Amid the Skyship Wreckage [O1.1]

Jan 25, 2023 2:56 am
The Spirit of the Leviathan smashed down into a stretch of The Whispering Valley, a deep ravine that cuts through the Wastes in a sprawling, branching pattern. In some places, it runs wide and shallow, and in others, narrow and deep. Folks joke parts of it are bottomless, but in a way that everyone knows they aren’t really joking.
[ +- ] World Building Opp
In this case, the Spirit of the Leviathan landed askew, part of it on a shallow northern ledge, and another part crumpled and dangled down a steeper edge into a dark, narrow ravine. Only the expert construction of the ship held the pieces together- for now. Parts threaten to plummet into the valley’s depths.

From the ground, one would need to get right up to the edge to really see the wreckage, however, as most of the wreck rests below the valley edge it remains relatively hidden.

From the sky, however, would be a different question.

Those on the crystal ship, if there are people on that ship, with a good spyglass, could see the wreckage. The sickly trees of the valley must have given it enough cover. The evening light winks from its diamond-like surfaces just as it slips away toward Giacinto and out of view.

And that is when Oril sees the thing in the trees.

Perched on a thick branch, talons wrapped around the wood, hunches a mystical creature. With falcon eyes, a long snout like a wolf, and a body covered in a chaos of purple and blue feathers and claws, with two tails, thin like a rat’s, it scans the area.

The creature is about six feet long, at most. But the wing span, if it has wings in all those feathers, would be much wider.

What does Oril Do?
OOC:
The intelligent, mystical creature has excellent vision and will spot Oril if he does nothing.
Jan 25, 2023 7:23 am
OOC:
Awesome! Looking forward to responding! Gotta head to bed, but ideas brewing ...
Feb 7, 2023 9:20 am
Oril
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/809316414125113367/1072425810394349588/Intro_sepia.jpgOril had just swung back down to the grimy rock from the ruined deck of the Spirit of Leviathan after his exploration into the depths of the wreckage when he notices the mystical beast perched in the nearby tree.

The shock of blue and purple against the drabble colours of the valley is impossible to miss and the surprise causes Oril to stand transfixed in owe of the creature.

It is the Whispers that snap him out of it. The trees of the valley are infected with a parasitic worm that bore holes into the branches of the older frail trees. When the wind blows through the valley, it resonates through these holes like a thousand fluted instruments creating a chorus of whispers on the wind. Some say it is how the worms communicate with each other, some believed it is the wailing of the tortured trees, and others think it is the whispers of the dead floating up from the underworld far below in the bottomless canyon.

Regardless of the true source, Oril swears the whispers urge him, "RUUUUNNN!!! RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!! RUUNNN!"

But it's too late ... there's no chance to run as the creature turns its head towards him.

Even if he could outrun the beast, he would certainly have to drop the haul of treasures that he'd found in the Prince's room in Leviathan. The jeweled mandolin was tucked into his pack, but he had also filled a pillow case full of other valuable items that he hoped would finance his passage from Sellean to the Kingdoms of Llorinth.

Besides ... it's said you must show bravery in front of a Mystic, else you are simply seen as prey, Oril remembers.

Encountering a Mystic was rare and dangerous, but sometimes beneficial. There were stories of legendary warriors slaying a Mystic, but in most cases, if an encounter turned violent, the Mystic was the victor. Instead, the best option was to be respectful, pay tribute, give offerings and sometimes bargain with the creature ... if you were lucky, you might survive and even end up with more than you bargained for ... for better or worse.

Oril approaches the Mystic with a mixture of what he hopes is respectful confidence and measured caution. Oril is unsure if the creature can speak/understand, but he decides to bow and says, "Good Day, Ancient One ... May I be of help to you?"
OOC:
I'm imagining this will sort of be a SURVEY that flows into a CONSORT/SWAY action, probably depending on the reaction of the Mystic Creature. I think Oril is relying on his Wisdom here. Oril is a little worried that it will turn violent, but he has actually encountered a Mystic once before and survived using this approach (I'll leave that story for later, but I think it's how he got his "Seer" power, so he is most worried about how much of his new found treasure he's going to lose during the bargaining ...
Feb 10, 2023 2:32 am
The mystical creature vaults from the tree, dives with unsettling speed toward Oril, flares its wings, and finishes with a precise gliding path to Oril’s location.

The smell of fresh grass and a hint of roasted foods swirl about it.
The purple and green feathers upon its body look fresh, glistening as though it underwent a coat of some protective oil.
The eyes glint, eager, full of possibility.

Movaril-Ocewhen
"You may call me Movaril-Ocewhen."

Movaril keeps his knees bent, shifting and swaying, as if ready to react. He looks to the clouds and the sky, trying to read the wind to see what will come his way.

"You emerged from the wreckage. Yet, were not a passenger. I could use your assistance, though, I do not take charity. What would you ask of me?"
OOC:
Movaril’s keen gaze works relentlessly. Unless Oril tries to resist, Movaril will know Oril has taken from the wreckage, and know Oril believes it is of incredible value. He’ll know Oril is not just some minor scavenger, but a craftsman of some type. Also, tell us one of Oril’s weaknesses (if any) when it comes to bargaining, Movaril will see that too if Oril does nothing to mask how he presents himself.

What does Oril do?
Feb 10, 2023 5:05 pm
The sudden flight of the magnificent creature surprises Oril, but he holds his ground. Upon the Mystic's introduction, Oril replies, "It is an honor to meet you Movaril-Ocewhen. My name is Oril and I am from Sellean, a ship-building town to the North."

"This ship was built there, in fact I was one of the many laborers whose blood and sweat went into its construction," he divulges to help build trust with Morvail as he can see the creature's keen gaze assessing him and will likely conclude he's not a simple scavenger.

"It recently launched on its maiden voyage, so I was shocked to find it here today. I must report the news of its crash. I've collected some items to prove what has happened," he indicates the pillow case in an effort to explain its presence without revealing its contents. "Unfortunately, it is a week's journey by foot. I would be happy to help you, if you could help me get back to Sellean faster."
OOC:
Oril enjoys helping people, so he could accept a bargain too quickly even if the offer is less valuable than his assistance.
Feb 11, 2023 6:38 pm
Movaril drops down to all fours. His pupils widen as if he is ready to pounce or strike.
Movaril-Ocewhen
"Happy to help, I see." Movaril repeats what Oril said. "Accepted."

Oril feels how the words he spoke evoked a power from Movaril-- a connection begins to grow.

"I require a helpful assistant." A blanket of emotion wraps Oril’s mind for a time, muffling his own intentions.
OOC:
Mark one Stress: Magical compulsion to help Movaril clouds Oril’s mind.
"Inside that wreckage are some diagrams, instructions, and ledgers. Find them and bring them to me, Assistant Oril." Movaril says this as if Oril knows exactly what he wants found.
OOC:
How is it that Oril figures out the information Movaril desires is information regarding other mystical creatures?

What does Oril do?
Feb 14, 2023 6:21 am
Oril feels the sudden weight of the compulsion on his mind. His initial reaction is to resist but it causes a flood of nausea to wash over him. Once it passes he feels silly, he had no intention to break the bargain, so he's not sure why he wanted to resist other than the threat of free thought being restricted. He was willing to help, but preferred to do it on his own accord. Eventually the feeling eases and the compulsion only lingers in the back of his consciousness.

"At once," Oril replies, but then hesitates. "How will I know what I'm looking for?"

Movaril tosses a marble into the air towards Oril, who catches it and then opens his hand to take a closer look. He discovers it's actually a petrified eyeball and it immediately triggers one of his Seer visions.

For just an instant, he is looking through that eye ball, back when it was still attached to its owner. Whoever it belonged to was frantically taking notes onto a stack of parchment. Before the vision flashes back to reality, Oril sees some of the sketches on the page, a handful of mystic chimera similar, but different, to Movaril.

Oril looks up at Movaril, who had flown back to his perch. He didn't need to ask if the Mystic knew what he had seen, he could tell by his expression. Oril nods, tucking the eye in his pocket, and says, "There was a small library built into the lower observation deck. I will look there first."

As Oril heads back into the wreckage, he wonders ... How did he know about my visions? Does he know the power was bestowed upon me by one of his kin? ... Oril was too young to remember when it had happened, barely a toddler, he had only heard stories about the strange event from his parents. But now that the compulsion had sat with him for a few minutes, the feeling was almost nostalgic like a first memory that had faded just beyond recognition.
Feb 15, 2023 12:48 am
Oril worms his way through the ship toward the direction of the lower observation deck. The floor tilts more and more as he nears his goal, until, upon reaching the area it is clear, more than half of the library got good and smashed into the dust and rot of the wastes. The ornate windows that once surrounded the observatory now lay like shattered teeth in the mire and destruction.

The one saving grace is not many books to sift through. Hardly any at all really-- as they were to be stocked later. The books and papers that are there, are scattered about, however. Though they match the sketches from the vision.

A loud crack reports down from above. Yet another main timber giving way to the strain. There isn’t much time.
OOC:
I’m assuming Oril will go for the papers. Getting or not getting the papers doesn’t seem like too interesting of a consequence---In all likelihood, whatever Oril attempts, he will get the Papers, the question is, at what cost, or perhaps Oril has a different goal here?
Feb 15, 2023 7:06 am
OOC:
Assuming he finds the papers, his curiosity gets the better of him and he spends some time trying to understand their purpose and guess at why Movaril wants them before returning. He risks staying longer than he should to get the info. I'm imagining this could involve 3 types of actions: Survey (Wis) to constantly assess the state of the wreckage and its imminent dangers, Study (Int) to glean some understanding of what the documents contain, and Prowl (Dex) to "traverse skillfully" to escape any dangers that arise. Would you like me to roll all three or focus on the one you think is the crux?
Feb 16, 2023 4:34 am
OOC:
Focus on answering "what does Oril do?" Make sure to describe the most immediate goal, and what he's most worried will happen. From that feel free to make a single dice roll that makes the most sense to you. Or, if you don't think there is much danger/risk I can tell you the consequences, and you can then have the option to roll to avoid after the fact.
Feb 16, 2023 6:39 am
Oril sifts through books, folders and scroll cases for the parchments matching his vision. His gaze keeps looking up to assess the state of the ship. It's much worse than when he had entered before, the thick muck of the Wastes finally giving way to the weight of the vessel. Mud was slowly squeezing its way through the smashed opening of the once impressive window.

Ah ha! ... Oril opens a folder with papers showing a similar hand to the ones he was looking for and it isn't long before he sees a few drawings that confirm this is the archive he's seeking. As he flips through the pages, the images catch his curiosity. He puts the folder down on the nearest upright desk and begins to take a closer look at the notes to figure out their meaning.

A loud crack from above suddenly reminds him that he doesn't have much time. The ship is noticeably shifting and muck presses in through the window faster. It won't be long before it blocks the entrance through which he came. Looking around he notices another exit, although he knows that route goes through the part of the ship over hanging the cliff.

The main entrance isn't blocked yet though. I just need a few more minutes to get the jist.

He knows he should probably just go, but he's too tempted by his curiosity ...
OOC:
He's worried that if it takes much longer to understand the purpose of the archive, he'll have to take the more dangerous exit. I'm imagining something like a strong hit is he figures it out and manages to escape the less dangerous way back, a weak hit is he figures it out, but the main entrance to the observatory is now blocked and he must find his way out via the more dangerous way. A miss is probably that he doesn't learn the purpose of the docs because he runs out of time, the main entrance is blocked and he realizes he needs to take the dangerous exit immediately else be crushed into the muck by the collapsing ship. But I'm happy with other ideas for consequences too.
Last edited February 16, 2023 6:39 am

Rolls

Study (Intelligence) - (2d6+1)

(26) + 1 = 9

Feb 18, 2023 5:35 pm
The papers all relate to the work of one author: Arundy Casseven, of The Seven Kingdoms of Llorinth.

They are reflections and notes on various soothsaying techniques to predict what the mystical creature Nilla-Azran will do for the next season. Her mood, her motivations, her plans.

And from the looks of it, Oril gets the gist that Nilla is an Elk-like creature, that leads a large herd. The themes and interpretations suggest they are seeking a new home. Movaril also wants to know what Nilla is up to.
OOC:
But in the notes, one picture catches Oril’s eye.
A drawing of a mandolin with a hand breaking strings.
Each string had a symbol written above it.
And a single note written in Arundy’s hand:

"Not related to Nilla, but those strings related to the Histinian Case, perhaps?"

With a final pop of splintering wood above, Oril can wait no more and has just enough time to get out and back to Movaril, who stands and peculiar distance from the wreckage, as if he’s barred from getting closer.
OOC:
With that weak hit, also feel free to ask one or two follow-up questions, for either one clear answer, or two generally vague answers.

Also, maybe another character move: Pile of Arundy Casseven notes and papers.
Feb 21, 2023 5:06 am
OOC:
I'll try to keep the soothsaying fairly vague since we agreed during world building "No clear visions of the future." I think our game has lots of serious, mysterious or even dark aspects so far, so let's add a little "Mirth" ... and let's throw in a "Tempest" too
As Oril reads over Casseven's notes, he gets a brief description of the ritual that would help predict Nilla-Azran seasonal migration. It begin with the successful hunt of an elk, followed by a great outdoor feast and revelry thanking Nilla-Azran for the bounty and celebrating the gifts of nature. The celebration would include wild music, uninhibited dancing and bonfires as well as the consumption of mind altering substances. Casseven lists a number of mushroom and plant species as well as a few ferments that were usually included. It was believed that if the event was deemed worthy by Nilla-Azran, a thunderstorm would roll over the celebration at its euphoric peak, water mixing with fire, natures lights and sounds punctuating the music, and ecstasy would fall over some of the participants ... a trance-like state full of visions of Nilla-Azran for which her migrational intentions could sometimes be gleaned.

Oril is caught off-guard by the unrelated note about the mandolin. He feels the extra weight in his pack of the one he recently found. Curious, he tries to memorize the symbols in the note and wonders why the Histinian Case is familiar? (OOC: follow-up question 1)

As he makes his way back to Movaril, he tries to recall anything he's heard about the relationship between Mystics ... Why would Movaril care to know about Nilla's where-abouts? (OOC: follow-up question 2)
OOC:
Since I only scored a weak hit, so Oril had to flee via the more dangerous route, should he meet an obstacle in the wreckage before getting back to Movaril? or are we assuming he deals with any further obstacles and gets back to Movaril safely? I'm not sure it's worth making a Move for the papers since Oril is planning to give them straight to Movaril, what do you think?
Last edited February 21, 2023 6:25 am
Feb 26, 2023 3:09 am
Once Oril has the symbols memorized, it finally occurs to him. This must be related to the same Histian famed for unsurpassed woodworking skills, but for special items, like furniture, frames, and musical instruments.

There was a rumor, or a story or something Oril remembers, that the musical instruments were so fine they could only be played "with crystal strings."

But there was another rumor, about how a Duke or Duchess of some aristocratic line could not stop playing a Histinian piano. The rumor was so alarming, Histian's work fell out of fashion with the ruling class.
OOC:
Movaril grabs the papers, eager. His eyes scheming and plotting.
The other warning that Oril would hear about the mystical creatures, is to watch out for the "games they play." These mystical creatures seem to always be in some state of competition, sometimes friendly, sometimes filled with if not animus, at least-- intense competitiveness.

Movaril cackles with delight as he reads through the notes.

Movaril-Ocewhen
"Ok, helper, where was it that I’m taking you?"

And even as he speaks, his shape takes on subtle changes in size and form to accommodate Oril as a passenger.
OOC:
The Histinian complication was the result of the weak hit, so no worries about getting out of the ship itself. But, we now know there is an investigative faction that would also have interest in that mandolin, and maybe not like the fact that a prince had it in his possession.
Mar 3, 2023 1:52 am
OOC:
Sounds good, I like how that will work as a complication.
As Oril is memorizing the symbols, he recalls when he heard about Histinian instruments. A Gleeman who frequented Sellean when he was growing up used to tell a story of a patron, a Duchess from one of the Kingdoms of Llorinth, to whom the Gleeman had given lessons. The family had one of the legendary Histinian instruments, a magnificent grand piano. He said it was the finest piano he had ever played, but that it must have been cursed because one night while practicing, the Duchess began to play and never stopped until she collapsed from exhaustion. Upon recovery, she claimed she couldn't stop of her own free will, the instrument had taken control of her body, the music some kind of mesmorizing spell. As the rumors spread, no one touched a Histinian instrument ever again ... Could the mandolin be one of these infamous instruments? ... Oril wondered.

Once Oril reports back to Movaril, he can't help but smile to see the mischievous joy in the Mystics reaction. He wonders what strange game Movaril is involved in. His curiosity almost makes him offer to help further just to find out more about the Mystics, but he realizes it would only put him in more danger and he's been very lucky to successfully negotiate this interaction as it is. He must quit while he's ahead.

"I'm headed for Sellean, the mill-town and shipyard in the forests north of the Wastes." Oril's about to ask how exactly this will work, but stops short as the creature's size and shape begins to morph and waits for further instructions.
Mar 9, 2023 8:51 pm
Moravil now stands, large; wings massive. A small seat of leather secured with brass rivets on old wood resides strapped just above his shoulders.
As soon as Oril settles into the seat, Moravil launches into the sky with a single beat of his wings and Oril finds the wind rushing across his face on a wild ride toward Sellean.

END SCENE
Mar 9, 2023 10:02 pm
OOC:
Nice conclusion to the scene, very evocative!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.