Ch. Z : The infinite Tower

Jan 11, 2023 3:34 am
previously says:

As you get closer the others get their first view of the tower. The odd thing is that Quindon and Jax begin to wonder how tall that thing is and why they did not notice is sooner. The tower appears to continue high into the sky and the top can not be seen. As you near you begin moving even more cautiously but are soon at the end of easy options. The hills, always somewhat erratic though thick is some places, do not reach to the tower leaving a wide open area around it that stretches for several hundred feet.
Before you is the tower. A massive structure that defies logic it stands for all to see plainly now. Its base is about 100 feet in diameter and a massive door is seen on the southern side. It stretches beyond everyone's eyesight and has no windows at any point. At various points you can see strange glows or glimmers of reflected light. At its bas you see a group of hobgoblins walking around the tower with another group standing in front of the door.

The door is well over 30 feet tall and 40 feet wide made of an unknown material that vaguely resembles petrified wood. The door is set into a stone doorway that has been carves with a multitude of images of creatures, scenery, plant, and glyphs of all kinds. As you approach you note above the door is a large paque with glowing runes that twist oddly yet all instantly gain an understanding of their meaning.

As you get near you feel increasing levels of magic. By time you are clsoe enough to togh the air and ground seem to humm with it. Larynda looks around and though no great tracker the todden ground easily shows signs of several footprints leading to the door.
After a moment the two doors begin gliding silently to the sides creating a gap between them. The gap is wider at the ground level and narrow at the top, as if the doors are swiveling to the side and up. The doors stop after creating a gap 4' wide at th base. The interior is pitch black after only a few feet. What you can see is simple stone floors. The light does not touch any walls.

The towers looks be be a simple rough stone structure from a distance but as you approach you realize it is covered in carved and engraven murals depicting lands, creatures, and peoples. As you get near you realize not all the scenes depicted are of the mortal realm. There are scenes of vast oceans with impossibly vast creatures swallowing ships and dragons. Others show expanses of stars with being riding vessels through the space between.
The door is covered has two circles about 3 feet up and 1 floor from the middle line. They give the impression of knocker plates.
When the doors finish moving a gentle voice is head
Unknown individuals, welcome to the Infinite Tower. Please enter for evaluation.
A soft light suffuses the interior yet somehow reveals no additional details other than a pathway leading inwards.

As Jax and Nash join the others Hak hops into the rooms as well. Moments later the doors drop closed.
Beginning registration of new individuals. Individual evaluation is beginning
All of the doors slide open with a gentle hiss and a suction force pulls each of you into separate doors that then close behind you.

The doors drop closed and a gentle soothing voice is heard from all around.
Beginning registration of new individuals. Individual evaluation is beginning
All of the doors along the side of the chamber slide open with a gentle hiss and a suction force pulls each individual into separate doors that then close behind you.
Jan 11, 2023 4:16 am
You find yourself laying on a flexible surface inside a spherical chamber with not discernable opening and no sign of how you arrived. The inside of this bubble chamber is slowly shifting through colors, like oil on water in sunlight. A soft light fills the chamber and a gentle thrumming sound is heard. This continues for just a few moments before the voice is heard again.
Registration complete, please state how you wish to be identified on the Towers records.
[ +- ] Failure to Communicate
The voice then goes on to give a brief history of the tower and its current function as a training facility for the Mortal People in their ongoing fight against the Incarnations and their Immortal servants.
[ +- ] Tower History
Having registered you will be tested to determine your individual skills so that this information can be used by the civic and military leaders to better know the best position in either the ranks of the Great Army or Civic Administration. As all members of the administration are also reserve members of the army all are expected to have a basic level of combat capability. This will be the first thing tested. Afterwards you may select test to apply for a ranking in various fields and additional tests may be assigned to you based on you performance. All who pass with the minimum requirements will be awarded a Infinite Medallion. This medallion will only work for you and grants you access to Tower services. These will be explained should you be awarded one. Needles to say many of these services are not available to basic citizens so work hard to earn your medallion.
Jan 11, 2023 5:23 am
Jax reaches out to Nash via the metal link they had before. Can you still hear me? I’ve been taken to a separate chamber to await some kind of trial. Did the same happen to you?
Jan 11, 2023 1:31 pm
OOC:
Oh wow! I missed a lot of stuff. I rely on the email notifications from the subscribed threads, and when a new thread is made and I haven't been able to subscribe to its notifications yet, I don't see the emails that someone has posted. Thanks for the wake-up post in the chat thread! I'm going to do some reading to catch back up then post for real.
Jan 11, 2023 2:28 pm
Jax gets a response. Oh yeah. No clue what's happening, but it's probably not good. Also... I don't think Klim is here.
Jan 11, 2023 2:50 pm
The spells pointed us in this direction, this I haven’t lost hope yet. Either way, we will have to conquer this "evaluation" before we can proceed. And at the worst, we can make use of whatever services to which we will then be entitled.
Jan 11, 2023 2:53 pm
Tower is old though, right? Do the services even still exist? I'm going to be cranky if we slog through this whole stupid trial just to get access to some shopkeep who died a few hundred years ago AND we still can't find Klim. Just saiyin'.
Jan 11, 2023 3:06 pm
In such a circumstance, I would agree. If we don’t get something from this, I will be profoundly displeased.
Jan 12, 2023 3:41 am
Quindon, Hak, and Jax will hear Nash in their heads.

The test just told me Klim was tested here! It asked if I wanted to quit testing after the initial tests! Going to try and find him as soon as it lets me out.
Jan 12, 2023 4:00 am
Nash steps through a wall into a large circular room. The center has a table with curved couches around it. Sitting on one is Klim who looks up as Nash enters.
The table has cups and a bottle that Klim identifies as the Ever mindful Decanter, a magic item that produces and drink requested but is limited to only filling any cup halfway and can only fill 1 cup per person at a rate of 1 cup per quarter hour. He has had some time to experiment. There is also a bowl of berries that Klim grimaces at, indicating them to be Goodberries. They keep you full but lack any desirable flavor making the decanter almost priceless while he waited for you.
Klim has been asking the Tower questions for over half an hour and recently found out you were in the process of being evaluated but He was unable to contact you until you completed your basic evaluations.

Messages are quickly sent to the rest of the party who will be able to join them once they complete the basic and advanced evaluations.
Jan 12, 2023 4:20 am
Klim sees Nash enter the room and responds with excitement. He puts down his drink and rushes to his teammate , breath smelling of alcohol.Well, look at that. I’m saved. Thanks buddy, it’s good to see ya.
Jan 12, 2023 4:29 am
Talking to the Tower Klim has discovered they're are several other "recent" applicants including the Hobgoblins. But there are not talking to Klim, if he even tried, do the Tower will not share any information about them. He also noticed that the Tower is not fully operational. Several inquiries resulted in answers to the effect that An administrator will be with you shortly.
Jan 12, 2023 12:16 pm
Quindon listens to the the conversation of Jaxx and Nash. He informs them that he's in the same situation and tells them that he'll be trying to pass the evaluation as well. Even if it all seems rather harmless, the halfling wonders what happens with those who don't pass the evaluation.

To the tower he gives his full name: Quindon Riverrock. He then listens carefully to the brief history. If the tower doesn't move him along, he annoucnes in a loud and clear voice that he's ready to go on. Seeing as the combat test would be the first, he unsheaths his rapier and hopes that the test isn't lethal.

Although Nash and Jaxx seem hurried to find Klim, Despite voicing the opinion that the expedition should work on liberating Klim, Quindon is less focused on finding the Duergar at this point. Getting favours or boons from this artefact could proof far more useful than recovering one wizard. Besides, even though Quindon is comitted to the expedition, he doesn't take the responsibility of filling in all the gaps the expedition leaders are leaving.
Last edited January 12, 2023 12:21 pm
Jan 12, 2023 12:43 pm
@Taillesswonder,@Librarian_Astelan : I posted teh solo stuff in the private threads.
There is an inital "mandatory" combat evaluation followed by an advanssed assesment as your character easily prove they are above 1st level and you are provided a list of options on other skill/aptitudes that you can also test in for a higher ranking and reward as the tower systems are still geared towars the Great War against the Incarnations and Immortals (You characters would reffer to it as the Dawn War)

The basic and advanced combat tests were simple dice rolls with a bit of strategy. All of the other Offense, Defence, Reconisance, Infiltration, Espionage, Demolition, Survival, Support, Communications, Other (state a category) will be actual scenes that will be played out in character in full. If you want to do those then simply stay in the testing state otherwise once you finish at least the basic combat test you can opt out and will recieve a message from the Tower system that Hak is looking for you and you can join him in the lounge (this thread at this time)
Jan 12, 2023 12:51 pm
"Klim! Am I glad we found you! Hell of a day, eh? Jax and Hak and a few others should be along shortly. Once everyone is here, I guess we can figure out what the hell is next," Nash says, plopping down on the couch and putting his feet up. He will eat a goodberry, and (assuming all his gear is returned) down some water from his skin.

"I hope they hurry."
Jan 12, 2023 1:11 pm
Please stand by, an administrator will be joining you momentarily
After a short pause you hear a tone then see another figure pass through the wall. You recognize him as the elf who took the Orb from the rooms below the well.
Dasyra Valdi
Ah, good that worked then. Good. Do you mind if I bring in my college? Perhaps I should explain a bit first. I am not sure how much you are aware of so will just give general details, feel free to ask any questions and I will answer what I can.
My college and I worked as Tower Wardens before what you call the shattering. We were primarily responsible for managing affairs the towers automated systems could not handl including repairs and administering or assisting the tower Climbers and Students. As I am sure you already heard from the Tower itself this was initially a place of learning. Once it expanded its role to allow passage to extraplanar Realms the term Climber referred to any who used the tower for personal growth. When the Great War began all Climbers were required to join the military services and support the war effort.
At the present the Tower is not fully functional. The "Shattering?", I believe is is called, overloaded many of the tower systems. To prevent a total failure of this node my supervisor, the Portal Keeper, ejected several of the Planar Foci, those large stones the Hobgoblins have been playing with. Unfortunately this caused a massive backlash that ejected not only the Foci but also my supervisor and the resulting loss of power locked me and my college in the tower. I only recently was able to locate any of them when they started going active. Whic is how I met you.
Jan 12, 2023 2:53 pm
Klim laughs at the thought of a master wizard flying through the air and landing in the swamp. Well I’m glad things are picking up for ya. The others should be here soon, then I’d actually love to see your college. I bet you’ve got a spell book or two lyin’ around, don’t ya?
Jan 12, 2023 4:28 pm
"I did the dumb test, I may as well take a look around," Nash says with a laugh. "I hope the others get here soon though."
Last edited January 12, 2023 4:29 pm
Jan 13, 2023 2:43 pm
Siveril Miarona
A tall silver haired elfess enters the room after a moment looking to Dasyra she says I thought you said they were in contact. Why are some of them still taking the trials. We need to talk with them.
One even selected the "Survival" challenge. That takes days. Do something!
she snaps She is obviously upset and only glances at the party.

Dasyra Valdi
rising from the seat he just took while joining you he gives the lady a slight bow before turning guesturing at her and saying May I introduce my college, Lady Miarona, Warden of this Tower portal. I apologize but being trappped here for over 50 years with only me to talk to has not been pleasant for her.
Turning back to the lady he answers her calmly. Very well. I will see what I can do. But, as you know, master was the only one who has the authority to cancel ongoing tests. We will have to wait until they finish their current test. Be patient. The man then says a command in an unknown language and makes a gesture. In the air before him an illusory writing and several small pictures appear. He taps a couple and waves the rest away leaving now enlarged images of Jax and Lasyra fighting Quindon is outside somewhere and Hak is in his waiting room bubble. After a few more taps into the floating symbols before him he waves it all away. Done. They will join us as soon as they complete their current assessment.

Moments later Hak walks into the room.
OOC:
@Ausmaster1000,@GreyWord,@Librarian_Astelan you 3 doing extra testing can do that concurrent with this thread so the party can continue it's scene.
Jan 13, 2023 3:00 pm
OOC:
You mean that Quindon finishes the scouting mission & then is teleported to this location? If so, I suppose you can introduce is in this thread as well?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.