd I hear that?? The light came on in his mind and in his eyes at the same time, Oh, I know!
There's a movie pre-release poster in my Aunt Mary's office with the name Cujo on it. It's coming out at the end of summer, I think! I don't know anything about it though...
OOC:
FYI, King's Cujo released on August 12, 1983. 1983 was a prolific year for King's movies with The Dead Zone and Christine coming out in successive months in ’83 followed by Children of the Corn in '84. Only The Shining, CreepShow and Carrie were released before Cujo.
Nov 28, 2022 7:06 am
Logan gets super excited at the mention of King. "I love his books! I read quite a few of them... My favourite has to be Carrie, though!" he looks at the other Hunters, with a look that says this was clear evidence that Bev should join them.

Then he goes back to the thought of the cave, his eyes going to the Fulcrum resting on the floor between them.
"So... What do you think happened down there? The Fulcrum dug that round tunnel, until it found the cave room? And what was it trying to do? We've all seen the roots and stuff... Like it was making a.. nest?"

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 28, 2022 7:10 am
"A nest?" Al asks, looking at him with mild amusement. "You think the fulcrum is an egg?"
Alana "Al" Patterson
Nov 28, 2022 12:51 pm
Quote:
FYI, King's Cujo released on August 12, 1983.
OOC:
Shes talking about the book! 😄
Nov 28, 2022 2:24 pm
Bev holds the drawing Johnny handed her almost tenderly. She wants to ask him more about his magic, but the conversation has moved on so she makes mental note to bring it back up later.

To the whole group she asks, "You've made it sound like this, Fulcrum(?), has 'done' stuff in the past; what else do we know it can do?"

Yeah, that's right, we.

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 28, 2022 2:32 pm
"It already made a different monster once before," Al says, annoyed to have her comment completely ignored. "And we defeated it!"
Alana "Al" Patterson
Nov 28, 2022 2:58 pm
"But I mean, was the other monster guarding a nest too?"

Bev asks, but her eyes are still fixed on the drawing in her hand.

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 28, 2022 3:03 pm
"No, it was eating cats and wrecking a house before we stopped it." Al leans over to try and see what's on the drawing as well.
Alana "Al" Patterson
Nov 28, 2022 4:13 pm
Bev holds the drawing so Al can more easily see it.

"Assuming it is an egg, what do you think this Solomon guy would want with it? What's he want to hatch? I mean, it seems like the Fulcrum wants to hatch on it's own anyway?"

She also makes a face at hearing it was eating cats.
Last edited November 28, 2022 4:13 pm

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 28, 2022 4:16 pm
"Well, we got the fulcrum by completing this treasure hunt set up by a different monster hunter after he died," Al explains. "And he said that it contains Solomon's power and that's why we have to keep it away from him." She looks at the drawing, recognizing the scene from before, and Bev in it. "I don't think it's an egg. That was Logan's silly idea!"
Alana "Al" Patterson
Nov 28, 2022 4:25 pm
I don't know about it being an egg but it does bring to life stuff it's around. he had to disagree with Bev's assessment. Its made two monsters, at least, and deformed an old boot of mine. Maybe it makes its own guardians though... Ramon, the old sailor who had the Fulcrum before us, had it hidden but it didn't make monsters then. Unfortunately, he didn't leave us the secret to that particular trick. He took the notebook back from Bev and Alana to finish the illustration. As it filled in under his pencil he thought it looked like the cover of a Scholastic Book Fair horror novel.
Nov 28, 2022 5:13 pm
Bev is visibly disappointed at having to give the picture back.

She gets a faraway look regarding Johnny's statement regarding 'bringing to life.'

"How does something, bring life to something. I mean, what even is life...?" before existential dread sets in further she changes topics.

"So, no offense, we don't really know much, right? How do we learn more about it?" She looks at each in turn.

Alana "Al" Patterson

bowlofspinach

Nov 28, 2022 5:19 pm
"I have prepared a spell," Al immediately exclaims excitedly. "It's a divini... divan... a truth-telling spell." She still can't get the word Divination right. "We're just waiting for the last ingredient we ordered to arrive and then I'll be able to find out all we need about the fulcrum and how to destroy it!"

Al grins proudly, looking between her three friends but especially focusing on Bev, clearly expecting an awed reaction at this plan of hers.
Alana "Al" Patterson
load next

Thread locked