Chapter 21 - Hunters in the Night

load previous

Logan Henry

bowlofspinach

Jan 8, 2023 8:03 pm
OOC:
Wait, actually, Logan still has his spirit boosted, so it's a D6, not a D4!

Is Unshaking done with the Wound penalty? If so, this still fails. But at least not critically anymore thanks to Johnny's help
Logan Henry
Last edited January 8, 2023 8:05 pm

Rolls

Correct Die - (1D6, RA)

(4) = 4

Jan 8, 2023 8:12 pm
OOC:
alas, yes: Logan still rolls Spirit at -3 - but as you say, not a snake eyes, phew.

over to Johnny in the magic circle - who's just seen first Alana, then Booger arrive close to him, Sol, Chet and Snake (on the bike).
Snake is Distracted, Booger is Distracted and Vulnerable. Solomon has the Fulcrum solidly in his hands.
Jan 8, 2023 8:32 pm
Solomon thinks he has the upper hand and Johnny thinks it's time to finally turn that tide. While everyone else is distracted by the chaos of Eddard, Booger and the like, Johnny raises the crowbar to strike! But he's not aiming for Chet, Snake nor Solomon, as much as he'd like to, but at the Fulcrum in Solomon's hand attempting to send it sailing towards the ruined gazebo with a mighty swing...
OOC:
I'm going to guess it's an Athletics attempt using Called Shot but I'll let DR_B assess the penalty and roll straight.

Using Alana's offered Bennie.
Last edited January 8, 2023 9:25 pm

Rolls

Athletics* - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (5) = 5

Fighting - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (4) = 4

Fighting - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (3) = 3

Jan 8, 2023 8:54 pm
OOC:
I would say a called shot with a Fighting roll, as he is actually trying to hit a specific thing. Not easy, in the hands of an opponent.
[ +- ] Called Shots
The rules for hitting an Item give the example of something the size of a pistol, that could apply here, with a -4 penalty.

Reroll Fighting at -4 , and hope for an ace or two!
Jan 8, 2023 8:57 pm
"Come on, Johnny!" Al shouts when she sees Johnny raise the crowbar. "Kick his ghostly butt!"
OOC:
Offering you my last Benny for a reroll in case you need it
Jan 8, 2023 10:07 pm
Bev's head is spinning from, what she's sure is, her concussion and the weird freaky scene playin' out.
OOC:
...rolling requested Smarts...

Rolls

Smarts (-1 Wound) - (1d8-1, 1d6-1, RA)

1d8-1 : (2) - 1 = 1

1d6-1 : (3) - 1 = 2

Jan 8, 2023 11:00 pm
Bev is too busy following all the fighting around her to notice anything out of the ordinary.

Johnny swings at the fulcrum, but not fast enough for Solomon - he sees it coming, and he moves the precious artifact out of harm's way, glaring at the attacker.
OOC:
-Bev (1 wound)
-Eddard +1d Spirit
-Booger (vulnerable, distracted)
-Logan (Shaken, 3 wounds) +1d Spirit
-Johnny

-Alice (1 wound, ignores)
-Snake (distracted)
-Solomon
-Alana
-Chet
Jan 8, 2023 11:16 pm
"HEY!" she shouts, pointing, "that fire is not real! He walked right through it!" she sees her opportunity and leads her bike in a fast charge, gaining more and more speed standing on the pedals, and aiming straight at Solomon, now she sees no fire barrier concealing him.
The others see her passing through the fire unharmed, and the second she does, the fire illusion disappears for all.
OOC:
Riding check, opposed to Athletics if Solomon dodges

Rolls

Athletics* - (1d10, 1d6, RA)

1d10 : (8) = 8

1d6 : (64) = 10

Jan 8, 2023 11:23 pm
Alice rides with the wrath of a tornado, straight to the sinister opponent. Solomon sees her coming and smiles. Instead of getting out of the way, he takes one step closer, preparing to collide!

By the time Alice realizes something's not right, it is too late to break. She impacts at full force against the man, with a violence that would send anyone flying from the collision. Instead, Solomon barely moves, his malevolent smile never for an instant leaving his lips.
Alice's bike bounces against him like against a wall, falling and sending Alice to the ground.

The hunters gasp at the uncanny scene.

https://i.imgur.com/f2cohXO.jpg
full size map
Jan 8, 2023 11:30 pm
Snake, toadie
Snake revs the bike, "come on, Chet. Time to go!" he says.
OOC:
Snake HOLDS his action

-Bev (1 wound)
-Eddard +1d Spirit
-Booger (vulnerable, distracted)
-Logan (Shaken, 3 wounds) +1d Spirit
-Johnny
-Alice (1 wound, ignores)

-Snake (distracted) HOLD
-Solomon
-Alana
-Chet

Solomon Black

Dr_B

Jan 8, 2023 11:49 pm
Solomon Black
A terrible wind rises as Solomon lifts the Fulcrum to his chest. The skies themselves seem to react, dark clouds gathering at unnatural speed over their heads.

An expression of ancient, uncontainable greed turns his face into a mask, as the fulcrum shines like you have never seen it shining before. Strange dark particles fly all around Solomon in a twirl.

"Centuries, I have waited for this power. Concealed from me. But my search is over." as he talks (his voice becoming deeper until it is a low rumble), a terrible transformation seems to happen, his image changes as a darkness pervades him and grows over Solomon and the Fulcrum alike, leaving his eyes glowing brightly like a malevolent beacon.
[ +- ] Solomon transforms
The figure then turns his head in the direction of the three bullies.

Finally, the twirling shape of darkness extends both arms high.
OOC:
The Fulcrum increases Solomon's magic powers greatly. Multi-action to cast two spells.

Rolls

Spellcasting, Wild +4 fulcrum -2 multi - (1d12+2, 1d6+2, RA)

1d12+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

1d6+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Spellcasting, Wild +4 fulcrum -2 multi - (1d12+2, 1d6+2, RA)

1d12+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

1d6+2 : (65) + 2 = 13

Jan 9, 2023 12:19 am
The moment Solomon's evil gaze touches the three bullies, their eyes start shining too.

An instant after that, as the impossible figure stretches its arms rolling blobs of black fog, as black as the darkest ink, emerge from Solomon's core, expanding rapidly like a living thing and enveloping the hunters, and seemingly the entire world, into an impenetrable night.

The darkness seems to muffle sounds too, as the Hunters hear each other's gasps and shouts of surprise as if through a thick curtain.

Voices like dreams come and go, making it difficult to understand their source.
[ +- ] Voices
The voices recede, vanishing in one -or many- directions.

The hunters are left with the sound of wind, and that of their own distorted voices.
OOC:
combat is over. The hunters are in pitch darkness, their enemies leave the scene unimpeded.
Jan 9, 2023 12:26 am
OOC:
Oh boy
Al is eager to fight and to try and hurt Solomon where the others failed. Until the whole world suddenly vanishes. And she's all alone in darkness.

"Johnny?" she whimpers quietly, hoping he is still nearby, even if she can't see him. She extends her arms, feeling around herself for anything as tears rise in her blind eyes. "Johnny, are you here? I'm scared."
Jan 9, 2023 2:41 am
As the wind picked up and Solomon transformed, Bev shut her eyes tight and held her hands over her ears. The loss of balance causing her to fall on her side and off her bike.

Please don't die, please don't die, please don't die, she chants to herself.

The distortion of voices freaking her out more, Bev shouts into the darkness, to no one in particular. "Are we dying?!"
Jan 9, 2023 2:50 am
It's not real. . Johnny calls out. it's like the fake fire from before just stronger.. He was fairly certain that was the truth of it anyway. I'm right here, Alana. Not going anywhere without you.. He reached his hand out in the direction he last remembered her being white trying to steady his mind against the weirdness around him. Try to fight the darkness with your minds. If Chet and his goons can see us, it can't be real. It's fake just like Solomon.
Jan 9, 2023 4:15 am
Johnny's and Al's hands connect and immediately she grabs on to his.
"Johnny?" she asks again and when he confirms its him, she crawls closer to him and wraps her arms around him. She holds on tight to him as he feels her crying softly.
Jan 9, 2023 7:24 am
"Bev? Is that you? I... I don't think we're dead. I can still touch... The grass... My face... No: I think we're blind..." Alice chimes in from somewhere.

Eddard Linderman

Dr_B

Jan 9, 2023 7:28 am
Eddard Linderman
"Talk to me, kids. I think I can find where you are. Is Logan still down? Where is he?"

Logan

Dr_B

Jan 9, 2023 7:30 am
Logan
A fainter voice.
"I'm here... Took quite a beating though. This hurts too much to be dead... Uhnnnn..."
Jan 9, 2023 1:26 pm
Bev sits up on her knees. With a shaking hand she reaches up and yanks her lowbeam chord--which turns on her gadget's 'normal mode.'

Please work, she thinks, hoping to see the light.
Last edited January 9, 2023 1:26 pm
load next

Thread locked