Let's build an RPG together.

load previous
Jul 26, 2016 6:04 pm
I feel like some form of Str and Dex are necessary too.
Jul 26, 2016 6:05 pm
And of course there is always a risk of a psychotic break, but how would you know when it happens? How do you know when the visions are "real" or just imagined?
Jul 26, 2016 6:07 pm
so now we're starting to wander into call of cthulu
Jul 26, 2016 6:08 pm
Do we make it a stat or do we say every player characters are part of the few rare humans to be able to see the "others"? Otherwise, why would you even join those cooks? :P
Jul 26, 2016 6:08 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
so now we're starting to wander into call of cthulu
Hey, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. :P
Jul 26, 2016 6:09 pm
I say have the players just be gifted for some unknown reason. why do they see them? now that you have this knowledge, what do you do with it?
Jul 26, 2016 6:17 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
I say have the players just be gifted for some unknown reason. why do they see them? now that you have this knowledge, what do you do with it?
I become a gutter punk and start playing my three-string guitar on street corners telling people THE TRUTH Man.
Jul 26, 2016 6:17 pm
Also I'm a demolitions expert
Jul 26, 2016 6:18 pm
Besides, my idea isn't technically CoC... It's more like H.P. Lovecraft tried to warn us, but because he did not quite have the gift, he saw a distorted version of the creatures, which he used to write his stories. Cthulhu might not be the Cthulhu, but a Cthulhu, an army of which currently lies in cryostasis in their mothership R'lyeh which is currently at the bottom of the Bermuda Triangle. :P
Last edited July 26, 2016 6:19 pm
Jul 26, 2016 6:28 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
isn't that more like the hunter games by white wolf? that's mostly supernatural stuff

but an RPG that focuses on an invasion of the body snatcher type stuff.. like the government really is infiltrated by reptilian overlords... or the invasion has just started... that could be interesting.

how about to focus more on the system first? do we want action, fast paced, and over the top? or do we want gritty, realistic, and tactical?
I like this.

I also like action.
Jul 26, 2016 6:29 pm
I liked the time travel idea because I hadn't heard of any games like that before. I've just looked it up; there are a bunch of them. Kinda depressing. Just once I'd like to have a genuinely original idea.
Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm
justin77 says:
darthoingoboingo says:
isn't that more like the hunter games by white wolf? that's mostly supernatural stuff

but an RPG that focuses on an invasion of the body snatcher type stuff.. like the government really is infiltrated by reptilian overlords... or the invasion has just started... that could be interesting.

how about to focus more on the system first? do we want action, fast paced, and over the top? or do we want gritty, realistic, and tactical?
I like this.

I also like action.
To build on this; do we want a game which you can just break out and play immediately for an evening, or something which requires preparation and lasts multiple sessions?
Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm
fluglichkeiten says:
I liked the time travel idea because I hadn't heard of any games like that before. I've just looked it up; there are a bunch of them. Kinda depressing. Just once I'd like to have a genuinely original idea.
everything has been done at least once man. This is why you need a "twist" to your games now to differentiate them from the mass.
Jul 26, 2016 6:33 pm
The time travellers are from the past!

Or not.
:-)
Jul 26, 2016 6:34 pm
fluglichkeiten says:
To build on this; do we want a game which you can just break out and play immediately for an evening, or something which requires preparation and lasts multiple sessions?
Can't we have a little bit of both? Very fast character creation for a one night pick up game, but the possibility to have long campaigns and optional/advance rules to add depth of play for the people who want a bit more mileage out of their RPGs...
Jul 26, 2016 6:40 pm
I agree on making character creation simple, But also like being able to upgrade your character. You can play as a resistance member and games can be either mission or campaign based...
Jul 26, 2016 6:41 pm
kalajel says:
fluglichkeiten says:
Can't we have a little bit of both? Very fast character creation for a one night pick up game, but the possibility to have long campaigns and optional/advance rules to add depth of play for the people who want a bit more mileage out of their RPGs...
Pregens or fast-start guides are good for this kind of thing. Say, "Hey, if you want to do a fast character of _______ type take these skills and this equipment" (D&D 5e has the quick start instructions in every class description)

Allow people who don't love the mechanical character building process to make a well-designed character quickly, while allowing those who want the more in-depth tuning to have their wish as well.
Jul 26, 2016 6:43 pm
Alright, even if the setting is not completely defined yet, I think we also need to thing of mechanics.

How about distribute 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, and 1d12 between Body, Move, Mind, Soul, and Luck?

Then the character gets a handful of character points to buy skills and maybe advantages/disadvantages? Skills would also range form 1d4 to 1d12.

Give starting equipment, gear granting 1d4 to 1d12 to certain actions?

When rolling, attempt to be a TN of 10 for average difficulty? the more you beat your TN by, the more it adds to "victory"? Characters then has the chance of trading a few points of "victory" to cancel a few points of "discovery" at a yet to decide ratio when rolling doubles/triples/quadruples? (so there is still possibility to cover your screw ups to some extent?)

Depending on the length of the campaign, it could last until you reach a certain amount of "victory", in which you win, or "discovery" where you lose...
Jul 26, 2016 6:47 pm
So Body is like Strength/Constitution and Move is, well, moving. Speed and Dexterity?
Jul 26, 2016 6:49 pm
How about Physical, Mental, Spiritual, Luck and Other (connection to the Other Plane)?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.