Need 5 players to practice run my GenCon game

load previous
Jul 28, 2016 2:51 pm
I might have one more person. I'll ask them.
Jul 28, 2016 5:31 pm
Got a third via Twitter. Just need 2 more.
Jul 31, 2016 4:22 am
Just a reminder that I need 2 more people.
Jul 31, 2016 7:08 am
So, are we using a particular technology to do the webcam/voice stuff? Skype? Google Hangouts? Roll20? Or is there actually a video conferencing software called VOIP that I'm just not hip to?

I guess more importantly, if we're unable to drum up another player, do you still want to run it?
Jul 31, 2016 3:14 pm
I'll run it either way. As for tech, I gotta test something on roll 20, otherwise, any tech works for me.
Jul 31, 2016 6:59 pm
Ok, I think we have 4. We're going to try Roll20, as it has card decks built in, but I've never run a game on Roll20 before. Just join this link: https://app.roll20.net/join/1558582/zDuQ2A
Jul 31, 2016 6:59 pm
Ready to go. How are we doing this?
Aug 1, 2016 12:28 am
We had a few technical hiccups, but I think overall the game was a lot of fun. It was great to meet you all.

We were looking for some feedback to help with a live con game, so here goes:
-GM screen with the hit chart, etc (the hit chart lookup didn't take super long, but it's easy to streamline)

-There were a lot of scientists to keep track of in the main train car, plus the rep we were supposed to be on the lookout for. It offered a variety of people to interact with, but if any of them aren't strictly necessary, it could help to cut one or two out. We didn't really get into the thing with the Hellstrom representative, either. That said, if you get a really RP heavy group, that scene could be a lot of fun if the players really get into it.

-For the Priest specifically, the pacifist hindrance wasn't a big deal. Once you'd explained that it wasn't a flat refusal, but rather a last resort, it worked out well.

-Since it's for a con, I'd recommend pre-filling the strength in the damage listing for melee weapons (3d8+2d6, as opposed to STR+2d6)

-Also for the Priest, I didn't realize what the Leadership skill could do until we were into the combat. It's a cool option, especially paired with the pacifism. He could totally be the bard of the party. At the con, I'd take a minute to go over each of the skills the character has, even it takes an extra minute or two.

-Since you're dealing with a large number of dice, it would be helpful to have a pool of dice available in case people don't have enough d#'s with them at the con. I'd imagine many people won't have their whole dice collections with them.

I think the technology worked against us a bit. I think running it live will help with the time for dice rolling, the card deck, etc. You mentioned you're already planning to put together notes for yourself and the players in a way that gathers the information in a more sensible manner (not having to scroll through the PDF to find the NPCs, etc). That should help as well.

The flavor of the system and the setting is awesome, and I really enjoyed the game. I think you'll have a great time. Thanks for running it for us, Ro!

-Richard (OrigamiSamurai)
Last edited August 1, 2016 12:30 am
Aug 1, 2016 1:02 am
Thanks a lot for the feedback!
Aug 2, 2016 6:10 am
That was a fun game. I definitely want to play more of that in the future.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.