Torc

Jan 11, 2023 2:05 am
This thread is for Torc-specific stuff...

Going over what we got, just to make sure I'm understanding.

Fume is a holy sword, and the one that wields it is called The Fume Knight.
There is an Order of knights, call the Black Iron Knights.

Torc has the sword but is just the vessel to, eventually, deliver it to The Prophet.

The Order of the Black Iron Knights has access to a scriptorium, which also houses ancient texts.

Did I get those right?
Jan 11, 2023 2:21 am
Looks good. A point of clarification, Torc may be the Prophet or perhaps the prophesy was mistaken as to whom unleashes the blade. Going back to your earlier OOC post.
Jan 11, 2023 2:45 am
What does Torc (currently) believe about the issues surrounding the prophet?

Some world-building questions...
Why was the Order of the Black Iron Knights allowed into the scriptorium?
Was the ancient text that had the image of the strange ship on it well known? How did Torc come to know of its(the text) existence?
How many Black Iron Knights are there?
Who (or what) do the Black Iron Knights swear fielty or allegiance to?
Do they have a code of conduct and purpose?
Who funds the Order of the Black Iron Knights?
Jan 11, 2023 2:55 am
Why was the Order of the Black Iron Knights allowed into the scriptorium?

The Black Iron Knights are the Faith Militant of Khist-Nolmriah. They act as the repository for the Forbidden Lore.

Was the ancient text that had the image of the strange ship on it well known?

It is not well known, but not particularly obscure either. The Black Iron Knights worship sacred geometry, the vessel itself matches the diagram depicted only no one knows what the text says.

How did Torc come to know of its(the text) existence?

Torc as a member of the faith militant is well versed in the scriptures. I envision this vessel as a Goldberg Polyhedron which would correspond to most star worshipping cultures depictions of sacred geometric vessels.

How many Black Iron Knights are there?

I would say at their strongest they were a legion. Now perhaps only a few dozen.

Who (or what) do the Black Iron Knights swear featy or allegiance to?

Think Freemasons. They are aligned with Law, and they are loyal to the Charter.

Do they have a code of conduct and purpose?

Fortitude, Prudence, Temperance, Justice. They believe in the reformation of humanity from the ground up.

Yes this is identical to our worlds Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.

Who funds the Order of the Black Iron Knights?

Similar to the Knights Templar, they distribute aid to the wounded. Those who die in their care surrender their possessions to the order.
Last edited January 12, 2023 12:13 am
Jan 11, 2023 3:03 am
Issues concerning the prophecy:

Torc doesn't believe in the Prophet. He doesn't believe anyone or anything is responsible for Fume and as Fume is a temple sword its purpose was to be symbolic of the Order. It takes Fortitude to master the Blade. Prudence to know when to use it. Temperance to know it is not meant to be used for battle. Justice as the sword is primarily used for capital punishment.
Jan 11, 2023 11:40 pm
Quote:
They worship sacred geometry,
Who is the "they" here?
Jan 11, 2023 11:52 pm
The Black Iron Knights are the they.
Jan 18, 2023 2:36 am
As soon as you have a character submitted, I'll iron some things out and get an opening scene for you.
Jan 18, 2023 4:24 am
Iron it out hahahaha!

Alright I've submitted
Jan 19, 2023 3:45 am
I did a bit of editing but might have cropped out a bit too much.
I'll keep tinkering.
Jan 19, 2023 6:12 am
Good making the language more generic.

I don't know what it means to count as a squad for wrecking, but it sounds very much like final fantasy BFS stuff and I like it.
Jan 19, 2023 4:02 pm
In Blades in the Dark, there is a moment where everyone contemplates how effective a particular action will be. Torc, when he has Fume is way more effective than a regular shmoe with a sword.

I'll do similar evaluations as detailed in that link, but just in the background-- so we don't have to spend posts going back and forth.

I'll write up an example in OOC chat as well.... that might be helpful.
Jan 25, 2023 2:15 am
Oh Soldier First Class status! Righteous.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.