Universe Building

Jan 1, 2023 10:24 pm
Listed below are where we will note our inspirations and constraints on our creativity.

Anything in the YES category are things we'd like to see in the Universe. But they do not necessarily need to make an appearance.
Anything in the NO category are things absolutely not allowed in the Universe.

In this thread, we can take turns suggesting YES or NO items, and then we can discuss and clarify if needed.

Current List
Yes
Things Listed in the Oracle (e.g., Airships)
The physics of reality shifts and changes in wondrous and beautiful ways.
> Knowledge of maths and chemistry are prized.
> A tradition of romance and gallantry still persists amongst the nobles.
> Mystical animals, particularly those that can fly, have intelligence and power.
> The great beasts and mystical fliers can be bargained with for power - quid-pro-quo bargaining and sympathy, the notion that if you can emulate the creatures in some way through ritual you can tap into their powers.
??? Mystical megafauna of the world are dangerous, so dangerous they keep the human population from ever fielding armies
> Alchemy and forging Magic.
> Visions of Past/Present.
> Godless Religion. I think this potential is open, but I won't put this on Yes, after reading Verrain's character.

No
No
> Cosmic Horrors
Intense releases of energy cannot happen, no guns, no bombs no blasts of fire.
> No Undead, this is a world of abundant life and everything follows its proper cycle.
> No living humanoid can use magic, except the PCs such as spell-slinging.
> No Spell-slinging.
> No clear visions of the future. Vague is OK.
> No Travel Back in time.
> No Parallel Universes.
Jan 7, 2023 3:04 am
BIG PICTURE
A vast continent often inundated with haze and clouds where travel and distance are always shifting and unclear, nation-states, merchant guilds, and familial dynasties all vie for power and influence, where international markets and trade have just opened. Industrial forces are just emerging.

Alchemists and those that work the forges can bind the chemical structures of matter to create magical tools.
Mystical beasts can be bargained with to perform magic effects.

@Verrain,@Chalrytharendir,@Jomsviking

How does that sound to everyone for a start?
We can always edit this as we go.

Next, I urge you to add an element to the Pallete, based on Microscope.

Here is how it works:

Everyone can suggest a single YES or NO item.
YES items are things we can include in the fiction, but are not required.
The NO items are things we ban outright-- in the fictional element sense. We can talk about player aesthetics elsewhere (e.g., I like to keep my games PG-13, cruelty to animals, fade to black for romantic scenes, etc...).

Suggest an element, and we can then clarify the meaning of each contribution through discussion.
Then, if we'd like, we all have the opportunity to add another element. If anyone is satisfied and does not want to add any more elements, then we don't go to another round.

I will update the top post in this thread as we go along.

I have taken the liberty to put several items in the list already, just to show an example of how to do the pallet. Also, ask me questions to elaborate if needed.

Other bits of advice....
I am a big fan of the NO list. Things on the NO list often drive the game better than the YES.
Also, if you don't like a YES or are disappointed to see a NO, say something! This is where we negotiate and compromise as well.

I'm excited to see what you offer!
Jan 7, 2023 3:27 am
Combining the Yes about prizing chemistry with the No changing one of the most fundamental laws of chemistry is going to hurt my brain. I'd rather ban firearms and bombs by fiat than change the laws of chemistry to disallow them.

Also, what do you mean by "The physics of reality shifts and changes in wondrous and beautiful ways."?

To be honest, my oracle suggested a more historical tale and you have pre-loaded this with a lot of magic so I'm rather thrown off at this point.
Last edited January 7, 2023 3:28 am
Jan 7, 2023 7:47 am
Yes the mystical megafauna of the world is dangerous. It's so dangerous it keeps the human population from ever fielding armies.

No living humanoid can use magic, except the PCs
Jan 7, 2023 2:07 pm
Jomsviking says:
Yes the mystical megafauna of the world is dangerous. It's so dangerous it keeps the human population from ever fielding armies.
Do you mean that the warriors are so busy fending off the great beasts that they can't raise armies against each other? Because I would think rampaging megafauna would make defensive forces mandatory.
Jan 7, 2023 2:46 pm
YES: The great beasts and mystical fliers can be bargained with for power.

NO: Undead, this is a world of abundant life and everything follows its proper cycle.
Jan 7, 2023 3:46 pm
Verrain says:
Jomsviking says:
Do you mean that the warriors are so busy fending off the great beasts that they can't raise armies against each other? Because I would think rampaging megafauna would make defensive forces mandatory.
The world is lush and full of life. Without the darkness of Grim reality to keep it in check, what was once an inconvenience has become monstrous. Reptiles and Insects do not die of old age. They die of disease and starvation, which don't exist in our paradise to keep them in check. What are thousands of arrows going to do against the hide of a 100ft alligator? And because these good sources are so readily abundant, why wouldn't the mammals become larger as well? And more aggressive.

I'm talking about Gojira. King Kong. Mothra. Not a cosmic horror but a real creature that went unchecked long enough to become a legend.
Last edited January 7, 2023 3:57 pm
Jan 7, 2023 4:20 pm
Quote:
Combining the Yes about prizing chemistry with the No changing one of the most fundamental laws of chemistry is going to hurt my brain. I'd rather ban firearms and bombs by fiat than change the laws of chemistry to disallow them.

Also, what do you mean by "The physics of reality shifts and changes in wondrous and beautiful ways."?

To be honest, my oracle suggested a more historical tale and you have pre-loaded this with a lot of magic so I'm rather thrown off at this point.
Good points!
Now that you mention it, I think I want to lean into that Historical Tale vibe too.
I had this idea that physics would not allow high energy, thus we still have a reason for swords, armor and blade battles. But maybe the tech just hasn't been perfected... or we can leave that a mystery to discover in play, as to why guns, bombs and such do not work?

Questions for everyone, what levels of magic? what level of tech? Maybe not a YES/NO thing, but something to put in the Big Picture?
Jan 7, 2023 4:23 pm
Quote:
I'm tempted to leave this a mystery, but I am curious--- were you thinking bargain/binding like demonology? Or more transactional,. quid-pro-quo?
I'm leaning against the demonology type of bargains, but it is not a hard stop.
Jan 7, 2023 4:28 pm
I am going to ponder the megafauna idea.
I played a game that featured mega fauna once before and had a blast, but I'm not sure I want to revisit it just yet. I totally jam on megafauna..but not sure if I'm ready to return to that theme...

I agree with the no Undead. I'm still burnt out on the zombie genre.
Jan 9, 2023 5:10 pm
Rabbits says:
Quote:
I'm tempted to leave this a mystery, but I am curious--- were you thinking bargain/binding like demonology? Or more transactional,. quid-pro-quo?
I'm leaning against the demonology type of bargains, but it is not a hard stop.
A combination of quid-pro-quo bargaining and sympathy, the notion that if you can emulate the creatures in some way through ritual you can tap into their powers.
Jan 9, 2023 5:12 pm
Rabbits says:
Quote:

Good points!
Now that you mention it, I think I want to lean into that Historical Tale vibe too.
I had this idea that physics would not allow high energy, thus we still have a reason for swords, armor and blade battles. But maybe the tech just hasn't been perfected... or we can leave that a mystery to discover in play, as to why guns, bombs and such do not work?

Questions for everyone, what levels of magic? what level of tech? Maybe not a YES/NO thing, but something to put in the Big Picture?
For tech, I had the Renaissance Italian city-states in my head when I put together my pitch. As for magic, I wanted magic to be present but not simple. More alchemy and forging, less actual spell slinging.
Jan 9, 2023 7:12 pm
Quote:
you can emulate the creatures in some way through ritual you can tap into their powers.
That sounds cool.

I have updated the list.
What are everyone else's thoughts on Megafauna? I have that set as a maybe right now.

It feels like we have a good basis, but I would like to hear from @Chalrytharendir for any YES/NO contributions.
Jan 9, 2023 7:15 pm
Like the Na'vi and their tail link.
Jan 11, 2023 1:56 am
I'll put a caveat on the no magic use outside of the PCs. Powerful villains can always do whatever a PC can do. Usually they do it better.
Jan 11, 2023 2:02 am
Quick check-in on Religion and Gods.
Any YES/NO items about them, or just let them develop in the fiction?
Jan 11, 2023 2:10 am
Well, I'm a Yes on Religion and a maybe on the gods. Since only PCs can do magic, they must be pretty hands-off gods and not granting many powers or performing many miracles.
Jan 11, 2023 2:19 am
Here's a no:

No intervention from any would be divinity
Jan 11, 2023 2:22 am
I like the idea of no spell-slinging. Magic is alchemical and forged based-- if you want to do anything else clever, go bargain with a mystical animal. That make sense?

But in my mind I always assume a difference between Magic and Faith/Miracle. What do you all think? A Prayer is different from arcana.
I like that gods are not around physically. They don't personally intervene. I can go with that.
Jan 11, 2023 2:36 am
Rabbits says:
I like the idea of no spell-slinging. Magic is alchemical and forged based-- if you want to do anything else clever, go bargain with a mystical animal. That make sense?

But in my mind I always assume a difference between Magic and Faith/Miracle. What do you all think? A Prayer is different from arcana.
I like that gods are not around physically. They don't personally intervene. I can go with that.
Mystical Animal or perhaps Mystical Object?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.