[OPEN] Post-Punk Cosmic Demon Hunters (Cortex)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCortex PrimePrivate1 / dayDunko
The Hook -

You're an avant-garde post-punk band traveling the world on your own dime in the year 1979. But that's just your "day job." Between shows you and your bandmates battle the Breakthroughs--interdimensional creatures that gluttonously consume human emotion. Using the power of your emotive underground rock you, quite literally, blast these vampiric demons back to the plane from whence they came.

https://i.imgur.com/TuQkXaQ.png

System -

We'll be using Cortex Prime, and I'll have the mods and dice ratings on Character Generation Info section of the Game Page. If you don't know, it's a dice pool system where you roll a pool, take two dice to be your total and a separate third die to state the effect your effort has.

It's a narrative system though, so we'd try to only roll when asked for! It's also pretty simple to use, at it's core, and the link below perfectly shows what the game is:

Link to Cortex Prime's Primer

Tone and Style -

The goal is to have a game of inter-PC drama (bands relationships can be tough, ya know), gonzo Cthulhu-like investigation, musical showdowns, and exaggerated fiction in a monster of the week format. PCs will battle each other via RP and Contests, and they'll battle monsters who make them feel feelings via Tests and Challenges. Oh, and of course the band will need to perform at least at the beginning of each episode.

We're going to be focusing on character emotions and relationships--which will be trait sets in the game. So character interaction is a must or it doesn't really work.

I'm going to shamelessly employ T.V. style framing devices--references to camera, etc.--and focus on scenes. That's the plan anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/JKYHazN.png

Who's Welcome -

I'm welcoming players of any experience level. The system can be a little complicated at times, but it's not too hard to explain.

All marginalized groups and persons are welcome. Characters in this game world specifically and explicitly don't judge each other based on gender, race, orientation, preferences, physical ability or appearance and the same is expected of the players.

Frequency and Length -

I'm planning this as a test run. This game idea is intended to be episodic, so we'd do 1 episode (the Pilot) and we'll see how it goes. I can imagine it taking around three months (including the collaborative character creation) if we keep a steady posting pace. BUT, I think that length can only be hit if our posting frequency is consistent. I'm asking for minimum 1 post a day, excluding the weekends--you don't have to post on weekends.

Applying -

If you're interested, respond to this post. Mention what instrument your character would play, and how other bandmates (i.e., other PCs) would "see" them, whether it's truly how they are or not. Remember, you'd be in your early 20s, and a member of a fledging but super cool band.

I'm looking for 3-4 players.

https://i.imgur.com/6UVu2pC.png

Thank you for your time.

Dec 4, 2022 4:18 am
Ask questions and apply below:
Last edited December 4, 2022 4:22 am
Dec 4, 2022 7:17 am
Argh, this is really tempting. I'm not sure about the whole punk band thing but everything else sounds perfect...
Dec 4, 2022 6:29 pm
I've heard great things about @Dunko as a GM. I've long had a wish to play a game exactly like this. I have played Cortex Prime and would love to play it again. So many boxes checked.

I'm in a metric ton of games, and while I have capacity, I would defer to players who are not so rich with great games already.

That being said, I picture the one serious musician (guitar player) in the band caught in the punk lifestyle he hadn't imagined and trying to keep the band on track while the others focus on demons and partying.
Dec 4, 2022 6:52 pm
Quote:
I've heard great things about @Dunko as a GM
After playing with him in two games, I'm super interested in seeing him as a GM, so that's one of the big reasons I'm interested in this game. The others are Cortex and lots of interpersonal drama.

Okay, I am going to make an official application for this. I'd be mad at myself if I didn't! For my character, I'm thinking of a drummer, the youngest member of the band, who seems to be in the whole band business mostly for fame, success and admiration.
Dec 4, 2022 7:00 pm
I can speak for Dunko as a great GM!
Dec 4, 2022 7:10 pm
seconded, Dunko runs awesome games! jump in, people!
Dec 4, 2022 7:13 pm
Thirds! I'm in a couple of his games. Dunko has some mad skills at being a GM.
Dec 4, 2022 9:31 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Argh, this is really tempting. I'm not sure about the whole punk band thing but everything else sounds perfect...
Post punk! Talking Heads, Devo, Suburban Lawns, B-52s, Television, Siouxsie and the Banshees! I considered going emo 😅, but thought '79 would be cooler.

Essentially New Wave.
Last edited December 4, 2022 9:35 pm
Dec 4, 2022 9:36 pm
Ah yes... All those bands that I know. Of course
Dec 4, 2022 9:45 pm
I’m intrigued by both the system and the setting. I’ve been interested in playing a Cthulhu in modern day type game (like Delta Green) and I really like dice pool mechanics though I’ve never played Cortex.

Here’s a character idea:
A young southern woman who grew up singing gospel and church choirs (ie Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton) but who never clicked with the gender roles/expectations of her community. Maybe, her faith was also shaken by a brush with some Cthulian horror? She left her rural community, chopped off her long hair, and went to the big city to find a new music scene. She can play guitar and piano but her voice rings loud as dinner bell calling the coal miners home from work.
Dec 4, 2022 9:59 pm
Definitely feel free to pass me over for someone who's at all familiar with the core component of the game, Dunko 😄

With everything else it has going for it, I still couldn't quite keep myself from throwing in an application but in all honesty, I am probably a bad fit for the game. Do definitely keep me in mind for when you decide to run something else interpersonal drama heavy
Dec 4, 2022 10:45 pm
Thanks all for the kind props! It means a lot coming from folk whose characters and games I enjoy--some as a lurker some as a participant.

Many cool character ideas already!

@RogertheShrubber very cool idea! Just to make sure expectations are lined up: this is definitely going to be more Fate of Cthulhu meets Scott Pilgrim than, say, a traditional mythos game. In fact, the only connection I'm making is cosmic creatures. Cosmic creatures that suck emotion, and only music can save the day!
Dec 4, 2022 10:48 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Definitely feel free to pass me over for someone who's at all familiar with the core component of the game, Dunko 😄
Totally get it! Gonna keep this up for a bit while I get game forum and trait sets together.

If it does work out for you, fear not for there shall be a mood board with some choice live performances from bands of the era!
Dec 5, 2022 1:28 am
Dunko says:
… this is definitely going to be more Fate of Cthulhu meets Scott Pilgrim than, say, a traditional mythos game. In fact, the only connection I'm making is cosmic creatures. Cosmic creatures that suck emotion, and only music can save the day!
Ah, okay. So less King in Yellow, more Yellow Submarine. I think country vocalist who heads to the big city and falls in with a bunch of post-punk/new wave musicians might still work.
Dec 5, 2022 2:35 am
If ANYONE can counter the Call of Cthulhu, it's Dolly.
Dec 5, 2022 3:58 am
I cannot resist the pull of this. Great pitch, Dunko!

Lee Butler plays bass. He's a tall, skinny drink of water with a drug problem and played in a punk band until things ended badly. Some of them boys want him back now that they've reformed, but Lee's got bigger and better fings to do now, trading his leather vest and leather pants for peacock hair, a pair of earrings, makeup and more ruffles than a party-size bag of chips.

Butler stands ready to New Wave it up and fight the fuck out of demons if you'll have him.
Dec 8, 2022 10:12 pm
OK, I'm gonna send out invites (to all folk who expressed interest here) this evening or tomorrow to see if we can get this rolling! Stay tuned, and we'll see if we can make this happen. Thank you.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.