11. The Council of Speakers

load previous
Jan 8, 2023 9:50 pm
Rayne, who had been leaning on the wall as the speakers gossiped and discussed politics, stood straight as the duergar started to talk. After delivering the message, Ranye says "What purpose then is your message, Duergar? If the mighty Xardorok was as strong as you seem to think why are we being warned and not already conquered? Surely you must expect something from us. If you are not but mere dwarves, then what business do you have with the skylands?"
Last edited January 8, 2023 9:51 pm
Jan 9, 2023 12:41 am
In the month or so following Anders' death, Okto tried his best to retain his outwardly friendly and happy-go-lucky exterior, but every day the bags under his eyes grew deeper and his thoughts became heavier. His young but hearty laugh became a hesitant chuckle.

He was grieving the friend he had lost, certainly, but the old grump never let Okto get that close to him anyway. Bells and Zin grew increasingly... close to each other every day, and Rayne had his Huskies. But after his parents abandoned him, his ship captain's death, Eva's murder, and Anders' sacrifice, it felt like Okto's connections to the world were dwindling. So, like any rational person, when he felt distant and unconnected from the world, he began to distance and unconnect himself.

Okto remained loyally at the side of the Charms as they made their way to and through the Council, but remained a quiet sentinel amongst the Speakers. Okto smiled at Bells' comment about Oarus, but didn't feel anything when he looked at the man. Well, actually, when they locked eyes and Oarus nodded to him there was a spark somewhere deep inside, but it felt like trying to light a hooded lantern in hazy, midnight rain.
OOC:
I know all this ^ is kinda heavy, so if anyone would like me to pivot away from these kinds of descriptions then please let me know and I will do so, no worries. But I'm just trying to get in his head again after so long away from the game, not every post will be so doom and gloom lmao
Okto nodded to Rayne's line of questioning, the duergar's disdain for the surface world was clear, therefore their motives for desiring to conquer the Ten Towns were anything but. Okto's hand crept to his warhammer's hilt, but stopped there.

Speaker Duvessa Shane

Adam

Jan 9, 2023 7:28 am
OOC:
Don't pivot away from those posts, aqua. I really enjoy those introspective posts.
Dsquid says:
"What purpose then is your message, Duergar? If the mighty Xardorok was as strong as you seem to think why are we being warned and not already conquered? Surely you must expect something from us. If you are not but mere dwarves, then what business do you have with the skylands?"
"My purpose was to carry out my orders and deliver the message. I expect you to listen."

Duvessa pinches the bridge of her nose in frustration at the Duergar sending possibly the least effective diplomat in the history of Faerun. She smiles at the literal-minded duergar.

"Presumably, person who gave thee order hoped to achieve something and that thy message might influence events?"

Duvessa says it in a schoolmaster's tone, as though trying to gently coax a particularly dim pupil towards a conclusion.

She gestures towards Rayne.

"Consider my colleague's questions from Grandolpha Muzgardt's point of view. What is her purpose, what does she expect from us?"

The useless emissary is silent.

"O-kay. Perhaps purpose of message is to give us time to prepare defences? Perhaps that?"

The emissary snorts derisively at the idea.

"The skylanders cannot resist. All shall be crushed beneath the bootheel of the conquering duergar."

"O-kay. Not that... So the purpose was...."

More silence.

"Perhaps it is to destroy war machine in citadel afore it can be released? Perhaps this will foil Mighty Warlord Xardorok Sunblight's plans, and thy people will not venture out?"

The duergar gives a grunt, accepting the possibility.

"...and perhaps she sent thee here to tell us how we might gain access?"

"The password?"

Duvessa nods encouragingly.

"Grandolpha Muzgardt has true duergar, loyal to our ideals, at the gates. The password is dûrmgrist."

"...and..."

"...and...

...and...

...and you will gain entry and speak to Grandolpha Muzgardt directly!"

"Your people don't have much experience with diplomacy, do they, emissary? You will lead way to citadel?"

"I have never been to Sunblight's citadel. The message was carried to me by the deep ways. I am to be a prisoner of war until our mighty armies...."

"...crush us under bootheel. We got that.

To recap. You believe that we are to journey to Sunblight's citadel, give password at gates, meet with Grandolpha Muzgardt, destroy war engine. But you don't have first idea how we get there?"

The duergar nods curtly, not recognising the sarcasm.

Duvessa raises her eyebrows at the Charms, wondering whether anybody else has any questions for the dim messenger.

Speaker Duvessa Shane
Jan 9, 2023 4:21 pm
Duergar. It is amazing that they sent an emissary, an event nearly unheard of. But their obedience to the point of negligence is almost commendable. Almost.

Leaning towards Speaker Duvessa, Rhoqium whispers to her, "Perhaps there is some knowledge to be found in the tomes my mentor had collected. Alas, I have not the magicks that would divine the citadel."

With this, he looks back to the Charms. They had a certain knack, according to hearsay, for finding and handling matters such as this. They were no army, but they were a capable group that could likely find the citadel. But as he gazes across their faces, he sees something he had not expected. From their reputation, they were a group of great warriors and diplomats, as skilled with the sword as with the tongue. But he sees sorrow... pain. Not the arrogance he would have expected, had they been closer to his own kind.
Jan 14, 2023 12:12 am
Bells flinched at the announcement of a threat looming over the Ten Towns due to Duergar conspiracy. It wasn't fear that smacked the bard across the face leaving her stunned with a tongue stilled to silence but guilt.

Oh, the Charms had had advanced warning but after Anders death, the will to further investigate had been blunted. Time spent mourning while affirming love and life had seemed the new priority but because of that delay, a crisis situation now existed. Maybe Bells could forgive hours lost to tears with her face buried in Timber's heavy coat but it was harder to justify the time spent in Zin's arms that was so much more than comfort.

Now there was only days before an eminent attack. Not enough time to travel to Zin's friend for possible helpful information or confirm, on an outside possibility, that Kelvin 's Cairn might be where the attack originates. That now obvious crucial piece of evidence the Duergar battle had produced had more than one X marked. Should the lot of them split to ensure the correct spot was picked or take a gamble to stay together? Would any less than full strength in numbers allow the Charms to shut down a doomsday weapon? Bells couldn't take another jingle being silenced even if it had been off key.

I might be in possession of information that could prove itself useful. Let me consult with my associates. The speaker rose from her chair beckoning the Charms to join her with a couple of crooked fingers.

Whispering to those gathered, Does everyone agree the most likely scenario is that Sunblight's Citadel is likely one of the places marked on the map found on the Duergar? If so, do you think it most likely in the mountains by the Spine or the Thorns? The wizard that was burned certainly thought something worthy of investigation was located at over here. The bard pointed to the mysterious spot circled on the crude map. In my less than extensive experience, wizards tend to guard their secrets jealousyly but perhaps this Rhoqium the Purple would have insight to his colleague's intentions. Let's see if he has any answers. [/b]
Jan 14, 2023 3:09 am
Zin rubbed his chin as Bells reviewed the map. The wood elf nodded, pointing at the X by the spine. I believe this would be the Citadel. If we do want to face this threat, perhaps our next step is to locate the weapon the… Zin gave a furtive look at Bells …seer gave us in Caer Dineval. As the map came from the sons of Xardorok, perhaps this… Zin pointed at the X on the thorns. Is where the blade is hidden. Perhaps the wise one would know more of this blade?
OOC:
From the prophecy of the lady that Rayne smooched :)
Quote:
Xardorok is clever and has researched his engine's weaknesses. He sent his sons to the Caves of the Forgotten Blade to seek out an ancient sword which could threaten their machine. But Durth and Nildar knew not the blade's history, of its forging in the battle of Redwaters, or the god to whom it was dedicated. Moreover, they knew not the shrine's prayer which would cause the forgotten blade to reveal itself beneath the cave's ice.
Full prophecy
Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm
Rhoqium coughs as the awkward silence falls, with the Charms seeming to know more than anyone else but also not sharing with the Council of Speakers.
Jan 27, 2023 5:52 am
Bells looked gratefully over to Zin as the full picture clicked into place as the rogue reminded the speaker of prophecy while she gazed at the map. Where was not a question that needed answered. But if the creator, himself, had sent his own sons to find a sword then it would be foolish to disregard his concerns. But even with research, Xardorok had fallen short on the piece's history along with the specific song to retrieve it. Could, as Zin suggested, the Wise One help with such knowledge? Could Rhoqium be trusted? Could any of the speakers? A cough interrupts her memoriesl of that long ago night when those that pretended to serve chose to betray.

Bells realized she may be allowing smoke from another fire to cloud her vision as she held information like a fat man would hoard his sweet treats. Empires like Bells' father's certainly collapsed with trust being granted to the wrong people but wasn't there an equal danger in trusting no one? Everyone in the room was equally in danger of destruction so if this wizard could provide no answers then someone else might.

I believe myself and the Charms have knowledge of a credible prophecy regarding the location that the Duergar speaks. But entry is not the only problem to overcome. Apparently, this doomsday device, that will be used against each and everyone of us, is particularly susceptible to a certain sword. Forged in the Battle of Redwaters before being placed in the Caves of the Forgotten Blade, this blade may hold the key to overcoming this threat. Does anyone know of this legend?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.