A Message Arrives [T1.1]

Feb 10, 2023 3:14 am
Armal Fios emerged from the door that exited to the deck of the Iron Knight flagship.
OOC:
[ +- ] World Building Opp
Armal’s limp often proved more distinctive than the scarlet cape he wore, the cape signifying him as a Black Eye Knight. The shieldbrother took a step away from Armal, whether in respect or dread, it was unclear.

The Black Eye Knights did all interrogations and ran all clandestine operations for the Black Iron Knights.

His eyes fixate on Fume. He draws ritualistic and honorific geometric symbols with his finger in the air that represents patience and caution. Armal begins to talk but never makes eye contact with Torc.

Armal Fios
"My dear prophet-destined, I am glad I caught you. A messenger bird from my Llorinth connection brings news, saying we have a spy on board. What do you plan to do?"

A thin mist passes over the crystal ship below, though it continues to move at a fast pace.

What does Torc do?
Feb 10, 2023 6:23 am
Fume stood as Armal approached, stepping forward on the left foot he pivots on his right forming the angle of his square, saluting by way of raising his left arm perpendicular to his body, his fingers extended pointed up, elbow crooked also in the angle of a square. A peculiar salute reserved solely from senior officers in the order to their contemporaries.

His right hand was held outward at waist level, and he retracted his left hand to the center of his chest. He drew his right hand violently across his stomach. And pantomimed tearing his chest open with the left. The gesture representing obligation and the price of betrayal.

"'... my heart and bowels taken thence, burned to ashes, and scattered to the four winds that there be no more rememrance of me among men should I ever fail in this my solemn obligation.'"

Torc quoted the code, it was meant to address these situations. He knew what punishment was required, it was only a matter of rooting out the spy.

Torc was ever stoic, even in the face of betrayal. "Assemble the ranks. I will meet each man personally. And Armal this I tell you with the strictest confidence. The New Password is Ham-Bon-Ma. Go now."

The hunt was on. Quick thinking Torc wrote a new password for each member of the crew. Met with them. Confided in each of them the existence of a spy in the midst. Then gave them his assurance he trusted them implicitly. Along with an individual password. These passwords he tucked into his inner jacket pocket. The thrill of the hunt had roused him from his boredom. He would scrutinize every member of the MCC Elliptic. Changing the password with every conversation he had with them, never repeating the same password. Eventually someone would slip up.

Rolls

Survey Intelligence - (2d6)

(34) = 7

Feb 11, 2023 6:47 pm
OOC:
Who (what faction, perhaps) is Torc most afraid is spying on the MCC Elliptic? How big of a crew is on the MCC Elliptic? How many knights? How long do you think this password scheme will take to get in place and execute?
Feb 11, 2023 11:57 pm
OOC:
I don't know. I've never been a spy subterfuge is so far out of my characters element that I cant even begin to speculate on the effectiveness of plans.

It would probably take weeks even months for the plan to work. Nothing addressing espionage will be a quick fix. And being able to trust no one would force Torc into taking as much responsibility as possible on himself.

As for the crew of the airship no more than twenty woth 3-7 knights.

As for who he fears spying from? I don't know. Has Torc done anything to be guilty about? If not then he doesnt fear spies as he has nothing to hide. The meaning of rituals are the only secrets he knows. And any presumed authority he has was certainly not something he asked for.
Feb 12, 2023 4:51 pm
Armal Fios
"I will make the arrangements."
OOC:
I have started a clock for rooting out the spy and will stay in the moment of this fiction for now.

As he steps back the crystal ship below catches his eye. The ship weaves in and out of the high clouds like a snake dancing across water. He looks at the massive mast and sails of the MCC Elliptic as the wind catches and makes them snap.

"What is the plan for this mysterious ship? It looks like it is gaining speed."

The ship continues to hurl forward in the general direction of Giacinto City.

What does Torc do?
Feb 13, 2023 1:05 am
"We will follow as best we are able. But just follow until we uncover the spy."

Torc was poring over a map with compass and protractor, a thin nearly translucent piece of paper. Taking a yard stick he attempted to extrapolate the course of the ship. It seemed in a mostly direct course to Giacinto.

Torc consulted a wind chart looking for a projected tack that would save them time on the trip to Giacinto without diverting too far away from their quarry.

Rolls

Wisdom: Hunt - (2d6+0)

(55) = 10

Feb 15, 2023 12:17 am
OOC:
It feels like Torc might also be a skilled Navigator. Is he the only navigator on the MCC Elliptic? Feels like something we could detail out as another Character Move. Or, is he doing the Navigation hoping for the luck of a beginner?
Feb 15, 2023 12:23 am
OOC:
Navigation is just geometry. So all the Black Iron Knights would be good at that. A bit of that post was me adding my own personal knowhow. I went to Army Pathfinder School when I was in the Marines.

What would applied geometry look like as a character move?
Feb 15, 2023 12:54 am
OOC:
Ok, that helps me gauge things. Gives me a better sense of what it means to be a Black Iron Knight. Thanks. You could add just that line in they "worship, study and master" the sacred geometries, and I can now see how that factors. But I think I got it now.
Feb 15, 2023 2:38 am
OOC:
I did that
Feb 18, 2023 5:05 pm
The distances between the more defined regions of the world, such as between The Quailing Heights and Khist-Nolmiriah are not fixed things. Between the regions of civilizations and humanity, are places of flux and indeterminacy.

Such flux also, in a rare case, surround locations. As it does The City of Giacinto.

Crossing the flux makes predicting travel times uncertain. Normally not an issue, but each skyship will generally double or even triple their storage, for the infrequent cases of being caught "traveling the flux."

But Torc’s expert use of the winds and the skymaps proved successful, and the MCC Elliptic emerged from the cloudbanks to see the lights of Giacinto just as the sun passed below the horizon. A scene of striking beauty. Almost everyone knows that Giacinto, an ancient city, derives most of its economy from the mines below it, and the processing in the city that turns the minerals into various useful gasses, often used in running and fueling skyships. Serveral corporations involved in that industry make their headquarters there.
There is also a pilgrimage location that those seeking forgiveness will visit.

No sign of the Crystal ship, yet. Torc got there first!

What does Torc do?
OOC:
How familiar is Torc with the City of Giacinto and why?

I think during the travel through the flux (a few days at least), Torc would have more time to root out the spy. Feel free to test again and see what sort of progress he made on that clock.
Feb 19, 2023 9:31 am
It had worked as Torc had planned. With such a difficult to remember list of pass phrases, it was eventual some would be forgotten. While the imprecise behavior of a man who would forget a code given in confidence from his superior was unfortunate, it was not a breach of trust.

Torc had memorized each pass code. So when six of his crewmembers gave another man's pass code, he knew that he had narrowed down the field considerably. The violation of his strict confidentiality was telling.

Four falsified codes were given. Two from Jubal, a mechanic. Two from Laban, a scullion. One from Darwin, one of his own Shieldbrothers. And one from Memnoch, the ship's carpenter.

He had to be careful proceeding. But found he was learning a great deal about intrigue, quite quickly. Four drafts of false orders were made. Each kept in strict confidence, each secreted to each man regarding the next course of action. Each was to report the orders directly to Black Eye Armal.

The Flux was an excellent way to monitor the behavior's of the men who had become suspect. Torc was watching them hawkishly. Making a list of their routes, duties, and interaction with others. There was no reason to suspect there was only one spy.

The magnificent skyline of Giacinto was a welcome break from the monotony of traveling the Flux. Torc appreciated the spires of glass and metal, marveling at the magnificent human creation. He had never seen the city apart from lithographs which did not do it justice. And so inspiring was the sight he ordered a shipwide recreation for two hours. Using the time to observe his suspects as they broke from their regular duties.

Rolls

Intelligence (Study) - (2d6+0)

(44) = 8

Feb 19, 2023 7:01 pm
OOC:
Nice. I'll advance the clock two ticks. What else does Torc do in preparation for the Crystal ship, anything?
Feb 20, 2023 2:29 am
Torc in his recreation time decided to give the crew a demonstration. On the main deck Torc performed the Ritual, a flourish of strikes not unlike a dance with Fume and his bastard sword. When performed perfect to form it was visually as impressive as it was beautiful. Torc didn't expect combat on the ship but it paid to be prepared.

Rolls

Constitution (Attune) - (2d6+1)

(34) + 1 = 8

Feb 20, 2023 4:34 pm
OOC:
What is Torc most worried about when the Crystal ship arrives?
Feb 20, 2023 6:04 pm
OOC:
Sabotage
Feb 20, 2023 10:32 pm
OOC:
What was Torc's goal for that Constitution Attune Roll? What was the Risk he was worried about before doing it?
Feb 20, 2023 11:11 pm
OOC:
He was just doing it as recreational he had time to do it so he did.
Feb 20, 2023 11:22 pm
OOC:
Just to recap. Torc is tracking this crystal ship. So far we have not established why, just that one of the old texts had an image of it, and Torc had a copy of it. We've established the Crystal ship is close to 5-6 times larger than Torc's ship. But Torc's ship is faster and more maneuverable.

We have established a spy is on board, but we haven't established what faction or why, only a message that there is a spy. We haven't established any particular faction that is opposed or even why one would want to spy on the Knights.

Can you remind me, where does Torc stand in the command structure? Does this ship have a Captain?
Feb 21, 2023 2:14 am
OOC:
presumably since Torc is giving orders and runnin the ship he is the captain.

As for the who why and whats I was leaving that up to you as my picture of the world state is incomplete.

I do know why theyre chasing the crystal ship though. They believe it is a sign from God and will reveal a grander purpose to life than simply existing. They are probably wrong. This is probably why there are spies as well, it neednt be anything more than religious fanaticism.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.